This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vaganova Academy Graduation, 2018

23 minutes ago, canbelto said:

I do know this: the Vaganova grads since he took over have looked healthier, fuller-bodied, more muscular even, with toned calves and thighs, and stronger feet. 

Not just healthier but happier too, look at the videos, there's real joy in their dancing.

That's not an objective measure of anything. A dancer can appear happy and really be miserable. A dancer can project joy in dancing despite a horrible teacher or boss because they love doing it regardless. 

I am not addressing Tsiskaridze and the Vaganova Academy per se. I know nothing about the reality of situation and cannot comment on it. But I do know dancers who hate their bosses and smile radiantly on stage nonetheless because they love performing, and because it's their job.

On 6/16/2018 at 2:37 PM, Quinten said:

It looks like the Vaganova Jubilee will be televised on Russian TV on June 19.  Here's a link to the Google-translated page (I couldn't find the original Russian language one for some reason, sorry.)  I hope it will be streamed on this website.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ru&sp=nmt4&u=https://tvkultura.ru/article/show/article_id/262205&xid=17259,15700019,15700124,15700149,15700168,15700173,15700186,15700190,15700201&usg=ALkJrhj_Av5-GZtz53OYUvBxaUERlJUpfw

Thanks for this heads up, Quinten! I’ve alerted a fellow ballet lover in Moscow with DVR at-the-ready! :)

25 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

That's not an objective measure of anything. A dancer can appear happy and really be miserable. A dancer can project joy in dancing despite a horrible teacher or boss because they love doing it regardless. 

I am not addressing Tsiskaridze and the Vaganova Academy per se. I know nothing about the reality of situation and cannot comment on it. But I do know dancers who hate their bosses and smile radiantly on stage nonetheless because they love performing, and because it's their job.

Quite possibly, but of late I've not seen the dull parade of sullen stick insects the Vaganova used to produce pre-Tsiskaridze

52 minutes ago, Mashinka said:

Quite possibly, but of late I've not seen the dull parade of sullen stick insects the Vaganova used to produce pre-Tsiskaridze

Absolutely. Here is one Vaganova graduate of the past (2001) who turned out healthy & fabulous: Terioshkina, guest-starring as Paquita in one of this year’s graduation concerts. Courtesy of YT poster BalletOpera. 

Enjoy Terioshkina’s grand jetes. Whee!

Tereshkina observed every single accent, this alone is a rarity today; her exaggerated, ostentatious, manner, however, made her less appealing in my eyes than, for example, Khoreva, who was dancing one of the variations (said to be from the late 19th century ballet Gretna-Green (!?!) but, in reality, being the Dulcinea variation of Dudinskaya).

9 hours ago, canbelto said:

I do know this: the Vaganova grads since he took over have looked healthier, fuller-bodied, more muscular even, with toned calves and thighs, and stronger feet. 

I am not sure fuller-bodied and more muscular is something I would like to see more of, I would prefer more Lopatkinas, Zakharovas and Vishnevas, or am I advocating an unhealthy look?

And what about the men?

People don't often mention her--at least not on the websites I read--but I had been assuming Ayupova must play an important role in the new leadership of the school too . . . no??

Edited by Drew
8 hours ago, Laurent said:

Tereshkina observed every single accent, this alone is a rarity today; her exaggerated, ostentatious, manner, however, made her less appealing in my eyes than, for example, Khoreva, who was dancing one of the variations (said to be from the late 19th century ballet Gretna-Green (!?!) but, in reality, being the Dulcinea variation of Dudinskaya).

I agree.  Actually, I wonder at much of Tereshkina's casting at MT.  For me, she is no Aurora or Giselle or Odette (Odile MAYbe) and no Raymonda.  The list goes on.  Technically she is strong, but she doesn't represent Vaganova style to me, and maybe that is because she was not wholly Vaganova trained.  I cannot remember now whether she had 4 or 5 years at Vaganova, but certainly not the full course.  I find her often, as you say, ostentatious, and I also find her hard,  She just doesn't have that somewhat rarified Vaganova refinement.   Khoreva DOES  in my opinion.   Very talented girl.

10 hours ago, Drew said:

People don't often mention her--at least not on the websites I read--but I had been assuming Ayupova must play an important role in the new leadership of the school too . . . no??

Drew, this is a very good question. And others like her as well. And if not in leadership then at least in the exceptional artistic development.

Although Zhanna Ayupova was a wonderful ballerina in her time and is also an excellent coach and teacher, she does NOT have ultimate responsibility for anything at Vaganova. In everything, the decision is Tsiskaridze's. Zhanna has a second position at Mikhailovsky Theatre, where she coaches a number of important dancers, including Angelina Vorontsova. She also travels a great deal, assisting with the mounting of various productions.  She simply doesn't have the time to give Vaganova all of her attention, neither does she have the contacts, or the strings to pull to get the repertoire that Tsiskaridze has managed to acquire for the Vaganova students.  She is very much a second in command to Tsiskaridze in every aspect of the Academy, despite her title. 

It would never occur to me that Tsiskaridze wasn't "in command" so to speak or the person in charge; I just wondered a bit that no-one ever mentions Ayupova when she does have an important appointment at the school. I'm actually a little surprised to read that Vaganova doesn't get "all of her attention" -- or at least the lion's share -- given her position there...

I do remember her as quite a wonderful ballerina...

Edited by Drew
1 hour ago, Drew said:

It would never occur to me that Tsiskaridze wasn't "in command" so to speak or the person in charge; I just wondered a bit that no-one ever mentions Ayupova when she does have an important appointment at the school. I'm actually a little surprised to read that Vaganova doesn't get "all of her attention" -- or at least the lion's share -- given her position there...

I do remember her as quite a wonderful ballerina...

It's difficult for anyone to give anything their full attention when they have two separate roles/appointments in different establishments!  

Hope we see Maria Khoreva in a principal role soon.  She is off to a good start!

11 minutes ago, MadameP said:

Hope we see Maria Khoreva in a principal role soon.  She is off to a good start!

In every video that has come out of this year's graduation performances Khoreva has looked like a ballerina.

Edited by Drew
17 hours ago, Gnossie said:

Since she is the Artistic Director, she is the one who chooses the repertoire the academy performs, not Tsiskaridze. 

Kultura will livestream the 2018 Vaganova Ballet Academy graduation performance at the Bolshoi. The performance starts at 7pm on the 19th of June, Moscow time: https://t.co/ugt7CETKkGugt7CETKkG 

The link doesn't work for me -- if anybody else in the US has been able to view the stream please let me know how you did it! Otherwise we'll have to depend on forum members to share their impressions of the performance, thank you in advance.

26 minutes ago, serephy said:

I'm recording the livestream on my computer at the moment. The quality isn't amazing (particularly for sound) but I could post it unlisted to youtube if you'd like?

This is the link that worked for me. https://tvkultura.ru/article/show/article_id/262205 . It's currently the intermission between the 1st and 2nd Act

Got it!  Thanks so much!

8 hours ago, Drew said:

It would never occur to me that Tsiskaridze wasn't "in command" so to speak or the person in charge;

You were a step ahead of me on this one, Drew. I recall the condition that Altnai Asilmuratova was in when she 'left' the Vaganova. 

Edited by Buddy