This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Met Season

I love the Ashton "Cinderella" but the production that ABT borrowed was a dingy, faded, tired affair with muddily painted drops that was unworthy of the company.  Try to find a better physical production, pronto!

I love Ashton's "Birthday Offering", Massine's "Gaité Parisienne" and Ashton's "Les Patineurs" (Boy in Blue perfect for Daniil, Gorak and the departed Cirio)

ABT should have bought the Munich "Paquita" scenery and costumes and had Ratmansky remount it for ABT.

"Raymonda" is so beautiful but hasn't been done in SO long.  I would love a Ratmansky reconstruction for that.

"Manon" should have Hee Seo (she is their "Juliet" of choice currently so "Manon" is definitely something she would do but I wouldn't be that interested), Misty Copeland (she is sensual enough and technically there is nothing she can't handle), Stella Abrera, Ferri as a guest artist.  However, Sarah Lane might not be attracted to playing a prostitute - such an immoral character might not jibe with her religious beliefs.  Marianela Nunez as a guest artist?  How about Osipova as Manon?  Boylston, Trenary, Brandt, Murphy and Teuscher I really have no interest in seeing in the role.  Murphy is a possibility and so is Christine Schevchenko.  I actually would love to see Melanie Hamrick do the part!

"La Bayadere" and "Harlequinade" will return - I suspect that "Don Quixote" and "Giselle" will go on rest.

"Swan Lake" returns every season and "Romeo and Juliet" almost every season, so those are good bets.  I need to catch up on Stella's Juliet and Sarah Lane needs to debut her Juliet.

Edited by FauxPas
5 hours ago, FauxPas said:

However, Sarah Lane might not be attracted to playing a prostitute - such an immoral character might not jibe with her religious beliefs.

I can't imagine Lane would refuse a role out of religious conviction. She strikes me as very much a professional.

40 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I can't imagine Lane would refuse a role out of religious conviction. She strikes me as very much a professional.

I agree.  She might draw the line in other places.  I remember when Boston Ballet did Kylian's Bella Figura, several dancers would not dance in it because of the nudity.

6 hours ago, bingham said:

Any news on the 2019 Met season yet?  The Times usually mentions, accurately, the ballets for the spring season in The New Season issue.

The 2018 schedule was announced the last week of October 2017, judging from postings on this site.  There were a few hints earlier of specific ballets, but no schedule.

TBH, I’m not optimistic re casting or programming. ABT has a way of disappointing me in that regard. Seems like audiences kind of need a break from the Ratmansky full-lengths. Golden Cockerel was a fail and Harlequinade didn’t seem to sell well either but maybe I’m wrong. But if they are doing the 2 years on, 1 year off, wouldn’t Sleeping Beauty be on tap for 2019? 

I’d like to see some Ashton and Tudor but I am doubting very much we will see either.

As for Bolle, if he does retire I think we can count on seeing him in either Giselle or R&J. If it’s R&J, I doubt ABT would pass up the opportunity for a Bolle/Copeland performance. 

2 hours ago, Fleurfairy said:

TBH, I’m not optimistic re casting or programming. ABT has a way of disappointing me in that regard. Seems like audiences kind of need a break from the Ratmansky full-lengths. Golden Cockerel was a fail and Harlequinade didn’t seem to sell well either but maybe I’m wrong. But if they are doing the 2 years on, 1 year off, wouldn’t Sleeping Beauty be on tap for 2019? 

I’d like to see some Ashton and Tudor but I am doubting very much we will see either.

As for Bolle, if he does retire I think we can count on seeing him in either Giselle or R&J. If it’s R&J, I doubt ABT would pass up the opportunity for a Bolle/Copeland performance. 

I don't think SB would come back this year. It's safe to say that Harlequinade and Whipped Cream will since they're doing it on tour before the Met season, and I can't imagine they'd have 3 Ratmansky full lengths on the schedule. But, stranger things have happened. 

I also doubt a Bolle/Copeland R&J retirement performance. Seo is his most frequent ABT partner and they have a very good rapport. Bolle sells the house very well on his own (if not completely sells it out) as does Copeland, obviously, so ABT would be smart to let him choose Seo, if he wishes, and keep Copeland paired up with someone else.

Yesterday during his meeting with Moscow spectators at the Bakhrushin Museum David Hallberg was asked about his ABT spring season.  He replied that he will be doing only two ballets: “Manon” with Isabella Boylston and “Swan Lake”.   I think it is safe to assume that “Manon” is returning... 

abatt, I don't choose Boylston in the tragic romantic roles but she did get very good reviews in Swan Lake or Giselle (can't remember which) last spring season. I'm still skeptical though, and frustrated that she'd be cast with Hallberg who is a much better fit with Stella imo.

19 minutes ago, Barbara said:

abatt, I don't choose Boylston in the tragic romantic roles but she did get very good reviews in Swan Lake or Giselle (can't remember which) last spring season. I'm still skeptical though, and frustrated that she'd be cast with Hallberg who is a much better fit with Stella imo.

Especially if Hallberg is only dancing two ballets! I'm excited to see Manon, but can't help but be a little salty that his participation in the Spring season will be minimal. And this after skipping out on the Fall season entirely (though with the ballets they've chosen, I can't really blame him.)

10 minutes ago, vendangeuse said:

Especially if Hallberg is only dancing two ballets! I'm excited to see Manon, but can't help but be a little salty that his participation in the Spring season will be minimal.

As long as he and ABT are up front from the outset regarding his scheduled assignments, I don't have a problem with him doing only a few shows.  What really bothers me and others is when ABT advertises that he will be appearing in certain ballets for months, and then he is suddenly replaced because he doesn't feel like doing that role anymore or because he got a better or more interesting offer elsewhere.  

35 minutes ago, Barbara said:

Yes, Boylston does get good reviews in some tragedies. In fact, the NY Times thought she gave a better performance than Hallberg when they were partnered together in R&J last season.  I didn't see the performance.

That's fair, abatt. (Although I thought last Spring he got pulled from a bunch of his shows because of his injury?)

This does make the questions raised in the 'Roster in Review' thread all the more interesting though, doesn't it, if even Hallberg is only scheduled to perform a handful of times?

3 hours ago, Mirseng1 said:

Yesterday during his meeting with Moscow spectators at the Bakhrushin Museum David Hallberg was asked about his ABT spring season.  He replied that he will be doing only two ballets: “Manon” with Isabella Boylston and “Swan Lake”.   I think it is safe to assume that “Manon” is returning... 

Well, he certainly deserves the distinction of "guest artist" as opposed to "principal dancer" now more than ever. (Along with Bolle....)

So, he's returning to Swan Lake with ABT; I wonder with whom? And, I wonder if this means that Giselle will be retired for a season or two, since he didn't mention it, or if he's simply not doing it this time around.

1 minute ago, ABT Fan said:

And, I wonder if this means that Giselle will be retired for a season or two, since he didn't mention it, or if he's simply not doing it this time around.

They've done Giselle for two years running now, and that's one that's typically been given every third year (or so) off, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

4 minutes ago, abatt said:

Does that leave open one spot for another Manon?

I would guess Hee Seo might do it? (Has she in the past?)

ETA: Actually no, it's not listed in her rep. I would think it'd be a good fit (thought I'm not a particular fan of either her or the ballet).

Edited by nanushka
5 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Well, he certainly deserves the distinction of "guest artist" as opposed to "principal dancer" now more than ever. (Along with Bolle....)

So, he's returning to Swan Lake with ABT; I wonder with whom? And, I wonder if this means that Giselle will be retired for a season or two, since he didn't mention it, or if he's simply not doing it this time around.

I won't be holding my breath for the Hallberg's return to Swan Lake, following his aborted return to Bayadere last season, as much as I'd like to see him return to that rep, rather than just dance GiselleOnegin and MacMillan ballets for the rest of his career.

4 hours ago, abatt said:

I assume Manon will be the next stop on the Ferri Comeback Tour, and that Bolle would be her partner.  No doubt Misty will ge the role too.  Does that leave open one spot for another Manon?

It could be a good vehicle for Abrera at this stage of her career. (Oops -- I see you already suggested this above!)

Edited by fondoffouettes
8 hours ago, vendangeuse said:

Especially if Hallberg is only dancing two ballets! I'm excited to see Manon, but can't help but be a little salty that his participation in the Spring season will be minimal. And this after skipping out on the Fall season entirely (though with the ballets they've chosen, I can't really blame him.)

Salty, I like that description and share it.

7 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Guest artist, I'm afraid so.

6 hours ago, abatt said:

I assume Manon will be the next stop on the Ferri Comeback Tour, and that Bolle would be her partner.  No doubt Misty will ge the role too.  Does that leave open one spot for another Manon?

Misty/Manon - No!

It is depressing to think about the upcoming Met Season, because the casting options are so unexciting. What a tragedy to potentially have Stella cast as Manon alongside Sterns or Whiteside (that is if she gets cast). Imagine the potential of a Stella/Marcelo Manon. One can dream... 

Seems like they're trying to make the Bolyston/Hallberg pairing a new thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if he dances Swan Lake with her. McKenize seems intent on shoving Bolyston, Seo and Copeland down our throats, but they're not international stars (on their abilities alone), not even close. Their trajectories don't seem to indicate the potential to get there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Manon be cast with Bolyston, Seo, Copeland and maybe a guest appearance by Ferri, but no Lane, Abrera, or even Murphy (rather see her get a go at the role, over the other options). 

I used to love the ABT Met Season. International ballet stars performing productions that are vehicles are superstars. Every night was a true "occasion". These productions don't work with two regional level performers (with clearly limited rehearsal time and a limited bench of coaches) and are even worse when they pair an international star, like Hallberg, with someone that isn't anywhere near his level. This mis-sizing/miscasting is more apparently then anywhere, on the Met stage (empty seats, unexcited crowd, Odile's that cannot do 32 foutettes ever, etc.). Certainly not an "occasion". 

Between this and the Met Season being downsized to 5 weeks, seems like ABT needs a new direction. How much longer until the board pushes for a change? The product is clearly declining. Clearly a talent crisis, with no path out.. 

Edited by Dancerboy90210
17 hours ago, Dancerboy90210 said:

Seems like they're trying to make the Bolyston/Hallberg pairing a new thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if he dances Swan Lake with her. McKenize seems intent on shoving Bolyston, Seo and Copeland down our throats, but they're not international stars (on their abilities alone), not even close. Their trajectories don't seem to indicate the potential to get there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Manon be cast with Bolyston, Seo, Copeland and maybe a guest appearance by Ferri, but no Lane, Abrera, or even Murphy (rather see her get a go at the role, over the other options). 

I used to love the ABT Met Season. International ballet stars performing productions that are vehicles are superstars. Every night was a true "occasion". These productions don't work with two regional level performers (with clearly limited rehearsal time and a limited bench of coaches) and are even worse when they pair an international star, like Hallberg, with someone that isn't anywhere near his level. This mis-sizing/miscasting is more apparently then anywhere, on the Met stage (empty seats, unexcited crowd, Odile's that cannot do 32 foutettes ever, etc.). Certainly not an "occasion".

I try to avoid what I consider to be lackluster performances as well, but I hardly count Isabella Boylston as a regional level dancer.  She has an amazing jump comparable to Osipova, and whips off 32 fouettes without the blink of an eye.   Her Odile has always been sensational, and her Odette has now become breathtakingly beautiful.  

10 minutes ago, Barbara said:

I'd rather see Shevchenko or Teuscher get a Manon with Hallberg rather than Boylston.  But if he does indeed do Swan with Boylston I'd give that a go based on reviews. 

I'd love to see Shevchenko and/or Teuscher get a Manon with Hallberg as well.