This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Khoreva, Bulanova

8 hours ago, MadameP said:

Maria Khoreva is an outstanding graduate - beautiful lines, great musicality and expression, technique.  She has everything.  She is an immensely talented ballerina.  

Looking at the video clip that you posted I agree that she is indeed beautiful. 

http://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/42914-2017-2018-season/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-402042

She floats wonderfully. Whereas some dancers have highlight sculpture, she maintains her's throughout. I won't say that one way is more beautiful than the other, but what she does is quite outstanding.

Added:

Just watched a video clip of Maria Bulanova and like her very much as well. She has a looser motion, perhaps bravura-like combined with fineness and lightness. Very lovely. It's only one video glimpse but do I see something of Nina Ananiashvili ('Vaganova-Mariinsky' version) here ?

Edited by Buddy
last sentence added

Anastasia Nuykina is yet another star of the graduating class at the Vaganova Academy, at a similar level as Maria Khoreva. The difference is: she doesn't post a photo on Instagram every five minutes, as a result she is known only to the pedagogues and ballet professionals. Maria Bulanova's main strength is rotation. She spent only three years at the Academy.  A year ago it was Maria Petukhova who was the leader, ahead of Khoreva, alas, her physical development didn't help her. This is a very strong year, there are several other excellent-to-very good girls and an unusual number of really good boys. A promising 6-grader, Anastasia Smirnova, will be highlighted tomorrow in a difficult pas de deux, in the third graduation concert; for a 6-th grader she is already fantastic. Most impressive is, however, the overall level of competence, it reminds the best times at École de danse a couple of decades ago, when the likes of Christiane Vaussard were alive (literally nothing of the former glory remains today in Paris, ballet is dying there).

Edited by Laurent
4 hours ago, Laurent said:

A year ago it was Maria Petukhova who was the leader, ahead of Khoreva, alas, her physical development didn't help her. This is a very strong year, there are several other excellent-to-very good girls and an unusual number of really good boys. 

Tough call for me on Maria Petukhova, Laurent, whom I’ve just viewed for the first time on video. She dances beautifully, but, yes, weight could be a factor. It would seem that she could easily lose a few pounds if she wanted to. It would make a great deal of difference by today’s ballet standard. A century ago she may have been the ideal.

Also agree that this year’s graduating stars looks very good indeed.

Added: If weight is the issue and she didn't want to be thinner for health reasons, I certainly couldn't blame her. Good health, to me, is much more important.

Edited by Buddy
"Added" added

Looks like Khoreva's star is continuing to rise.

She, Ionova, and Nuikina recently performed the Odalisque variations for Le Corsaire.

And it looks like casting lists have been updated for some of the fall programming. Khoreva is one of the prince's friends during Swan Lake. And then Surprise! She's going to be the title role in Paquita while Bulanova, Nuikina and Ionova will be doing variations.

Edited by howpureisivory
Linked the site

Usually, Russian made point shoes like Grishko’s are shaped in a way that resembles a bell. They are also very hard. Add to this the hollowness of the stage and you get a loud sound every time the shoe lands. With Grishko’s, it doesn’t matter how much you bang them out, they still sound louder due to the bell shape. Many Russian dancers have started wearing Gaynor Minden shoes, made out of plastic, that are nearly silent and last much, much longer. Other shoes, like Freed’s, which are made as a performance shoe and break in immediately, and Bloch can be banged out before going on stage so that they are also silent.