This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Which is the best ballet between Giselle and The Sleeping Beauty?

Hi!

The next year at La Scala theater there be Giselle and The Sleeping Beauty with Svetlana Zakharova, and I love so much both the ballets! But I can go to see only one, because I don't live in Milan: so, which one do you advice me to see live? And what is the ballet in which Zakharova expresses herself better between these two? I hope in your answers. Bye! 

P.S. I know it's too early to think at it, but I want to have a clear idea 😊

Thanks so much! I also think that, in fact Svetlana Zakharova is one of my favorites in Giselle. But The Sleeping Beauty will be staged after 12 years at La Scala in the version of Nureyev, and so I wanted to see how she was in this ballet and how was the ballet in itself in this version. I've seen her only in the version of Grigorovich (on Youtube) and she had a fantastic technique, but yes, I prefer her in more lyrical roles, as Odette, Nikiya or Giselle. The guest star for The Sleeping Beauty is Polina Semionova, but I don't like her so much. What do you think of her? 

4 hours ago, Mariangela said:

Thanks so much! I also think that, in fact Svetlana Zakharova is one of my favorites in Giselle. But The Sleeping Beauty will be staged after 12 years at La Scala in the version of Nureyev, and so I wanted to see how she was in this ballet and how was the ballet in itself in this version. I've seen her only in the version of Grigorovich (on Youtube) and she had a fantastic technique, but yes, I prefer her in more lyrical roles, as Odette, Nikiya or Giselle. The guest star for The Sleeping Beauty is Polina Semionova, but I don't like her so much. What do you think of her? 

It has been some years since I saw Polina (at ABT in Swan Lake) but she is too cool for me. Lovely limbs and positions but no emotion. Of course that is something that can improve over time.

1 hour ago, aurora said:

It has been some years since I saw Polina (at ABT in Swan Lake) but she is too cool for me. Lovely limbs and positions but no emotion. Of course that is something that can improve over time.

Thank you Aurora! In your opinion, which is the best ballet between Giselle and The Sleeping Beauty with Svetlana Zakharova and for the ballet in itself? :)

You can never watch enough Giselles. I will suggest you to go with it. Sleeping Beauty is grander, in terms of amount of variations, stage time, music score and costumes design, but the shorter Giselle has everything you can ask for, including the emotional/psychological aspect that SB lacks. And of course...for every terrifying Beauty's Rose Adagio there is always an equally terrifying Giselle's Pas Seul, so you will have the same fun carefully analyzing the ballerina technical ability or lack of.

Go with Giselle.

7 minutes ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

You can never watch enough Giselles. I will suggest you to go with it. Sleeping Beauty is grander, in terms of amount of variations, stage time, music score and costumes design, but the shorter Giselle has everything you can ask for, including the emotional/psychological aspect that SB lacks. And of course...for every terrifying Beauty's Rose Adagio there is always an equally terrifying Giselle's Pas Seul, so you will have the same fun carefully analyzing the ballerina technical ability or lack of.

Go with Giselle.

Thank you so much! :)

The La Scala Sleeping Beauty contains a lot of oddities and the extra choreography for the prince upsets the balance for me as the emphasis is to some extent taken away from Aurora.  Giselle would be my preference though personally I'm not a Zakharova fan.

As we're talking Giselle, this recently turned up on my Facebook page, now I expect everyone here has already seen it but I hadn't.  So beautiful the rest of the world melted away as I watched it.

On 7/5/2018 at 12:00 PM, Mashinka said:

As we're talking Giselle, this recently turned up on my Facebook page, now I expect everyone here has already seen it but I hadn't.  So beautiful the rest of the world melted away as I watched it.

Thanks for the video. I had seen it, along with an interview of Alonso in which she's asked about her favorite Albrecht. The list was long along her long career, including Dolin, Youskevitch, Eglevsky, Bruhn, Semyonov, V.Vasiliev and Atanassoff. About Bruhn she says that by the time they danced it, she had had more than a decade dancing the role, and he was very young, and that it had been a pleasure to intrduce him to the ballet. Interestingly, she calls Eglevsky her most "exciting" Albrecht, and Youskevitch the one she put her blindness at his disposal, giving him her absolute trust. "I could throw myself on the air and I knew, without seeing him, that he was going to be there to catch me"

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155946534619191&id=647664190

Edited by cubanmiamiboy