This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2018 Fall season

14 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Would they really insert a one-off like Don Q grand pas or the White Swan from ACT II? 

I'm showing my age here, but I'm reminded of typical mixed bills in the 1980s at the Kennedy Center (and the Met, as I remember): 4 short ballets. A typical program might open with a one-act Balanchine like Symphonie Concertante, end with something thrilling like Push Comes to Shove or T&V, with a couple of things in the middle, like a Tudor and a PdD like Black Swan, DonQ, or Corsaire. Of course, they also had so many big names that this would always work. I wonder if they could pull this off nowadays.

They used to insert these types of one-off's back in the day, and also not so long ago. But, for this fall season I can't imagine them doing so, especially given the rest of the rep that's programmed. That's why I find the TBA so odd.

5 hours ago, California said:

"Pre-professional" is an advanced training level at the JKO school and others around the country: https://www.abt.org/faq/jko-school-pre-professional-division/

The Studio Company (formerly ABT II) is listed under "training" but seems to be a notch above that: https://www.abt.org/training/dancer-training/abt-studio-company/

They receive full scholarships, stipends, and do not pay a fee to participate.

This is an interesting kettle of fish that might deserve its own thread elsewhere -- how companies with affiliated schools (or not, in some cases) handle their "second" company.  The distinctions you draw here (scholarship, stipends, no "pay to play") are important signifiers -- are there others that anyone here is aware of?

2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

They used to insert these types of one-off's back in the day, and also not so long ago. But, for this fall season I can't imagine them doing so, especially given the rest of the rep that's programmed. That's why I find the TBA so odd.

I agree it seems odd, and a classical PDD from a full-length doesn't really jive with this season. Where has that particular matinee been marketed to children? Is there a special "bring a child" promotion in effect? I remember attending a matinee at City Center, marketed as family-friendly, where ABT presented Spuck's Le Grand Pas de Deux, which played well with children and adults alike, if I remember correctly:

https://www.abt.org/ballet/le-grand-pas-de-deux/

It's hard to imagine they'd revive it for a one-off, though. I wonder if they are waiting to see how ticket sales go for that matinee and will throw Copeland into a Don Q or Swan Lake pas de deux if they need a boost at the box office.

Edited by fondoffouettes
7 hours ago, California said:

"Pre-professional" is an advanced training level at the JKO school and others around the country: https://www.abt.org/faq/jko-school-pre-professional-division/

The Studio Company (formerly ABT II) is listed under "training" but seems to be a notch above that: https://www.abt.org/training/dancer-training/abt-studio-company/

They receive full scholarships, stipends, and do not pay a fee to participate.

Thank you. Scholarships and stipends are not exactly the same as salaries—so this is actually a little different than I thought.

Today ABT published this photo on their FB page of Abrera and Murphy in Symphonie Concertante -- have no idea if that's just the two ballerinas who did the photo shoot or an actual planned pairing for Fall performances. But if the latter...that's definitely a cast I look forward to reading about. (Would love to see, but won't be able...)

Edited by Drew
10 hours ago, Drew said:

Today ABT published this photo on their FB page of Abrera and Murphy in Symphonie Concertante -- have no idea if that's just the two ballerinas who did the photo shoot or an actual planned pairing for Fall performances. But if the latter...that's definitely a cast I look forward to reading about. (Would love to see, but won't be able...)

That's an old photo, and yes, those two did this piece together years ago. 

29 minutes ago, Drew said:

Didn’t realize it was an old photo. That makes its predictive value rather less...

Much as I love Abrera I'd be surprised if she was cast in it this time around. Several posters noticed a decline in her technique during the Met season, and this is a notoriously difficult ballet. Murphy might still be up to it, but I'm more expecting Teuscher/Shevchenko

On 8/1/2018 at 2:40 PM, Helene said:

Symphonie Concertante is gorgeous music.

Yes! My memories of the choreography are vague, but I'll never forget the thrill of seeing the two lead women dance to the glorious violin and viola solos in the first movement. Even if it's considered lesser Balanchine, the music is incredible.

I, too, would be surprised if Abrera were cast again. I seem to remember Kent looking tentative in the ballet next to Herrera, and she wasn't even in decline at that time.

Edited by fondoffouettes
4 minutes ago, CTballetfan said:

Any idea when ABT will announce casting? I have in mind to see one program but won’t buy tickets until I know who is scheduled to dance. Of course, with ABT, casting could change, as it often does, but I might give it a shot. 

Based on postings here on BA, last year the initial fall casting (incomplete, as I recall) came out on August 16.

Casting is taking forever to post. I won't buy any tickets until I know who is in the cast. I wonder if there's any huge benefit to ABT when it comes to ticket sales before casting goes up? I guess for audience members who aren't familiar with the company dancers and just want a night at the ballet. But there are way too many dancers I want to avoid.

On 8/20/2018 at 4:06 PM, Fleurfairy said:

Casting is taking forever to post. I won't buy any tickets until I know who is in the cast. I wonder if there's any huge benefit to ABT when it comes to ticket sales before casting goes up? I guess for audience members who aren't familiar with the company dancers and just want a night at the ballet. But there are way too many dancers I want to avoid.

I'm in total agreement, Fleurfairy. I just want to point out the interesting way in which you contextualize this-"way too many dancers I want to avoid," rather than, for example, so many particular dancers you want to be sure not to miss. I share your perspective, and was glad to read that someone else (and perhaps many others) do too.

I'm also holding out for casting before I purchase tickets, and I'm similarly puzzled over how it benefits ABT to wait this long... especially since (and this is a complete shot in the dark) but I would think people who just want "a night at the ballet" would be purchasing their tickets closer to the performance dates. It is becoming a little frustrating, too, because there are other performances (with tickets already on sale) that I want to see during those two weeks, but I feel the need to wait until I've pinned down what nights I'm going to ABT first....

But in any case it seems there are still plenty of seats for the programs I'm (tentatively) interested in.

On 8/20/2018 at 1:06 PM, Fleurfairy said:

I think the company is still on their summer break and has not started the rehearsal period. ABT is probably waiting for the rehearsals to start before deciding the casting. Just a thought

Actually, bingham, now that you mention it, I emailed the ABT Membership office today (about a matter unrelated to casting) and received an auto-reply that stated all the offices were closed until next Monday. So I suppose that's a fair indicator we won't hear until next week at the earliest?

1 hour ago, bingham said:

I think the company is still on their summer break and has not started the rehearsal period. ABT is probably waiting for the rehearsals to start before deciding the casting. Just a thought

Though, last year they released casting in August before the company returned from their break.

I'd been planning on traveling to Costa Mesa to see the Nutcracker again this year, especially if Lane and Cornejo were teamed, but alas, it seems those plans now are on hold.  I love Blaine Hoven, and it would be great to see him performing with Lane, but I'd like to see more than one performance, so it really comes down to who will be cast opposite Abrera.  (Last year her partner was Alex Hammoudi.)  But - Copeland gets THREE performances, all with Cornejo?!  I'm gagging!  They must be desperate to fill those seats.  I suppose it will make all her West Coast fans happy, but it's made me utterly depressed.

Casting is up! Not for everything though: premieres, Other Dancers, AfterRite...

Disappointed Lane didn't get a Symphonie Concertante. Surprised Abrera did.

Glad Royal and Forster were given debuts in Fancy Free. I think they'll both be great.

Also, Shayer was not given Songs of Bukovina w/ Boylston, even though he stepped in last year to replace Lendorf. She's paired with Hoven instead.

Speaking of, no Lendorf on the schedule yet.

https://www.abt.org/performances/master-calendar/

Edited by ABT Fan
35 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Casting is up! Not for everything though: premieres, Other Dancers, AfterRite...

Disappointed Lane didn't get a Symphonie Concertante. Surprised Abrera did.

Glad Royal and Forster were given debuts in Fancy Free. I think they'll both be great.

Also, Shayer was not given Songs of Bukovina w/ Boylston, even though he stepped in last year to replace Lendorf. She's paired with Hoven instead.

Speaking of, no Lendorf on the schedule yet.

https://www.abt.org/performances/master-calendar/

Lane didn't get anything. One performance of Other Dances. Even if she's in the new Jessica Lang, is that enough to keep her at ABT?

1 minute ago, Fleurfairy said:

Lane didn't get anything. One performance of Other Dances. Even if she's in the new Jessica Lang, is that enough to keep her at ABT?

The casting is dribbing out. When I wrote my post, Other Dances wasn't cast yet.

I'm glad Lane/Cornejo got at least one. I'm guessing she'll get the new Lang piece, as she's been in her work before. But, I doubt she'll be in the Dorrance one going by previous casting.