This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Nutcracker - Costa Mesa

Casting is now out (and before their Fall season....).

Interestingly, Murphy/Whiteside are given only 1 performance (maybe due to their own schedules). Also, Abrera's partner for two performances is TBA. Hammoudi was paired with her last year.  Would love to see Royal get it.

Debuts for Forster/Shevchenko (especially thrilled for Forster). I was really expecting to see a debut for either Brandt or Trenary as Clara this year.

Edited to add: it's also telling, in addition to not casting Hammoudi, Gorak also hasn't been cast as The Prince (he has also danced this part before, though not last year). 

https://www.abt.org/events/the-nutcracker/

Edited by ABT Fan

I already rolled the dice with my subscription and have tickets--not sure how I have been able to "select" Copeland's shows so well without casting two years in a row now, but I will be exchanging into Lane and/or Shevchenko. Have to decide if I want to keep the Abrera ticket or not--love her, love her in the role, but haven't been able to work out seeing Sarah Lane as Clara since the Nutcracker decamped here.

13 hours ago, ksk04 said:

I already rolled the dice with my subscription and have tickets--not sure how I have been able to "select" Copeland's shows so well without casting two years in a row now, but I will be exchanging into Lane and/or Shevchenko. Have to decide if I want to keep the Abrera ticket or not--love her, love her in the role, but haven't been able to work out seeing Sarah Lane as Clara since the Nutcracker decamped here.

I feel like you can't go wrong either way, but I'd be very curious to see Lane. She was lovely in this at BAM, but she was often paired with Gorak, who struggled with the partnering. And I got the sense that the fed off of one another's nerves (in a bad way). So, I'd be very curious to see how she does with Hoven, who's capable of partnering much larger dancers than Lane. I wonder if they will go for the leap into the torch lift, rather than doing it as a dead lift. I look forward to hearing reports! 

Edited by fondoffouettes
10 hours ago, AB'sMom said:

I wish Segerstrom would send out emails when there are casting updates, but I guess they don’t want to flood inboxes with too many emails. I only heard about it from the ABT Gillespie School kids and then went to the website to see if they were right. 

Are all the children in the Nutcracker students from the ABT Gillespie school?

Most of them, but the height limit is 5’2” (and I actually think it was kept a little shorter this year), so there are always a few from other schools. Harlequinade will only be kids from the ABT Gillespie School. The height limit was upped to 5’3” for that show. There are a lot of kids rehearsing both shows for the next couple of months. 

59 minutes ago, AB'sMom said:

Most of them, but the height limit is 5’2” (and I actually think it was kept a little shorter this year), so there are always a few from other schools. Harlequinade will only be kids from the ABT Gillespie School. The height limit was upped to 5’3” for that show. There are a lot of kids rehearsing both shows for the next couple of months. 

Thanks. Maybe, another Cate Hurlin would emerge from the present Claras.

When Cate Hurlin was Clara as a kid they told her she was going to be the next Gillian Murphy. My daughter was one of the Claras the past two years and they joked that if Cate was the next Gillian, then my daughter was the next Cate. It was sweet, but we don’t take it too seriously! The experience is great for all the kids.

4 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Casting re-shuffling continues.

Hoven has replaced Cornejo in all three of his performances. He's still dancing w/ Lane, so Hoven is doing five (!) Nuts.

I just checked the calendar and it seems Hoven replaces Cornejo for all Nutcracker perfs.

10 hours ago, AB'sMom said:

I just bought more tickets, this time for Shevchenko/Forster. Hopefully that casting doesn’t change—I’m determined to see a cast I haven’t seen before. 

I think you will love Shevchenko.  Her Swan Lake last spring season was extraordinary.

Edited by sz