This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2018 Fall season

I avoid both Boylston and Teuscher for the reasons given above. I avoid Copeland for her technical deficiencies. I avoid Hallberg and did so back when he was at his technical height because I thought he had a wooden affect. Sad that there are so many dancers I avoid at ABT. It's rarer for me to avoid principal dancers at NYCB. 

12 minutes ago, vagansmom said:

=[...] I avoid Hallberg and did so back when he was at his technical height because I thought he had a wooden affect. [...]

I thought that when he started dancing with Osipova, he became a much richer performer in that regard. I always regretted that that pairing wasn't able to blossom into more of a true partnership (meaning regular appearances over time, not occasional events).

1 hour ago, vagansmom said:

I avoid both Boylston and Teuscher for the reasons given above.

Interesting, I find Boylston and Teuscher totally different dancers. Boylston is sloppy to the point of unbearable. I find Teuscher appealingly clean and elegant, if sometimes lacking in excitement. . Although I should add, that having greatly reduced my ABT viewing, I haven't seen a lot of either one of them lately. 

7 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Interesting, I find Boylston and Teuscher totally different dancers. Boylston is sloppy to the point of unbearable. I find Teuscher appealingly clean and elegant, if sometimes lacking in excitement. . Although I should add, that having greatly reduced my ABT viewing, I haven't seen a lot of either one of them lately. 

I think those were the same two criticisms @vagansmom may have been referring to, both made above (one by @nysusan and the other by @abatt) but could be wrong)

Edited by nanushka
On 10/30/2018 at 2:28 PM, abatt said:

I saw Symphonie Concertante several times, but only once with Boylston. When Boylston danced alongside Shevchenko in that ballet, all of Boylston's shortcomings came sharply into focus.  Whereas Shevshenko had a regal stage presence and beautiful upper body, I thought Boylston's upper body looked sloppy.   She could do all the steps, but Boylston's lack of classical epaulment  was very apparen

I find Boylston very boring.

On 10/30/2018 at 1:55 PM, nysusan said:

I was on the side in the third ring and looking down at the orchestra before the show started I thought I saw someone who looked like you! Hope you enjoyed your time in NY. 

I certainly did, Susan..via Radvanovsky's Tosca! 🤗🤗🤗

Edited by cubanmiamiboy

During ABT's Fall Season I attended four performances, three of them for the express purpose of familiarizing myself with Symphonie Concertante in preparation for the two this weekend at City Center. Why this exquisite work is not presented more often is baffling. All three casts—Stella Abrera, Gillian Murphy and Alexandre Hammoudi; Christine Shevchenko, Isabella Boylston and Blaine Hoven; and Shevchenko, Devon Teuscher and Thomas Forster—proved delightful from my position in the Fourth Ring. In terms of the actual dancing, the only blemish witnessed was Hammoudi's poor solo work. (The six demi-soloists at each performance, as well as the corps de ballet, were also highly appealing.) Nevertheless, my feeling is that it was appropriate and sensible to choose Shevchenko and Teuscher for the assignments at City Center.

To have observed last night from close to the stage how supremely well Christine Shevchenko and Devon Teuscher worked in tandem throughout Balanchine’s stately Symphonie Concertante—gracefully mirroring the interplay between the violin and the viola in Mozart’s inspired composition—amounted to another peak experience at the ballet. Truly marvelous stuff Saturday evening at City Center from ABT and these two ballerinas!

Edited by Royal Blue

Two dazzling performances of Symphonie Concertante by ABT at City Center this past weekend within the space of less than 24 hours! To say the least, it is bizarre for ABT to have upstaged NYCB at a Balanchine Festival, especially at this point in time; however, there you have it. This occurred partly on account of how seldom Symphonie Concertante is presented. Those five performances scheduled during the Fall Season were undoubtedly essential for a fuller appreciation of the ones at the festival. The dancing at City Center by Thomas Forster, as well as three female soloists and all the women from the corps in the cast was in any case impeccable. For Christine Shevchenko and Devon Teuscher these two performances marked veritable triumphs: they made every moment of the ballet's outer segments appear incontestably precious, and propelled its exalted middle one into a pinnacle of sublimity.

Interesting observations!

My previous comment, of course, was made by way of pointing out the irony in the situation and praising ABT, instead of as a means to criticize NYCB. Both Symphony in C and Concerto Barocco are works which are justifiably presented often; therefore, it is understandable that some performances of them—though still worthwhile—may seem less remarkable than others. By contrast, it was easier to be impressed by Symphonie Concertante at the festival, since performances of that ballet are infrequent. The fact remains, however, that all five renditions of the latter work I saw this fall were superb, and for that ABT deserves plenty of credit. Additionally, I feel that Shevchenko and Teuscher merit special plaudits, both for making outstanding debuts in their respective roles and for their exceptional performances at City Center.