Jump to content
ABT Fan

2018 Nutcracker - Costa Mesa

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Casting is now out (and before their Fall season....).

Interestingly, Murphy/Whiteside are given only 1 performance (maybe due to their own schedules). Also, Abrera's partner for two performances is TBA. Hammoudi was paired with her last year.  Would love to see Royal get it.

Debuts for Forster/Shevchenko (especially thrilled for Forster). I was really expecting to see a debut for either Brandt or Trenary as Clara this year.

Edited to add: it's also telling, in addition to not casting Hammoudi, Gorak also hasn't been cast as The Prince (he has also danced this part before, though not last year). 

https://www.abt.org/events/the-nutcracker/

Edited by ABT Fan

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the information.  I will definitely be there for Shevchenko and Forster! 

Share this post


Link to post

Glad Forster is getting a chance! Exciting to see Lane/Hoven cast together.

Share this post


Link to post

I already rolled the dice with my subscription and have tickets--not sure how I have been able to "select" Copeland's shows so well without casting two years in a row now, but I will be exchanging into Lane and/or Shevchenko. Have to decide if I want to keep the Abrera ticket or not--love her, love her in the role, but haven't been able to work out seeing Sarah Lane as Clara since the Nutcracker decamped here.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ksk04 said:

I already rolled the dice with my subscription and have tickets--not sure how I have been able to "select" Copeland's shows so well without casting two years in a row now, but I will be exchanging into Lane and/or Shevchenko. Have to decide if I want to keep the Abrera ticket or not--love her, love her in the role, but haven't been able to work out seeing Sarah Lane as Clara since the Nutcracker decamped here.

I feel like you can't go wrong either way, but I'd be very curious to see Lane. She was lovely in this at BAM, but she was often paired with Gorak, who struggled with the partnering. And I got the sense that the fed off of one another's nerves (in a bad way). So, I'd be very curious to see how she does with Hoven, who's capable of partnering much larger dancers than Lane. I wonder if they will go for the leap into the torch lift, rather than doing it as a dead lift. I look forward to hearing reports! 

Edited by fondoffouettes

Share this post


Link to post

The TBA for Stella Abrera’s partner has been filled in with.....(drumroll)......Aran Bell. 

Share this post


Link to post

I wish Segerstrom would send out emails when there are casting updates, but I guess they don’t want to flood inboxes with too many emails. I only heard about it from the ABT Gillespie School kids and then went to the website to see if they were right. 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, AB'sMom said:

I wish Segerstrom would send out emails when there are casting updates, but I guess they don’t want to flood inboxes with too many emails. I only heard about it from the ABT Gillespie School kids and then went to the website to see if they were right. 

Are all the children in the Nutcracker students from the ABT Gillespie school?

 

Share this post


Link to post

Most of them, but the height limit is 5’2” (and I actually think it was kept a little shorter this year), so there are always a few from other schools. Harlequinade will only be kids from the ABT Gillespie School. The height limit was upped to 5’3” for that show. There are a lot of kids rehearsing both shows for the next couple of months. 

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, AB'sMom said:

Most of them, but the height limit is 5’2” (and I actually think it was kept a little shorter this year), so there are always a few from other schools. Harlequinade will only be kids from the ABT Gillespie School. The height limit was upped to 5’3” for that show. There are a lot of kids rehearsing both shows for the next couple of months. 

Thanks. Maybe, another Cate Hurlin would emerge from the present Claras.

 

Share this post


Link to post

When Cate Hurlin was Clara as a kid they told her she was going to be the next Gillian Murphy. My daughter was one of the Claras the past two years and they joked that if Cate was the next Gillian, then my daughter was the next Cate. It was sweet, but we don’t take it too seriously! The experience is great for all the kids.

Share this post


Link to post

Boylston has replaced Murphy at the 7pm 12/15 performance (with Whiteside).

Share this post


Link to post

Aran Bell has been replaced in his debut. Whiteside fills in w/ Abrera at the matinee on the 22nd. I think Abrera/Bell had their first show at the matinee on the 16th (?), but Abrera is no longer listed there. Seo/Stearns now are.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh no! I have tickets for the matinee on the 16th. I wanted to see Abrera/Bell. 

Share this post


Link to post

Casting re-shuffling continues.

Hoven has replaced Cornejo in all three of his performances. He's still dancing w/ Lane, so Hoven is doing five (!) Nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Casting re-shuffling continues.

Hoven has replaced Cornejo in all three of his performances. He's still dancing w/ Lane, so Hoven is doing five (!) Nuts.

Yikes, that's a lot of torch lifting in one week.

Share this post


Link to post

I really hope no one is injured.

Yes, a lot of torch lifting for Hoven. At least he's partnering two small girls though.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Casting re-shuffling continues.

Hoven has replaced Cornejo in all three of his performances. He's still dancing w/ Lane, so Hoven is doing five (!) Nuts.

I just checked the calendar and it seems Hoven replaces Cornejo for all Nutcracker perfs.

Share this post


Link to post

I just bought more tickets, this time for Shevchenko/Forster. Hopefully that casting doesn’t change—I’m determined to see a cast I haven’t seen before. 

Share this post


Link to post

Well that's the last straw for me to not keep my ticket to the show for Abrera. I've been waffling between keeping it (maybe the last time to see Abrera in it) or swapping to Lane (who I have not seen yet), and now the answer is clear!

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, AB'sMom said:

I just bought more tickets, this time for Shevchenko/Forster. Hopefully that casting doesn’t change—I’m determined to see a cast I haven’t seen before. 

I think you will love Shevchenko.  Her Swan Lake last spring season was extraordinary.

 

Edited by sz

Share this post


Link to post

I loved Shevchenko as Gamzatti and so am going to both Shevchenko-Forster performances. 

Share this post


Link to post

Adjective changed

Edited by sz

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve only heard great things about her, so I can’t wait to see her! I am also really looking forward to seeing Forster in a lead role. (I’ll be seeing him in Harlequinade as well, but that role is quite different).

Share this post


Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×