This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Anyone watch this? 

I thought Bareilles and Groban were charming hosts, with their songs light enough to keep the evening going.

I personally was not that crazy about The Band's Visit and so them sweeping every award was kind of annoying. I would have given best actor to Henry Hadden-Patton for MFL. 

Really happy both Glenda Jackson and Laurie Metcalf won for Three Tall Women. Their performances were absolutely amazing. Also Nathan Lane for his portrayal of Cohn in Angels in America.

Thought the Parkland high school singing "Seasons of Love" was beautitful, as was the speech by David Cromer about reaching out to people who are struggling mentally.

I just can’t get enthusiastic about seeing The Band’s Visit. Agree that My Fair Lady is a fabulous production but they tried to do too much with their Tonys medley.

I was so pleased for Justin Peck with his well-deserved Tony but I hope he is able to stay focused on NYCB. The dance number from Carousel was thrilling— Amar is such a star but I miss him very much at NYCB!

On 6/11/2018 at 7:36 AM, abatt said:

Watching the performance from the Band's Visit, I felt that Lenk could barely sing.  

I was surprised how well Lauren Abrose could sing.  Have not yet seen MFL.

Yes, Ambrose has pipes - some time ago she was bruited for a Funny Girl revival that never came off. She didn't quite manage "I Could Have Danced All Night" for the medley but I don't have to see her to believe she's a good Eliza, just as I don't have to see Nathan Lane to know he's wrong for Roy Cohn. : Also, he was rude to that sweet little goat. :)

I agree with Peg that the My Fair Lady medley did not come off. I don't even see the need for a medley - when "The Rain in Spain" or "Get Me to the Church on Time" are performed with panache, either one is going to get the job done.

4 hours ago, dirac said:

Yes, Ambrose has pipes - some time ago she was bruited for a Funny Girl revival that never came off. She didn't quite manage "I Could Have Danced All Night" for the medley but I don't have to see her to believe she's a good Eliza, just as I don't have to see Nathan Lane to know he's wrong for Roy Cohn. : Also, he was rude to that sweet little goat. :)

I agree with Peg that the My Fair Lady medley did not come off. I don't even see the need for a medley - when "The Rain in Spain" or "Get Me to the Church on Time" are performed with panache, either one is going to get the job done.

I was glad to finally get to hear Lauren Ambrose sing some of the score.  I'd heard some mixed things about her singing in MFL, mostly about how well her voice was really carrying live.  The production was really keeping clips of her singing under wraps.

I think the issue has turned out to be not so much whether Ambrose can sing the part competently, but whether her voice is really in shape to sing 8 times a week.    Eliza is no joke vocally, and Kerstin Anderson has already gone on for Ambrose quite a bit.  Hopefully, it's not going to turn into another Martine McCutcheon situation where an unseasoned musical theatre performer turns in a beautiful dramatic performance, but can't keep up with the vocal demands of Eliza.

Edited by sidwich
11 hours ago, dirac said:

just as I don't have to see Nathan Lane to know he's wrong for Roy Cohn. : Also, he was rude to that sweet little goat. :)

I haven't seen this production of Angels yet, but you are underestimating Nathan Lane as an actor.  His calling card has been in musical comedy, but in recent years he has taken on more dramatic roles with success.  The NY Times, in its review of Angels, said that Lane's Cohn was a "career high". .

Well......I said I thought Lane was wrong for the part, an opinion which is consistent with Lane a) being a good actor outside of comedy --straight or musical, a view with which I agree, and b) his performance being the best thing in the current production, an assertion which I'm sure could well be correct.

:)