This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2018 Whipped Cream

I'm inviting some friends to come along to Whipped Cream, and I remember many on here stating that there was a discount code floating around and/or tickets available on a discount ticket site. Where should I direct people to look for discount tickets (in addition to the Met rush page)? I looked through my e-mail and couldn't find any Whipped Cream promotion from ABT, though I had received the one for Giselle. Thank you for any advice you may have!

There was a 25% discount offered by ABT, but it's no longer valid.

I just checked and discounted tickets are available on Goldstar.com Sign up with an account and search "Whipped Cream" (make sure your location is NY).  All shows are currently available.

It's been a while since I've bought anything on Goldstar since I now purchase in advance, but I believe you can't pick a specific seat, only the theater section.

I recently rec'd another email from ABT with a discount:

Receive 50% off children's tickets with the purchase of an adult ticket for the July 4 and July 6 matinee performances. Apparently, no code is needed; it's an automatic discount.

I was there tonight (Monday, July 2).  It was a wonderful cast!  Stella, Sarah, Simkin, Forster.  Plus Hoven dancing his heart out in that big white sugar costume.   This was the first (ABT) ballet I've seen all season where none of the cast members set my teeth on edge.  It was such a relief and a pleasure.  

Edited by lostatthemet
10 hours ago, lostatthemet said:

I was there tonight (Monday, July 2).  It was a wonderful cast!  Stella, Sarah, Simkin, Forster.  Plus Hoven dancing his heart out in that big white sugar costume.   This was the first (ABT) ballet I've seen all season where none of the cast members set my teeth on edge.  It was such a relief and a pleasure.  

Yes! I felt like you really couldn't ask for a better cast. The Tea Flower role has so much sinuous port de bras and funny floppy movements, and I can't imagine anyone dancing it better than Stella, who really brings out the quirks in Ratmansky's choreography. (I think the only other Tea Flower I've seen is Murphy, who seemed miscast, and stiff in comparison.)  Forster, again -- what a presence onstage. Like Hammoudi and Stearns, he's very handsome, but he's actually fully engaged as a dancer it's a pleasure just to watch his ever-changing facial expressions. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he's given a couple leading roles next season, knocks them out of the park, and gets promoted. 

Lane was fantastic, even better than last year. What more could you ask for in Princess Praline? And part of what made it even better than last year was Simkin's impeccable partnering. All those quick little lifts were flawless. Simkin was adorable -- I don't remember him sticking his head in the whipped cream bowl in the finale last year! I couldn't help but laugh. Friends who had never seen him before said he looked like he was suspended from wires during his jumps. The jumps were magnificent, but you never expect less from him. 

The liquor bottle trio of Hurlin, Zhurbin and Lyle were great. I was so impressed with Hurlin, who didn't just dance well, but was such a strong comedic presence. Wow. Talk about being able to command the stage.

And a shoutout to Marshall Whiteley, who as one of the gingerbread men fully inhabited the role and made tons of funny expressions throughout the cookie dance, or whatever you'd call it, in the first act. 

I tried to stay attuned to whether Ratmansky has made any revisions since last year, but I'm not sure whether he has. After taking a swig from the pink bottle, the doctor does swan arms as he exits the stage, which elicited lots of laughs. I don't remember that from last year, but it certainly could have always been there. Also, during the finale, all the dancers onstage make a sound of anticipation before Simkin does his first big jump. Again, this is a detail that seemed new to me, but I could be wrong. Simkin also seemed to add new flourishes to some of his leaps, but I'm guessing Ratmansky has always allowed The Boy to play around with that section a bit. 

Edited by fondoffouettes
1 minute ago, nanushka said:

I completely agree. What do people imagine could be his breakout role? Siegfried or Albrecht, perhaps?

I used to think Siegfried, but after watching his Tybalt and Espada, I really think he could make an excellent Albrecht. Not that I don't think he could do a great Siegfried, I just think acting-wise Albrecht could be his game-changer. BUT, he'd need to up-the-ante on his stamina to pull off those solos. If he had the proper amount of time to rehearse and got the right coaching, I think he could be really something.

9 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I used to think Siegfried, but after watching his Tybalt and Espada, I really think he could make an excellent Albrecht. Not that I don't think he could do a great Siegfried, I just think acting-wise Albrecht could be his game-changer. BUT, he'd need to up-the-ante on his stamina to pull off those solos. If he had the proper amount of time to rehearse and got the right coaching, I think he could be really something.

I keep picturing him as Siegfried, but I've been having the same thoughts as ABT Fan...that I'd love to see what he can do from a dramatic standpoint with Albrecht.

41 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I keep picturing him as Siegfried, but I've been having the same thoughts as ABT Fan...that I'd love to see what he can do from a dramatic standpoint with Albrecht.

I'd love to see his Albrecht. And, if they revive Manon he'd make an amazing des Grieux - opposite Stella, of course. They've shown such great rapport both as Mercedes/Espada and Teaflower/Coffee.

12 hours ago, lostatthemet said:

Thanks for the review.  I’m looking forward to seeing the same Simkin Whipped Cream cast, as well as Shayer and cast.  What a shame that you had such a horrible season at ABT.  I'm not sure what set your teeth on edge, but I’ve had a very exciting season attending the full length ballets with multiple casts.   However I did skip the Firebird/Afterite performances.

What a shame that the eight week spring season has to come to an end.  I wish they could perform all year long alternating ballet and opera as is often done in Europe and elsewhere.

I have been a Tom Forster fan since the first time I saw him enter the stage in the vision scene of the prior Sleeping Beauty in his first season with ABT. I so wish I had seen him as Paris and Espada this season and have loved reading all the raves about him in this forum.    If he gets a principal role in a full-length ballet, I will make the trip to NY.   

NinaFan, I don't care for Whiteside or Boylston, which is putting it mildly.  But they were paired with dancers I did like all season, so I saw a LOT of them.   I felt like this season was pairing the best with the worst, over and over again.  I feel like great and potentially great dancers keep getting passed over in favor of lesser talents. 

When I saw Lane with Cornejo in La Bayadere, that was *magic*, even with a slightly wonky scarf dance.  Even though Whipped Cream isn't a ballet for the ages, probably, last night was also magic.  There was way too little magic this season.  But at least I got to see some great performances this year.  I agree with you - I wish the season were longer.  

Edited by lostatthemet

The entire cast of last night's "Whipped Cream" simply soared with energy, precision and personality.  Maybe Saturday afternoon's "Don Quixote" propelled the them into a new level of vigor and liveliness, but they moved together like a big, buoyant, well-oiled machine. 

Some of the ballet's choreography has definitely changed, because the action moves swiftly and easily now, and awkward moments have been eliminated.  For example, the three liquor bottles no longer stand shivering together in center stage, pointing towards stage left, as they see the doctor approaching.  Last year, that shivering-in-place went on far too long; it stopped the action cold and was tiresome.  Instead, the three bottles now spot the doctor, point, and depart quickly.  It's moments like this that have been tightened and improved.  

In addition, every single dancer now has become an identifiable character, with a personality played as broadly as possible.  This includes the formerly stoic cookie soldiers, who glare and sneer and silently roar at one another through their attack, as well as the whipped cream dancers, most of whom looked delighted and overjoyed at their swirly, frothy existence, and one of whom - Courtney Lavine - had a look of demonic delight in her eyes, like a magical imp lost in the bowl.  I've never laughed at Boris Wutki before, but last night, Roman Zhurbin really propelled his character into new territory with perfectly timed tumbles and a face that stretched like rubber between the masks of comedy and tragedy.  His agility with character is awe-inspiring.  Even the supernumeraries were excited and lively.  Last night's candy worm was Justin Souriau-Levine, the former "little mouse" from the Nutcracker.  He knows how to shake that worm's tail!  

All the leading dancers were perfection, every one of them.  They know the choreography well and flew through those tricky steps with ease.  Tom Forster and Stella Abrera were a fantastic Prince Coffee and Princess Tea Flower.  They are a smashing team and I think they would be great as Albrecht and Giselle next year!  The rapport between Sarah Lane and Daniil Simkin has grown even stronger since the season began.  Simkin really pays attention now to expressing his character's changing emotions, and how the Boy reacts to each situation, each scary or charming creature he meets.  He watched Princess Praline closely and played off her reactions.  Lane's Princess Praline is more vivacious and delirious with joy, and performs her little "happy dance" with enormous zest and speed.  Flying feet!  And speaking of flying, Blaine Hoven as Don Zucchero threw himself and his crazy costume around the stage as if he were soaring on a sugar high, and Joseph Gorak performed his Prince Cocoa solo with supreme speed and grace.  

If the company continues to perform "Whipped Cream" with such exuberance all this week, they will end a mostly dull season on a great high.  Maybe, like the rest of us, they're just eager for vacation!   

Tonight's show wasn't so great.... Arron Scott does not have the technical chops for the lead role -- his jumps have no height -- and the corps was very off in the opening scene. I would have loved to see Simkin or Cirio in this part. Cassandra Trenary and Calvin Royal were lovely as Praline and Coffee though... she nailed the fast footwork and his movements were more graceful and effortless than the other male dancers'. They both have wonderful stage presence. Teuscher was good as Tea Flower but didn't seem 100%. Loved Forster in his small role as the guy in brown with the mustache. Everything came together well for the finale but for much of the performance I did not feel like I was watching a "world-class" ballet company.

And this music really isn't great for dance... I guess Ratmansky made the best of it? 

Today's show was going so well. Skylar was especially good--her solo was so fast it was breathtaking. 

Gabe really was a marvelous boy--but then on the final big solo he fell in his first jump and seemed badly hurt. He got right up, but clearly he knew something was wrong immediately. He kept smiling,  but basically had to mark and pose his way through the solo.

They did the tosses, but didn't actually toss him in the air--just lifted him up and down.

I feel so terribly for him and hope he is ok soon.

10 minutes ago, aurora said:

Today's show was going so well. Skylar was especially good--her solo was so fast it was breathtaking. 

Gabe really was a marvelous boy--but then on the final big solo he fell in his first jump and seemed badly hurt. He got right up, but clearly he knew something was wrong immediately. He kept smiling,  but basically had to mark and pose his way through the solo.

They did the tosses, but didn't actually toss him in the air--just lifted him up and down.

I feel so terribly for him and hope he is ok soon.

Very unfortunate - we just have to hope it turns out to be a sprain, and not anything broken or torn. Fingers crossed.

Given his workload in past 2 weeks(he danced as the lead gypsy in pretty much all DonQ I saw. This week he had to dance some corp roles every day on top of his principal assignments) this was an accident waiting to happen. I hope his injury isn't a serious one.