This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

GALA OF THE STARS at Segerstrom Center for the Arts - 08/17/2018

GALA OF THE STARS
Orange County’s International Ballet Festival Celebrates 11th Anniversary “Gala Of The Stars” at Segerstrom Center for the Arts

Friday, August 17, 2018 at 6pm
Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall
Tickets: $55-$95
http://www.festivalballet.org/gala-of-the-stars/

2018 Distinguished Guest Artists:

Aran Bell, American Ballet Theatre
Skylar Brandt, American Ballet Theatre
Sasha De Sola, San Francisco Ballet
Matthew Golding, former Dutch National Ballet & Royal Ballet
Sebastian Kloborg, former Royal Danish Ballet
Maria Kotchekova, former San Francisco Ballet & American Ballet Theatre
Sarah Lamb, The Royal Ballet
Morgan Lugo, Royal Ballet of Flanders
Vitor Luiz, San Francisco Ballet
Svetlana Lunkina, National Ballet of Canada
Evan McKie, National Ballet of Canada
Juliano Nunes, Royal Ballet of Flanders
Chase O’Connell, Ballet West
Beckanne Sisk, Ballet West

Edited by pherank

I keep going back and forth with this because last I checked tickets were still available, but ultimately want to know what they are dancing (can't take another evening like Isadora so soon after the last). There's no one I want to see enough to throw so much caution to the wind.

I haven't been able to find a list of dances (typical with SCFPA), but Sasha De Sola and Vitor Luiz say they will be performing the Don Quixote Pas de Deux. Lunkina may be dancing the Sospiri PDD with Evan McKie. Skylar Brandt will be dancing the Flames of Paris PDD with Aran Bell. Beckanne Sisk and Chase O'Connell will be dancing Gerald Arpino’s Light Rain and Val Caniparoli ‘s Dances for Lou.

I went to last year's performance and enjoyed it tremendously, but a work commitment has gotten in the way this year and I can't get to O.C. by 6 p.m.  If you attend the entire event, you get to see the students perform as well, which was great fun to watch.   Last year there were several Royal Ballet dancers, which was a special treat.  When I saw that they added Kochetkova, I was not so sorry to miss it this year, but I would think that it would still be worth seeing for Lunkina and McKie, alone.  It's a very happy event.  

Just watched the Don Quixote excerpt from Sasha de Sola. She will probably dance Kitri in the upcoming season.  She was slated to dance it the last time SFB performed it, but an injury got in the way.   

26 minutes ago, Josette said:

I went to last year's performance and enjoyed it tremendously, but a work commitment has gotten in the way this year and I can't get to O.C. by 6 p.m.  If you attend the entire event, you get to see the students perform as well, which was great fun to watch.   Last year there were several Royal Ballet dancers, which was a special treat.  When I saw that they added Kochetkova, I was not so sorry to miss it this year, but I would think that it would still be worth seeing for Lunkina and McKie, alone.  It's a very happy event.  

Not a Masha fan, Josette?  😉
If she's dancing with Kloborg, that generally means it's going to be a contemporary piece. But I haven't found any clues as to what PDD they are dancing at the festival.