This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Met Season

Oh my. So much to absorb.

Bolle retiring in Manon.

Hooray for On the Dnieper! 

Lane gets a Manon with Cornejo!

Good debuts for Hurlin, Royal, Forster.

Bell gets a Siegfried debut with Teuscher. And, a SB debut with Seo. And, a Corsaire debut. Wow. Are we going to see him promoted this coming year?

Very disappointed that Lane didn't get an O/O and that Forster didn't get a Siegfried.

Gorak getting a SB again. That's a good sign.

Edited by ABT Fan

I agree, a lot to absorb. I am excited for the Tharp programs. I will want to see that.

What are members thinking about Jane Eyre? Has another company performed it? If so, what was the response? 

I think I’m done with Manon.  No one can top Ferri in this. I’ll never forget it.

Also done with Swan Lake, no matter who is O/O. Anyway, casts change so you can’t ever be sure who will dance leading roles. That’s why I love NYCB—so many great ballerinas I enjoy whoever is cast.

What are others excited about? Bummed about? 

I’ll have to think long and hard before committing good money to a series when casts change on a dime. 

Edited by CTballetfan
Typo
15 minutes ago, Emma said:

4/8 weeks of Ratmansky, including full weeks of Harlequinade and Whipped Cream. Do they sell well?

If I recall correctly, neither sold particularly well last year. I can't imagine they would sell any better this year, sadly. I have seen both and do not feel like they reward multiple viewings, so I will be skipping them. I know that they do have some devotees, however.

1 minute ago, CTballetfan said:

I agree, a lot to absorb. I am excited for the Tharp programs. I will want to see that.

What are members thinking about Jane Eyre? Has another company performed it? If so, what was the response? 

I think I’m done with Manon.  No one can top Ferri in this. I’lol never forget it.

Also done with Swan Lake, no matter who is O/O. Anyway, casts change so you can’t ever be sure who will dance leading roles. That’s why I love NYCB—so many great ballerinas I enjoy whoever is cast.

I’ll have to think long and hard before committing good money to a series when casts change on a dime. 

I think the Northern Ballet has done Jane Eyre. I am excited about it, mainly because I like the book! I believe YouTube has a sample of some dramatic-looking partnering.

I will probably see Murphy and Shevchenko as O/O, as well as Lane, Trenary, or Murphy as Aurora. 

I have to say, I am bummed about no Giselle! It's my favorite story ballet. Oh well, I'm sure it'll come back next year.

Edited by mille-feuille
29 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Oh my. So much to absorb.

Bolle retiring in Manon.

Hooray for On the Dnieper! 

Lane gets a Manon with Cornejo!

Good debuts for Hurlin, Royal, Forster.

Bell gets a Siegfried debut with Teuscher. And, a SB debut with Seo. And, a Corsaire debut. Wow. Are we going to see him promoted this coming year?

Very disappointed that Lane didn't get an O/O and that Forster didn't get a Siegfried.

Gorak getting a SB again. That's a good sign.

Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Other things to mention:

Glad to see an all Tharp program. Shocked Copeland didn't get a second O/O. Hammoudi is cast in virtually nothing. And, what about Shayer??

Clearly, all of their hopes for the the next leading man/principal are all pinned on Bell. I didn't see his Romeo, but in what I've seen I do think he has a lot of potential and absolutely want to see him developed. But, what about the other guys? Very unfortunate that neither Hoven nor Forster got a big debut. They're both in their early to mid 30's, so if it's not happening next year, I doubt it will. 

Hallberg cast in 3 performances - 2 Des Grieux, 1 SL. Not holding my breath on any of those.

3 minutes ago, nanushka said:

What is the debut for Forster? I was really hoping for something, but I don't see anything listed.

He's getting debuts in On The Dnieper (Sergei) and the male lead (Rochester) in Jane Eyre. But, I was also hoping for a Siegfried as well.

1 hour ago, CTballetfan said:

I'm very excited to see Trenary revisit Sleeping Beauty, and if Gorak can pull it together partnering-wise, they could be glorious together in that ballet. The all-Tharp program looks great, as well. 

Hopefully they are saving TBA slots in Whipped Cream for Shayer and/or Klein, if they recover from their injuries. 

45 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Hallberg cast in 3 performances - 2 Des Grieux, 1 SL. Not holding my breath on any of those.

Especially the SL. I thought he didn't even like the role, based on his book.

Edited by fondoffouettes
2 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

He's getting debuts in On The Dnieper (Sergei) and the male lead (Rochester) in Jane Eyre. But, I was also hoping for a Siegfried as well.

Oh thanks, I didn't realize ABT calendar had casting listed already too. I was control-F-ing his name on the announcement and was disappointed not to see anything.

Edited by nanushka

I'm excited about the Tharp program. Deuce Coupe goes back to Kevin M's Joffrey days. I wonder who is going to stage it. I wish they were doing Push Comes to Shove, but the Tharp program should be entertaining.

The principal women all seem to have a fair amount to do. Brandt and Trenary have enough principal roles to warrant being promoted. I wonder if KM will promote them before there are any retirements. 

I'm not a fan of full length story ballets in general, and the idea of a piece of literature like Jane Eyre being a ballet doesn't attract me. Dear Reader, I don't see how the tone of the book can be captured. So, I'll rely on your reviews of that, Manon and other full lengths but will be attending the rep nights.

40 minutes ago, Dancerboy90210 said:

Disappointed that Stella isn't getting more "prime time" roles. Boylston with Hallberg in Manon... feel like that should've gone to Stella... (Bolyston doesn't have the maturity in her dancing to pull it off, but seems like Kevin is trying his best to force it to happen, like Seo). 

Yes. I also just realized that Abrera isn’t getting an Aurora either, though she did it last time around. And, she was lovely. 

25 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Yes. I also just realized that Abrera isn’t getting an Aurora either, though she did it last time around. And, she was lovely. 

Casting is a difficult thing and a zero sum game. Does the AD give Abrera opportunities because she doesn't have many years left? Or does he give younger dancers opportunities, so they develop and get chances to do roles before they hit their mid to late 30's. Personally I believe management let Julie Kent go on for too long. It's not an easy thing. When I look at casting, who should lose an Aurora so Abrera gets one? I'm sure we all have opinions, but it is a zero sum game.

1 hour ago, vipa said:

I'm not a fan of full length story ballets in general, and the idea of a piece of literature like Jane Eyre being a ballet doesn't attract me. Dear Reader, I don't see how the tone of the book can be captured. So, I'll rely on your reviews of that, Manon and other full lengths but will be attending the rep nights.

That's where I come out on any number of 20th-century story ballets but video suggests Marston's approach and vocabulary ends up looking quite different from the Cranko/Macmillan line of literary adaptations and I find myself unexpectedly tempted to give Jane Eyre a chance--and of course simply taking it as an entirely different animal than the novel. If I could do a trip that combined the ballet with something else (say the All Tharp evening the night before the premier), then it might be worth it to me. Though, like Emma above, I'd be happier if I could combine it with NYCB across the plaza--which I can't. (A lot depends on whether it appears that I will get to UK for Bolshoi which would likely blow my travel budget.)

Edited to add: I just noticed, too, a premier by Ratmansky to the Glazunov Seasons. I enjoy that score and wonder why choreographers don't turn to it more often. Don't think I will get to see that, but I certainly would love to do so.

Edited by Drew
1 hour ago, Dancerboy90210 said:

(Bolyston doesn't have the maturity in her dancing to pull it off, but seems like Kevin is trying his best to force it to happen, like Seo). 

I think because over the years the role of Manon has become a vehicle for mature ballerinas, we forget that Manon is a 16-18 year old girl who gets sidetracked on her way to live in a convent. And we should also not forget that Antoinette Sibley always had a youthful exuberance to her dancing.

While I’m not saying whether or not Boylston would be a good Manon, I actually believe that a lack of maturity is what the role requires.

11 hours ago, vipa said:

Casting is a difficult thing and a zero sum game. Does the AD give Abrera opportunities because she doesn't have many years left? Or does he give younger dancers opportunities, so they develop and get chances to do roles before they hit their mid to late 30's. Personally I believe management let Julie Kent go on for too long. It's not an easy thing. When I look at casting, who should lose an Aurora so Abrera gets one? I'm sure we all have opinions, but it is a zero sum game.

I think they should have given Stella either the lead in Manon or the lead in Jane Eyre.  They will probably only do Jane Eyre this coming season and the following season and then put it to rest, so there was no reason to contemplate long term future casting with respect to that ballet.

50 minutes ago, abatt said:

I think they should have given Stella either the lead in Manon or the lead in Jane Eyre.  They will probably only do Jane Eyre this coming season and the following season and then put it to rest, so there was no reason to contemplate long term future casting with respect to that ballet.

I feel exactly the same way -- it really would have been nice for them to give her a starrier role (and the challenge of taking on a new ballet). With regard to Manon, I think Abrera would be a much better fit for the role than Murphy, who already has plenty of other major roles this season.

But I'm not against Manon being cast young, either. I think that's why Sarah Lane could be great in this role. While she's not exactly young for a dancer (34), she can read very young/innocent, which should suit the Manon who's on the way to a convent. And given the profound acting abilities she has shown in Giselle, I can't wait to see what she she does with the Manon who becomes a vampy, alluring courtesan. 

Edited by fondoffouettes
12 hours ago, vipa said:

It is a difficult thing, I agree, and someone (a dancer, a fan...) is always going to be unhappy with whatever outcome. Where there's a "winner" there's going to be a "loser" when there are only so many performances to go around.

However, though I think they've done a good job with spreading the casting love around this time (compared with last season especially), Abrera I feel should have been given at least one juicy role. She'd be exquisite as Manon. Maybe she'll get cast well in the Tharp trio or in the new Ratmansky ballet. 

Added: I see fondoffouettes posted something similar while I was still typing.

Edited by ABT Fan
21 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I feel exactly the same way -- it really would have been nice for them to give her a starrier role (and the challenge of taking on a new ballet). With regard to Manon, I think Abrera would be a much better fit for the role than Murphy, who already has plenty of other major roles this season.

I completely agree.  Although I will probably go see Murphy in Manon out of curiosity, she is not a good fit for the role and she has plenty of other lead role assignments.  

Surprised that Ferri is not cast in Manon. Is the Ferri comeback tour coming to an end?

Edited by abatt