This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet Fall Season

I'm curious to see if Kowroski's form holds or continues to elevate. Last season people were raving about her dancing but I only got to see one Agon with her in the cast (and she was very good).  She's dancing Diamonds and 2nd Movement in Symphony in C the first week. 

Kowroski certainly has her work cut out for her (and Tyler Angle, too). While many were raving about her dancing last year (I was one), many were not (at certain points I was one of those, too). In any case, I'm also ready for some new interpreters of these roles. 

It seems the Interim Team is not going to promote. That seems a shame, especially when it comes to the male ranks. While I'd love to see Ashley Laracey take her deserved place among the female principals, I can't actually say the female ranks are thin. When it comes to the men, however, they need to step it up. If Joseph Gordon acquits himself well with his big new assignments, he would seem ready to become Principal. But what about the very thin male soloist rank? If they are going to promote men who may make it to principal one day, it's time to promote Harrison Coll, Silas Farley, and possibly Sebastian Villarini-Velez. On the other hand, they could also promote a few men who may remain as, um, "flagship soloists." Dependable, highly experienced men who could fill this bill include Daniel Applebaum, Devin Alberda, and Andrew Scordato. 

13 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Kowroski certainly has her work cut out for her (and Tyler Angle, too). While many were raving about her dancing last year (I was one), many were not (at certain points I was one of those, too). In any case, I'm also ready for some new interpreters of these roles. 

It seems the Interim Team is not going to promote. That seems a shame, especially when it comes to the male ranks. While I'd love to see Ashley Laracey take her deserved place among the female principals, I can't actually say the female ranks are thin. When it comes to the men, however, they need to step it up. If Joseph Gordon acquits himself well with his big new assignments, he would seem ready to become Principal. But what about the very thin male soloist rank? If they are going to promote men who may make it to principal one day, it's time to promote Harrison Coll, Silas Farley, and possibly Sebastian Villarini-Velez. On the other hand, they could also promote a few men who may remain as, um, "flagship soloists." Dependable, highly experienced men who could fill this bill include Daniel Applebaum, Devin Alberda, and Andrew Scordato. 

So agree about Gordon. I'm excited that I'll be seeing him in Diamonds with Mearns. Looking forward to everyone's reviews/comments when the season starts. I won't be there until the 22nd.

13 hours ago, cobweb said:

I think Preston Chamblee is also deserving of more principal roles. Has he done Agon or 4T that anyone remembers? If so, which roles? Oh, I just looked at his company bio and they’re not listed. If I was AD I’d at least have him learn those two ballets. 

Edited by BalanchineFan
13 hours ago, cobweb said:

When I saw the casting for the recent tour - Reichlin did all the Bizet and Kowroski only the After the Rain PDD - I held my breath for NY casting hoping I'd get to see Kowroski in Diamonds and the Bizet one last time. I expect that her technique will not be what it was 5 years ago, but I'm sure its still strong enough, and there's no one I'd rather see in those roles.

I can wait for new interpreters, especially remembering the last new  ballerina to be given 2nd movement Bizet- Sterling Hyltin who was totally miscast.

2 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

I think Preston Chamblee is also deserving of more principal roles. Has he done Agon or 4T that anyone remembers? If so, which roles? Oh, I just looked at his company bio and they’re not listed. If I was AD I’d at least have him learn those two ballets. 

I like Chamblee the best in roles where his elegance shines, rather than the leotard ballets or modernist pieces. For example, he's been leading the third movement of Glass Pieces for awhile, and to me he lacks the requisite angularity and force. But in, say, the corps of "Diamonds" and other similarly grand, elegant pieces, he really stands out. MHO. 

To echo a couple of comments in the other thread, Georgina Pazcoguin is a treasure and so, so underused in the Balanchine rep. Also hope to see Olivia Boisson, Meaghan Dutton-O'Hara, and Sasonah Huttenbach in more featured roles.

Happy to see Concerto DSCH  and Prodigal Son on the schedule.

Less happy to see West Side Story AND Something to Dance About AND Carousel.

On 9/10/2018 at 7:31 PM, cobweb said:

But what about the very thin male soloist rank? If they are going to promote men who may make it to principal one day, it's time to promote Harrison Coll, Silas Farley, and possibly Sebastian Villarini-Velez. On the other hand, they could also promote a few men who may remain as, um, "flagship soloists." Dependable, highly experienced men who could fill this bill include Daniel Applebaum, Devin Alberda, and Andrew Scordato. 

I would love to see Coll and V-V getting promoted. The last three names however do not excite me in any way. Come to think of it, the male corps ranks is not rich in talent either, certainly so compared to the female corps members.

On 9/11/2018 at 11:55 AM, cobweb said:

I like Chamblee the best in roles where his elegance shines, rather than the leotard ballets or modernist pieces. For example, he's been leading the third movement of Glass Pieces for awhile, and to me he lacks the requisite angularity and force. But in, say, the corps of "Diamonds" and other similarly grand, elegant pieces, he really stands out. MHO. 

I really like Chamblee in Not Our Fate. He’s great dancing with Taylor Stanley and partnering him, seems to me he could partner Reichlen in Agon or do one of the leads in 4T. Personally, I like him in Glass Pieces, to each their own. I haven’t seen him in any of the princely roles.

Silas Farley seems more princely to me, and in fact he’s danced Titania’s Cavalier and the Nutcracker Cavalier. There was a moment in one of Justin Peck’s pieces where Farley and Miriam Miller were face to face (they made eye contact and smiled at each other) and I thought they’d make a great partnership, both so tall and long. 

I see a lot of promise in the men’s corps de ballet. Women, too. I’m not sure how you could compare them. I suppose we haven’t quite seen young male performances at the level of say Unity Phelan or Indiana Woodward, but they’re there. Why do you think otherwise about the men?

The past several years I haven’t seen her dance much. She danced Concerto Barocco with Maria K last spring or winter. She dances Helena in Midsummer, when they’re performing it. She did Kammermusik a few years back .... she’s lovely, but in the period I’ve been going to NYCB she just hasn’t danced that much. 

43 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

The past several years I haven’t seen her dance much. She danced Concerto Barocco with Maria K last spring or winter. She dances Helena in Midsummer, when they’re performing it. She did Kammermusik a few years back .... she’s lovely, but in the period I’ve been going to NYCB she just hasn’t danced that much. 

Abi Stafford has been in the company for a long time (18 or 19 yrs). She became something of a Martins favorite when she joined and moved through the ranks quickly. Martins cast her in everything with very mixed results IMO (I saw a pretty awful Theme and Variations). Then she was out with injuries for a long time and at some point had a baby. She's probably around 36 at this point. The past few seasons, she's been healthy, and I've found her enjoyable in every role I've seen her in. She brings a certain intelligence and naturalness to the stage, and has a solid technique. I'm glad to see her being given more stage time.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:54 AM, ABT Fan said:

I wouldn’t mind that. In which piece are you thinking? 

I'm not a NYer so I can only suggest from afar that if NYCB is short on appropriate male partners for roles he already knows.....he could save the day.  

On 9/11/2018 at 9:00 AM, nysusan said:

When I saw the casting for the recent tour - Reichlin did all the Bizet and Kowroski only the After the Rain PDD - I held my breath for NY casting hoping I'd get to see Kowroski in Diamonds and the Bizet one last time. I expect that her technique will not be what it was 5 years ago, but I'm sure its still strong enough, and there's no one I'd rather see in those roles.

I can wait for new interpreters, especially remembering the last new  ballerina to be given 2nd movement Bizet- Sterling Hyltin who was totally miscast.

I’m of the opposite opinion. I wish they’d let a few more women do 2nd movement Bizet. All the women who dance it have been doing it for quite some time (Kowroski, Mearns, Reichlen). They’re each good in their different ways but it would be so exciting to see someone new take a crack at it. 

I remember Sterling dancing it. Justin Peck partnered her IIRC. She was good, but not earth shattering. They usually cast the taller women. Is that why you say she was miscast?