This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I am currently in Vienna, a city I adore. Tonight I had the opportunity to attend a memorable performance of one of my ever favorite operas... Mozart's Die Zauberflote.  The place, Schönbrunn. Music by the Failoni Orchestra, Budapest. The company....., The Marionettentheater Schloss Schönbrunn. This is a traditional and wonderful curated marionette company that has revived to great success the art of the puppeteer. If you ever come to this city and the place, please don't miss the opportunity to attend one of their performances. It was really enchanting.

How great you got to see this!  Many years ago I saw the Salzburg Marionette theater staging of Don Giovanni; I thought much the staging was more conservative than it needed to be but it did make great use of the marionette "tenor" in the champagne aria -- he was dancing about and finally leaping over the furniture as he (or rather a recorded Cesare Siepi) sang the aria. I think Magic Flute is an ideal opera for marionettes, and I would love to have seen the performance you saw.