This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kurt Froman's Instagram & NYCB

Just wanted to comment on Kurt Froman's Instagram account, which features clips from the NYCB archive. His posts from the last couple of weeks are especially juicy; loads of rehearsal and interview footage, clips from infrequently-performed ballets, and videos of Suzanne.

Two comments. First, so much of the archival footage was shot over the course of Peter Martins' career. I'm amused at how much this annoys me. (More Nikolaj Hübbe videos, please!!) Seeing him in so many of these videos really highlights his predictable/unchanging stage presence; he always seems to play the role of Peter Martins, rather than adapting his stage presence to the ballet he's performing.

Second (and slightly gossipy) thing of interest: there's a recent (3 days ago) video of Suzanne talking about her fallout with Balanchine, and Darci Kistler left a couple of bizarre/salty comments on the post ("I wish Mr B. could respond !!!").

5 hours ago, sappho said:

Second (and slightly gossipy) thing of interest: there's a recent (3 days ago) video of Suzanne talking about her fallout with Balanchine, and Darci Kistler left a couple of bizarre/salty comments on the post ("I wish Mr B. could respond !!!").

Kistler comes across as being almost willfully dense in her comments. As Kurt Froman notes in his response to Kistler, Farrell is clearly discussing the events leading up to her break with Balanchine in 1969. Kistler was five-years-old at the time so she wouldn't know what anyone's state of mind was.

Edited by miliosr
38 minutes ago, lmspear said:

The post identifies the footage as an excerpt from the documentary Elusive Muse, released in 1996 over 20 years ago.  So, if your not old enough to have seen it or are old enough to have forgotten it, check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/Suzanne-Farrell-Elusive-George-Balanchine/dp/B00005KA78

...for only $140!

I've been wanting to get a copy of this awhile now but haven't been able to find a one to purchase for a reasonable price.

Thanks, @sappho, for the heads-up about this IG account.

Maybe this has been discussed here or elsewhere but I'm astounded that Froman is able to post these clips. Wasn't it a couple years ago that Devin Alberda was famously disciplined (multiple times) for taking still photos of rehearsals and performances?? Why the change in  attitude? Was it Martins that kept the lid on tightly? I always assumed the Balanchine Trust oversaw all media and was the final word in what the public was allowed to see.