This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

hello!

vendangeuse

Greetings from New York! I've been lurking on the forum for the past week or so and finally decided to register.

I've only recently become interested in ballet (I saw my first ABT performance in May of 2017) but now, I'm absolutely hooked. I've spent many wonderful evenings with my friends at Lincoln Center, the Joyce, and other theaters since then.

I originally found the forum when I was looking for further info on Interpassivities (coming to BAM this November) and I'm very pleased the search led me here! This forum seems to be a great resource for both news and discussion. I look forward to taking part in of the conversation.

Welcome to Balletalert! How exciting to have become hooked on ballet in New York City--only a few places in the world are as great for experiencing ballet -- and other kinds of dance as well. Please share your thoughts and responses when you are able...

It is very exciting! I admit I relocated to New York somewhat reluctantly from where I was previously, but discovering all the wonderful dance performances that happen here has made me love the city much more.

I saw two ABT performances in their 2017 Met season, Swan Lake and Onegin. I loved Swan Lake, but Onegin was what really drew me in. By chance I happened to attend a performance where David Hallberg was dancing Onegin and I think it was the impression his dancing left on me that encouraged me to seek out more performances when the fall came around. Then was lucky enough to catch two of the programs at City Center's Fall for Dance,  which led me to seek out other companies and venues beyond ABT and Lincoln Center. (Though I still find ABT performances to be the most consistently enjoyable, no matter what is being performed or who is dancing.)

I've been to NYCB a few times, and my feelings about that company are more mixed. Often the programs I want to attend include at least one dance choreographed by Justin Peck. His work doesn't appeal to me as much as other things I've seen, but he is growing on me. The last Peck I saw was Pulcinella Variations and I did enjoy that much more than other Peck works I had seen prior. Can't help but wonder if its the kind of thing I will come to appreciate as I learn more about ballet in general.

I also love the Joyce, but again, my luck here has been pretty hit-or-miss. I did very much enjoy seeing the Barak Ballet perform there back in July, and I am looking forward to the Sarasota Ballet this week.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

3 hours ago, vendangeuse said:It is very exciting! I admit I relocated to New York somewhat reluctantly from where I was previously, but discovering all the wonderful dance performances that happen here has made me love the city much more.

I saw two ABT performances in their 2017 Met season, Swan Lake and Onegin. I loved Swan Lake, but Onegin was what really drew me in. By chance I happened to attend a performance where David Hallberg was dancing Onegin and I think it was the impression his dancing left on me that encouraged me to seek out more performances when the fall came around. Then was lucky enough to catch two of the programs at City Center's Fall for Dance,  which led me to seek out other companies and venues beyond ABT and Lincoln Center. (Though I still find ABT performances to be the most consistently enjoyable, no matter what is being performed or who is dancing.)

I've been to NYCB a few times, and my feelings about that company are more mixed. Often the programs I want to attend include at least one dance choreographed by Justin Peck. His work doesn't appeal to me as much as other things I've seen, but he is growing on me. The last Peck I saw was Pulcinella Variations and I did enjoy that much more than other Peck works I had seen prior. Can't help but wonder if its the kind of thing I will come to appreciate as I learn more about ballet in general.

I also love the Joyce, but again, my luck here has been pretty hit-or-miss. I did very much enjoy seeing the Barak Ballet perform there back in July, and I am looking forward to the Sarasota Ballet this week.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I believe NYCB is dancing Balanchine’s Jewels in the upcoming season—that’s three very different, but (I would argue) still interrelated  Balanchine works on one program —as perhaps you know: Emeralds to Faure, Rubies to Stravinsky, and Diamonds to Tchaikovsky. No other choreographers on the program. It is a  story-less full-length ballet, but not without drama and, depending on how you look at the ballets, they do  imply stories or human interactions of various kinds. Many people and companies consider Jewels as Balanchine at his most accessible and broadly appealing, while it is still a rather sophisticated work to substantive music. Taste is very personal and I can’t know whether you would like any or all of Jewels, but if you are still learning about New York City Ballet, then I would recommend you give it a try...

Thank you for the recommendation! I do have tickets for the Tschaikovsky & Balanchine and the Stravinsky & Balanchine programs in the winter—I'll look into Jewels as well. I caught Mozartiana in May and enjoyed that very much, so I'm actively seeking out more Balanchine works this year, both at NYCB and at the City Center event in November.