This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vaganova Academy Graduation, 2018

19 hours ago, Laurent said:

What condition was she in? 

I feel that I should remove my post because I'm unable to find any articles to substantiate what I read (I'm certain in the press) at the time. I apologize but I'll keep searching.

Added:

From Dancing Times, this is about the best that I can do for the moment: (If not considered appropriate, moderators please remove).

Ilya Kuznetsov, who wishes to stand against Tsiskaridze for election as rector, says that it was impossible for Asylmuratova to work with Tsiskaridze.

https://www.dancing-times.co.uk/asylmuratova-resigns-from-vaganova-academy/

Edited by Buddy

Ilya Kuznetsov had a significant personal interest in having the status quo preserved: he had his own network of ballet schools in Petersbourg whose graduates were "promised" to be accepted by the Vaganova Academy by some kind of informal agreement with Asylmuratova, with tacit approval by the (non-ballet) rector of the Vaganova Academy and his associates. In that brief note that you quoted, by the way, there is nothing about the "state of Asylmuratova", it contains only the news of her resignation and the quote from Ilya Kuznetsov. If one replaces the Past Tense "was" by the Conditional "would" (the important distinction lost in translation), then the quote is totally factual. It would be, indeed, impossible, for Asylmuratova to continue to have such behind the scenes, informal agreements, like the one with Kuznetsov.

Edited by Laurent
5 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Ilya Kuznetsov had a significant personal interest in having the status quo preserved: he had his own network of ballet schools in Petersbourg whose graduates were "promised" to be accepted by the Vaganova Academy by some kind of informal agreement with Asylmuratova, with tacit approval by the (non-ballet) rector of the Vaganova Academy and his associates.

Laurent, as I feel compelled to do, I'll ask you to substantiate this although it doesn't really go to the essence of the situation, nor does my quote.

I think that it is perhaps time not to belabor every detail of the last few years of Nicolai Tsiskaridze unless pertinent to the immediate situation. It's all been very thoroughly covered in the press and elsewhere.

On 6/22/2018 at 3:13 AM, Mashinka said:

I don't think Laurent has anything to substantiate, Ilya Kuznetsov does run ballets schools and it is in the public domain that he aspired to the job Tsiskaridze now has.

I think the bit that needs substantiation is the allegation that Kuznetsov had an informal agreement with Asylmuratova to push his kids into the Vaganova Academy.

As for Asylmuratova's condition, one only needs to watch the video footage of her and the previous rector's removal from the Academy, it is still floating around the internet.

I just read that ELEVEN graduates have entered Mariinsky this year!  They are: Maria Bulanova, Anita Voroshilova, Anastasia Demidova, Lada Ivanova, Daria Ionova, Anastasia Nuikina, Maria Khoreva, Rustam Azizov, Ilya Mogilnikov, Ervin Zagidullin Vakhtang Herkhulidze.

On 7/5/2018 at 11:04 AM, MadameP said:

I just read that ELEVEN graduates have entered Mariinsky this year!  They are: Maria Bulanova, Anita Voroshilova, Anastasia Demidova, Lada Ivanova, Daria Ionova, Anastasia Nuikina, Maria Khoreva, Rustam Azizov, Ilya Mogilnikov, Ervin Zagidullin Vakhtang Herkhulidze.

Thank you for this. A very big group, reminiscent of 1995! Yet, no Maria Petukhova? I wonder where she’s going.

25 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thank you for this. A very big group, reminiscent of 1995! Yet, no Maria Petukhova? I wonder where she’s going.

I do too, Charlie. To me, she's such a beautiful dancer. If anyone knows anything please post.

19 hours ago, Buddy said:

I do too, Charlie. To me, she's such a beautiful dancer. If anyone knows anything please post.

Originally Petukhova was going to Tallin, but I subsequently heard she might go to Bolshoi.  She is not on either roster at the moment.  I liked her also, Buddy - she has a lovely soft, lyrical quality.  

Edited by MadameP

I’m really more and more impressed with Maria Horeva (Khoreva) with each video viewing. Not only does she have all the fineness that you would expect from a prominent Vaganova graduate, but she also has range, part of which is her remarkable portrayal ability.

But I still don’t want to lose slight of Maria Petukhova, whom I think might be the loveliest dancer of the recent graduates. I do really hope that the Bolshoi takes her. It got Olga Smirnova and the very young Alyona Kovalyova, whom I consider to be perhaps the finest ballerinas today, especially in regard to their young ages.  If anyone knows anymore about Maria Petukhova please post about it.

Maria Petukhova

I’ve had some time this morning to watch video clips of some of the ‘ballerinas’ that currently most captivate me because of their lyrical loveliness. This is the quality that I probably prize most. They are Oxana Skorik, Olga Smirnova (based on her recent Pharaoh’s Daughter), Zhanna Ayupova (from an old Apollo performance), Alyona Kovalyova, Maria Iliushkina and Maria Horeva (Khoreva).

And I just finished watching Maria Petukhova. I mentioned in my previous post that I thought that she was perhaps the loveliest dancer of the recent Vaganova graduates. Based on what I’ve just been watching I think that she’s as lovely as all the dancers mentioned above. One quality that sets her apart is extremely lovely flow of motion. She floats like a velvet cloud.

I’ll say once again that I hope that the Bolshoi takes her. It had the very commendable insight to welcome and quickly feature Olga Smirnova and Alyona Kovalyova.  I do think that she could probably lose just a little weight. Laurent has mentioned that there might be other physical issues. Whatever the Mariinsky’s reservations were about Maria Petukhova I would hope that the Bolshoi could find a way to succeed with her. They’re certainly doing it with Alyona Kovalyova.

In any case, if she can maintain this beauty, I think that she would be a gem wherever she goes.   

Edited by Buddy
several sentences added
On 7/20/2018 at 8:33 PM, Buddy said:

Thanks, MadameP. If you or anyone else hears something for certain, please post.

b

On 8/14/2018 at 4:52 PM, Buddy said:

Maria Petukhova

I’ve had some time this morning to watch video clips of some of the ‘ballerinas’ that currently most captivate me because of their lyrical loveliness. This is the quality that I probably prize most. They are Oxana Skorik, Olga Smirnova (based on her recent Pharaoh’s Daughter), Zhanna Ayupova (from an old Apollo performance), Alyona Kovalyova, Maria Iliushkina and Maria Horeva (Khoreva).

And I just finished watching Maria Petukhova. I mentioned in my previous post that I thought that she was perhaps the loveliest dancer of the recent Vaganova graduates. Based on what I’ve just been watching I think that she’s as lovely as all the dancers mentioned above. One quality that sets her apart is extremely lovely flow of motion. She floats like a velvet cloud.

I’ll say once again that I hope that the Bolshoi takes her. It had the very commendable insight to welcome and quickly feature Olga Smirnova and Alyona Kovalyova.  I do think that she could probably lose just a little weight. Laurent has mentioned that there might be other physical issues. Whatever the Mariinsky’s reservations were about Maria Petukhova I would hope that the Bolshoi could find a way to succeed with her. They’re certainly doing it with Alyona Kovalyova.

In any case, if she can maintain this beauty, I think that she would be a gem wherever she goes.   

Buddy, Vaganova’s Facebook page today confirmed that Petukhova has indeed gone to Tallin. I wish her a happy and healthy career there. 

20 hours ago, MadameP said:

Buddy, Vaganova’s Facebook page today confirmed that Petukhova has indeed gone to Tallin. I wish her a happy and healthy career there. 

Thanks, MadameP. Had hoped to see her at the Bolshoi but join you in wishing her " a happy and healthy career." 

On 9/18/2018 at 3:08 PM, MadameP said:

Not to be forgotten.

Based on several video clips that I'm still watching -- What a lovely young dancer !

Edited by Buddy