This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cleveland Ballet's Nutcracker

nanushka

My very first experience with ballet came when my older sister took me to see Nutcracker at Cleveland Ballet, near where I grew up. I was instantly hooked.

Cleveland Ballet, headed by former ABT dancer Dennis Nahat, later became Cleveland San Jose Ballet then moved exclusively to San Jose in 2000. A new company, also called Cleveland Ballet, opened in 2014. (More info is available here.)

I was delighted to recently find the video below, which — though amusingly dated — contains a good deal of footage of Dennis Nahat's Nutcracker production. One of the four ballerinas profiled is Karen Gabay, the dancer I originally saw as "Maria" (though this would have been a few years later — in maybe 1985).

I'm curious if anyone else has memories of Cleveland Ballet, of their Nutcracker, of their Swan Lake or Coppélia (which I also subsequently saw), or of anything else about the company. In any case, I thought others who may have seen this production years ago might also enjoy the memories.

Oh boy, this brings back memories. Nanushka, sounds like we both grew up close to each other - me, closer to Akron. I knew Cleveland Ballet well (Ohio Ballet even better). I remember Karen Gabay and her husband, Raymond Rodriguez. They were stars. I never saw their Nutcracker (I'll have to watch your video later), but I did see their Swan Lake with Cynthia Gregory. Me and a bunch of my fellow ballet students took a road trip to see it and that was our first experience seeing a full-length and a true prima ballerina live. I was blown away. I know I saw them in other productions (mixed rep, perhaps, but I think Romeo and Juliet too w/ Gabay). There's another Cleveland dancer I'm trying to remember. After she retired, she came to NYC and taught ballet at Steps for several years. She had a "Gillian Murphy" quality about her but her name escapes me.

35 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Oh boy, this brings back memories. Nanushka, sounds like we both grew up close to each other - me, closer to Akron. I knew Cleveland Ballet well (Ohio Ballet even better). I remember Karen Gabay and her husband, Raymond Rodriguez. They were stars. I never saw their Nutcracker (I'll have to watch your video later), but I did see their Swan Lake with Cynthia Gregory. Me and a bunch of my fellow ballet students took a road trip to see it and that was our first experience seeing a full-length and a true prima ballerina live. I was blown away. I know I saw them in other productions (mixed rep, perhaps, but I think Romeo and Juliet too w/ Gabay). There's another Cleveland dancer I'm trying to remember. After she retired, she came to NYC and taught ballet at Steps for several years. She had a "Gillian Murphy" quality about her but her name escapes me.

Yes, Raymond Rodriguez is Gabay's partner in the video, and I'm pretty sure I saw them together in this. The choreography shown looks quite decent, for the most part, and there's some nice dancing by all the leads.

I never got to see Cynthia Gregory dance with the company, though I distinctly remember seeing her photo among the principal dancers in their season souvenir book (which I wish I still had). I'd never heard of her at the time, but just from her picture and brief bio I could tell she was a star. (Her headshot, if I recall, was rather striking and alluring, with bare shoulders and a lovely long neck.) I remember wishing desperately that she'd be the Odette/Odile on the date I went, but she wasn't, and I have no memory of who was.

Edited by nanushka