This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Met Season

4 hours ago, DeCoster said:

But Mack is only dancing one Ali (a Wednesday matinee).  I think it's obvious they are bringing him to the Met to dance Conrad with Schevchenko.  Do Scott, Klein, Maloney, or the others you mentioned have the size or the technique to pull off that partnering assignment?  I don't think they'd want to try!

One doesn't need a big fan base to get a chance on the Met stage in one of these big roles.  I saw Cory Stearns debut as Conrad with Dvorovenko when he was a 22 year old corps member who most of the audience was unfamiliar with.  He had been practicing the role with Veronika Part and Dvorovenko since Gomes was injured that season, yet some of the partnering was still sketchy.  Bell has had a lot of opportunities come his way since Gomes resigned, and think it has a lot more to do with his size and skill as a partner than any fan base.

Mack has proven himself as a partner in big roles, and has danced Conrad with the English National Ballet.  I'm actually with KM on this one. Excited to see Mack, Shevchenko, Trenary, and Simkin in Corsaire on 6/15!

No, if they had wanted to go with someone in-house, I think they might have considered Forster or Royal, both of whom have partnered Shevchenko in the past. By all accounts, Forster pulled off the showy lifts in Nutcracker beautifully. But the company seems to have such limited capacity to coach new roles. 

I agree that I don't think Mack is being brought in as a box-office draw. I didn't mean to sound disparaging when I noted Mack is a former dancer from a regional company (there's nothing wrong with dancing at a regional company!), but I don't really think of him as an international star, though I may be in the minority. He seems to be more a fixture of the gala circuit rather than someone who appears frequently as a guest in full-lengths; ENO would seem to be one of his most prominent guesting gigs so far, though I believe he has also appeared in full-lengths with the national ballet companies of Ukraine and Georgia.

But would I look forward to seeing Mack? Absolutely! It feels like it's been ages since I've looked forward to seeing a new Conrad at ABT. Stearns and Whiteside do nothing for me in the role. Mack's jump looks to be huge.

Edited by fondoffouettes
On 1/9/2019 at 2:23 PM, fondoffouettes said:

No, if they had wanted to go with someone in-house, I think they might have considered Forster or Royal, both of whom have partnered Shevchenko in the past. By all accounts, Forster pulled off the showy lifts in Nutcracker beautifully. But the company seems to have such limited capacity to coach new roles. 

I agree that I don't think Mack is being brought in as a box-office draw. I didn't mean to sound disparaging when I noted Mack is a former dancer from a regional company (there's nothing wrong with dancing at a regional company!), but I don't really think of him as an international star, though I may be in the minority. He seems to be more a fixture of the gala circuit rather than someone who appears frequently as a guest in full-lengths; ENO would seem to be one of his most prominent guesting gigs so far, though I believe he has also appeared in full-lengths with the national ballet companies of Ukraine and Georgia.

But would I look forward to seeing Mack? Absolutely! It feels like it's been ages since I've looked forward to seeing a new Conrad at ABT. Stearns and Whiteside do nothing for me in the role. Mack's jump looks to be huge.

Mack's jump IS huge! I saw him here in Salt Lake City, and when he came on stage in a jete, I gasped out loud at the height of it. It was really something!

This is slightly off-topic, though apropos the matter of casting.  I read the following in the Times' article on Taylor Stanley: "Craig Hall performed the role [Apollo] in 2011 as part of a Dancers’ Choice evening in which casting was not assigned by the artistic staff but by peers." (Emphasis mine.)

Can you even imagine such a thing happening at ABT? I can't, but it sure would be interesting.

16 minutes ago, Golden Idol said:

This is slightly off-topic, though apropos the matter of casting.  I read the following in the Times' article on Taylor Stanley: "Craig Hall performed the role [Apollo] in 2011 as part of a Dancers’ Choice evening in which casting was not assigned by the artistic staff but by peers." (Emphasis mine.)

Can you even imagine such a thing happening at ABT? I can't, but it sure would be interesting.

I would love it if ABT did something like that. I imagine finally seeing Abrera in SL (or it's white swan pas, at least).

Edited by ABT Fan
13 minutes ago, Golden Idol said:

NYCB used to do that on Sunday evening of the last day of the spring season. It was really delightful. But it was discontinued a few years ago, with no explanation.

32 minutes ago, abatt said:

They discontinued the Dancers Choice because although the dancers were donating their time for free, the orchestra and other staff (stage hands, lighting and so on) were being paid.  It became an expense they no longer wanted to undertake.

Thank you abatt, that's what I thought but you confirmed it. Dancers' Choice always was a delight. I particularly enjoyed the one Jennifer Ringer lead, with the emphasis on corps members. I believe Dancers' Choice was a benefit for the NYCB Dancers' Emergency Fund, so the company must have paid the costs and given the proceeds to the fund. 

33 minutes ago, CTballetfan said:

Make your own trios will go on sale on Tuesday Jan. 29 and I would be grateful for some advice. For sure I want to see Sarah Lane and Christine Shevchenko. Which ballets of theirs should I not miss? I also am leaning toward seeing Tharp Trio. Has anyone seen this? 

I'd look for Sarah Lane partnered by Herman Cornejo -- they're doing two Corsaire's, two Manon's, and Sleeping Beauty

I'm looking forward to the Tharp Trio, but I love Tharp. In the Upper Room is mesmerizing, but I know some here don't care for it. 

1 hour ago, California said:

I'd look for Sarah Lane partnered by Herman Cornejo -- they're doing two Corsaire's, two Manon's, and Sleeping Beauty

I'm looking forward to the Tharp Trio, but I love Tharp. In the Upper Room is mesmerizing, but I know some here don't care for it. 

I agree with California's choices.  I especially recommend the powerhouse cast of Le Corsaire on June 11 and 15, with Brandt, Cornejo, Lane, Gonzalez, and Simkin on the 11th.  I happen love Ratmansky's gorgeous production of The Sleeping Beauty, though many people do not.  Lane and Cornejo have been outstanding in this ballet the past.  To help you decide, you can go to Youtube, google "Sarah Lane ballet" and some of her rehearsal videos from the 2016 tour to Paris will pop up.  Including this:  

1 minute ago, angelica said:

Oh, laurel, thanks so much for posting that gorgeous clip! But isn't that the Lilac Fairy music? Is it that Ratmansky so shortened the role of the Lilac Fairy that he was able to use that music for Aurora?

No, that's Aurora's music during the vision scene (or at least one of two different versions of it — the one Tchaikovsky originally wrote for Gold in Act III, I believe, but that came to be used for Aurora in Act II). Presumably this was recorded during a rehearsal when the Act II set wasn't in place.

2 minutes ago, nanushka said:

No, that's Aurora's music during the vision scene (or at least one of two different versions of it — the one Tchaikovsky originally wrote for Gold in Act III, I believe, but that came to be used for Aurora in Act II). Presumably this was recorded during a rehearsal when the Act II set wasn't in place.

Thank you, nanushka.

I have a different question: Their pick-3 subscription (which also opens Tuesday, 1/29) says this:

Make 3 Subscriptions are a choose-your-own package. Purchase at least three tickets to separate performances for maximum flexibility in your ABT Spring 2019 experience. Make 3 Subscribers receive the following benefits:

• Early access to additional tickets
  • Free subscription ticket exchange
  • Flexibility to choose the performances you 
    want to attend

Does that "early access to additional tickets" include seat selection? I'm thinking this is a way to get an early start. I don't think you get seat selection for the initial three though, right?

Edited by California
spelling!

In answer to your questions, California, I think that early access to additional tickets means you can buy them before single ticket sales to the general public are open, which is generally sometime in March. I don’t think early access includes seat selection. My understanding is that the box office assigns subscription series seats for new subscribers up to a certain date before single ticket sales go on sale yo the public, so you can’t select your single ticket seats until all subscription series seats are assigned. You are right that you don’t get to select your own seats for the initial three. But I think if you call rather than subscribe online, you may be able to put in a request for the section you want—e.g. rows C-H if you like to sit near the stage in the orchestra.   No guarantee, though, that they will be able to honor your request.

Thanks for this info. I'm positive I was able to do a choose-your-own at NYCB with seat selection. That's late in the game, after all the regular subscribers are taken care of. But it's still a big advantage.  Another advantage: I started with a pick-3. Weeks later I realized I could add 3 more and it moved me into a slightly better subscriber category. But I didn't have to do everything at once. Much better subscriber management, although I blame the Met, not ABT, for their less attractive approach to these.

7 hours ago, California said:

I have a different question: Their pick-3 subscription (which also opens Tuesday, 1/29) says this:

Make 3 Subscriptions are a choose-your-own package. Purchase at least three tickets to separate performances for maximum flexibility in your ABT Spring 2019 experience. Make 3 Subscribers receive the following benefits:

• Early access to additional tickets
  • Free subscription ticket exchange
  • Flexibility to choose the performances you 
    want to attend

Does that "early access to additional tickets" include seat selection? I'm thinking this is a way to get an early start. I don't think you get seat selection for the initial three though, right?

CTballetfan is correct about "early access to additional tickets".   After you have purchased your create your own series, you can order additional single tickets online.  You can do it right away and do not have to wait until tickets go on sale to the general public.   Unfortunately you do not get to choose your seat.   If you are planning to order them right away, you might do better to make it part of your create your own series.  But if you are planning on waiting a bit for casting changes, it is a great benefit.  I have a standard subscription, which allows me the same benefit, and have already ordered additional tickets.  While I enjoy choosing my own seats, it helps in getting tickets to popular performances.   I'm guessing that's how Osipova/Hallberg Giselle sold out so quickly last year.

38 minutes ago, NinaFan said:

While I enjoy choosing my own seats, it helps in getting tickets to popular performances.   I'm guessing that's how Osipova/Hallberg Giselle sold out so quickly last year.

The only thing I see on the schedule with that kind of attraction is the Bolle retirement on June 20. That seems likely to sell out fast.

16 hours ago, California said:

The only thing I see on the schedule with that kind of attraction is the Bolle retirement on June 20. That seems likely to sell out fast.

I agree.  While there are some performances important to me, it's personal preference, not star power like Bolle or Osipova.

1 hour ago, California said:

The Choose-3 is supposed to be available today, but it's not on-line, either on the ABT site or the Met ABT ticket site.  Any info on when/where you purchase this?

I just answered my own question. Apparently everything went on-line at noon EST. All the varied subscription option are now on the Met site. You choose section, but not seat. The Bolle retirement is $10 more than the same section for other performances.

So pleased to see that Jonathan Klein has been cast as The Boy in two performances of Whipped Cream in April, one in Iowa City, the other in Chicago.  I hope this means we may look forward to seeing him in one (or both) of the currently-TBA Whipped Cream performances at the Met in May.  I've found him to be a wonderful and vibrant young dancer, and his presence will help make the spring season that much more exciting for me!

13 hours ago, laurel said:

So pleased to see that Jonathan Klein has been cast as The Boy in two performances of Whipped Cream in April, one in Iowa City, the other in Chicago.  I hope this means we may look forward to seeing him in one (or both) of the currently-TBA Whipped Cream performances at the Met in May.  I've found him to be a wonderful and vibrant young dancer, and his presence will help make the spring season that much more exciting for me!

I think they're holding those TBA's (or at least one) at the Met for Shayer, who is still out injured. I think Klein was cast on tour because Shayer has still not recovered (Shayer was paired up w/ Trenary in prior W.C.'s).

Per ABT's Instagram, Klein just recovered himself from a shoulder injury, so it's good to see him back. He's another corps dancer who seems to have a lot of potential and needs to be utilized more. 

Also, Luciana Paris is debuting Princess Praline in Iowa and Chicago, replacing Copeland (I have no idea why Copeland was replaced).