This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Finlay Resigns, Catazaro and Ramasar Suspended -- Update: Catazaro and Ramasar Fired

I'd be interested to know of past suspensions (specifically for inappropriate behavior) of dancers in major ballet companies, as I have a sense that such suspensions have different ramifications and are treated/viewed differently in different professional fields. Does anyone have a sense from past examples of what this might mean for a dancer's career (and particularly for that of a dancer with principal status)?

1 minute ago, nanushka said:

I'd be interested to know of past suspensions (specifically for inappropriate behavior) of dancers in major ballet companies, as I have a sense that such suspensions have different ramifications and are treated/viewed differently in different professional fields. Does anyone have a sense from past examples of what this might mean for a dancer's career (and particularly for that of a dancer with principal status)?

Not easy for Ramasar, I would think. He is 36, and has been on Broadway for a while so had to get back into "ballet rep" shape, as it is.

As far as the impact on casting goes, yes this is bad news. Male principal rank was already strained before this. 

Second reaction is will CF continue dancing? It doesn't sound like his resignation was forced. I wonder if he had thought it through or was he already experiencing some burn-out re. dancing.

41 minutes ago, vipa said:

Not easy for Ramasar, I would think. He is 36, and has been on Broadway for a while so had to get back into "ballet rep" shape, as it is.

Since Ramasar and Catazaro are being suspended without pay I wonder if they'll be able to take class at SAB to stay in dancing shape. I know injured dancers, and other dancers returning from Broadway have done that. Depending on the nature of the offense that might still be allowed.

I am bereft that i will not be seeing Amar dance this fall. Just bereft. Though he may still perform in Fall for Dance in the piece with Tiler Peck. I don't much care what he's done, if they're able to keep it quiet I would see him dance again in a heartbeat. Of course I say that in complete ignorance. The other two... meh. They are both quite promising, but not mature artists.

Edited by BalanchineFan
24 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I’m disappointed that this article includes quotes from negative reviews by Macaulay on two of the guys in question. Was that really necessary?

I suppose that the intention might have been to provide some context re the potential impact on the company and the season at hand, in which case it does come off a bit like "Meh, no real biggie despite our breathless lede."

About that lede ... "New York City Ballet — three weeks from its fall season and still reeling from the departure of its longtime leader, Peter Martins —" Hmmm ... I don't know what it's like inside the company, but it certainly doesn't look to be reeling from the outside.  

49 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I’m not sure it was an official suspension, but there was that time that Nilas Martins was caught with cocaine while in a car with Ramasar up in Saratoga, and then Martins was pulled from that summer season. These articles seem to indicate he may not have danced again until the winter season. He was already 40 at the time and bowed out quietly three years later, I believe.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/dance-article-1.264938%3FoutputType%3Damp

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/ballet-dancer-pleads-guilty-cocaine-charges-article-1.237922%3FoutputType%3Damp

This is the first time I can remember reading an official statement about a dancer being suspended from a North American company, with or without pay.  Dancers contracts are so short as it is, and there's no obligation to re-up them.  These are different times.

Macaulay has now posted about this on his Instagram. There's a suggestion in the comments that NYCB should hire Whiteside and McGee Maddox seems to be perhaps suggesting himself. But I agree with Kathleen--there are several tall dancers in the lower ranks who could get new opportunities.

2 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

The complainant may not have been the person or persons to whom the communications were sent. 

Exactly.  The person who was the recipient of the improper communications was not necessarily the person who wrote the letter of complaint to NYCB.

16 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

Since Ramasar and Catazaro are being suspended without pay I wonder if they'll be able to take class at SAB to stay in dancing shape. I know injured dancers, and other dancers returning from Broadway have done that. Depending on the nature of the offense that might still be allowed.

I had already forgotten about the “without pay” part. I wonder if they will lose their benefits during the suspension as well. 

2 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

There's plenty of talent further down in the ranks. 

Joseph Gordon, Aaron Sanz, Roman Mejia (though he's not tall)... I saw Silas Farley in his Concerto Barocco debut last spring. He was great and he's plenty tall... 6'3" or 6'4" is my guess.  Maybe we'll be seeing more of them.

9 minutes ago, Rock said:

Boy you said it Kathleen. Harrison Ball, Harrison Cole, Joe Gordon, Roman Mejia - and others as well. 

Harrison Ball hasn't danced in quite some time due to injury.  Anyone know if he is now ready to return? 

Now that Finlay is gone, that substantially increases the possibility that Joe Gordon will get promoted sooner rather than later.  And maybe Harrison Coll will finally get out of the corps.

Just now, BalanchineFan said:

Joseph Gordon, Aaron Sanz, Roman Mejia (though he's not tall)... I saw Silas Farley in his Concerto Barocco debut last spring. He was great and he's plenty tall... 6'3" or 6'4" is my guess.  Maybe we'll be seeing more of them.

Yes, I also like Silas and he's definitely tall. Wasn't he been cast as half of the two-bodied king with Walker in The Most Incredible Thing because they were the tallest? I seem to vaguely recall reading about it.

And am I the only person who thinks the NYT is sometimes kind of a "pro NYCB?"  Like why do they continually have to clarify in parentheses re: Martin?  Are they afraid of libel?  Why do they call up bad reviews to trash Finlay and Catazaro?  

I remember thinking that the Washington Post gave a slightly more even-handed account of the Martins scandal. 

Edited by balletforme
5 minutes ago, FPF said:

Yes, I also like Silas and he's definitely tall. Wasn't he been cast as half of the two-bodied king with Walker in The Most Incredible Thing because they were the tallest? I seem to vaguely recall reading about it.

That casting would make sense, and one would have had to read about it, since there was no telling who was in that costume from the audience!

A few years ago they had a huge number of debuts as Sugar Plum Fairy, perhaps 18 corps de ballet women debuted it in one season (some of you must remember). Maybe they'll do the same thing this year with the men... a Parade of Princes.  I also see a lot of opportunities going to Taylor Stanley. He's a beautiful dancer and I don't think he's done Agon. He's not super tall, but I saw him partner one of the taller women (I've forgotten who it was...Tess? Maria?) and they looked great together.

2 minutes ago, balletforme said:

Like why do they continually have to clarify in parentheses re: Martin?

One reason to do this is to give the complete picture, so that someone doesn't run with the accusation only.  I've seen this pretty regularly when someone was indicted, but not convicted.