CharlieH

Ratmansky’s Bayadere in Berlin (4 Nov. 2018 premiere)

7 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Berlin Staatsballett will be premiering Ratmansky’s reconstructed Bayadere on Nov. 4, 2018, with repeat performances spread out through February 2019. Some details here:

https://www.staatsballett-berlin.de/en/spielplan/la-bayadere/04-11-2018/718

New designs will be by longtime Ratmansky collaborator Jerome Kaplan. 

My wife and I have planned a trip for this. Anyone else going?

I'm so jealous! I looked at my schedule every which way, but can't make a trip to Berlin work this season. Please tell us all about it and let's hope they bring it back in 2019-20.  I'd also love to see Simkin with his new company.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Berlin Staatsballett will be premiering Ratmansky’s reconstructed Bayadere on Nov. 4, 2018, with repeat performances spread out through February 2019. Some details here:

I am afraid a trip to see this is not in the cards for me. I look forward to reading your response to the production.

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Hum. Tempting! I might join, Charlie.😎

It's 3 hours with 2 intermissions. I remember Mariinsky recon version was almost 4 hours with 3 intermissions. Something missing?

Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2018 at 3:53 PM, cubanmiamiboy said:

Hum. Tempting! I might join, Charlie.😎

Good. Always a pleasure seeing you at major premieres, Cubanmiamiboy (Cristian)! You’ll enjoy the wonderful art museums close to the Unter den Linden theatre...Pergamom and others.

On 7/1/2018 at 12:14 AM, mussel said:

It's 3 hours with 2 intermissions. I remember Mariinsky recon version was almost 4 hours with 3 intermissions. Something missing?

I was thinking the same, Mussel. It’s not like Ratmansky to cut his Petipa-era ballet stagings. Yet, we've read “clues” that, with this Bayadere, Ratmansky might be rethinking (reinterpreting?) the story, rather than slavishly reproducing every step in the Stepanov notes. So will it, like Grigorovich, end with a very short destruction of the temple following the Shades act? If there’s no full A4, will the Gamzatti-Solor-led Pas d’Action shift back up to the Betrothal act’s diverts, as in the Soviet version? Will Ratmansky opt to not stage the adorable Lotus Dance with children that we see in the full Vikharev recon A4? Will the A2 Staggered Dance (a.k.a. “Dance of the Slaves”) for a character corps (12 ladies & 4 Men), wearing golden pagoda-like headdresses, be cut?

Finally, let’s not forget that this new production will have brand-new designs by Jerome Kaplan. No ca-1900 Imperial sets and costumes as we saw with Vikharev’s recon for the Mariinsky. Yet, I’ll travel with an open mind, as always.

p.s. There’s a chance that the “3 hours with 2 intermissions” was a guess by the webmaster, based on any past Bayadere staged in Berlin? How would the webmaster know the actual running time of this new-old version, if the staging is in process? 

Edited by CharlieH

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:41 PM, CharlieH said:

Hello Charlie, yes I, too, am going; I will be attending the premiere and I'm really looking forward to it!

I'm especially curious to see how Ratmansky will be staging the adage and variations of the Grand Pas d'action of the fourth act since, unfortunately, those passages are not notated. However, Lupokhov's essay on La Bayadere may have some answers for the adage. As for the variations, they did survive through the recollections of past dancers and are used in Nureyev's production. I'm also curious to see how the destruction of the temple and the apotheosis will be staged.

I certainly hope you and your wife will enjoy the production, Charlie. :)

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, CharlieH said:

I was thinking the same, Mussel. It’s not like Ratmansky to cut his Petipa-era ballet stagings. Yet, we've read “clues” that, with this Bayadere, Ratmansky might be rethinking (reinterpreting?) the story, rather than slavishly reproducing every step in the Stepanov notes. So will it, like Grigorovich, end with a very short destruction of the temple following the Shades act? If there’s no full A4, will the Gamzatti-Solor-led Pas d’Action shift back up to the Betrothal act’s diverts, as in the Soviet version? Will Ratmansky opt to not stage the adorable Lotus Dance with children that we see in the full Vikharev recon A4? Will the A2 Staggered Dance (a.k.a. “Dance of the Slaves”) for a character corps (12 ladies & 4 Men), wearing golden pagoda-like headdresses, be cut?

Finally, let’s not forget that this new production will have brand-new designs by Jerome Kaplan. No ca-1900 Imperial sets and costumes as we saw with Vikharev’s recon for the Mariinsky. Yet, I’ll travel with an open mind, as always.

p.s. There’s a chance that the “3 hours with 2 intermissions” was a guess by the webmaster, based on any past Bayadere staged in Berlin? How would the webmaster know the actual running time of this new-old version, if the staging is in process? 

My guess is that it could be due to union rules again, the same rules that forced to cut the panorama in The Sleeping Beauty. However, I don't see making major cuts in La Bayadere. Don't forget, Vikharev expanded some of the passages in the fourth act - the entrée and coda of the Grand Pas d'action were expanded (there are no fouettes notated for Gamzatti). Other expanded passages, i.e. the scene of Solor and Nikiya's meeting in Act 1 is in accordance with the notation scores and libretto. I certainly can't imagine Ratmansky putting the Grand Pas d'action into the second act; his aim is to undo Soviet and other 20th century changes, not retain them. We'll just have to wait and see how he manages to stage this grand ballet in three hours.