This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2018 La Bayadere

16 minutes ago, clrtt said:

I am at the Saturday matinee. The first intermission report..... Trenary never disappoints! A fabulous first act debut, and I am completely enjoying both Teuscher and Ahn. 

So glad to hear she's dancing well, since it sounds like she's been injured.

Did (or will) anyone see the Boylston/Cirio/Copeland cast? Would love to hear how that went (or goes tonight). Boylston seems more like a natural Gamzatti to me (as does Teuscher, in fact).

Trenary had the best Italian fouettes out of all 3 Gamzattis I've seen(Brandt, Murphy, Trenary). After seeing both Brandt and Trenary now I think Trenary is the better actress white Brandt is the better turner. Trenary didn't break her character throughout the pas and her solos whereas Brandt was visibly cautious throughout the Act1.

Interestingly Trenary's Gamzatti wasn't aware of the snake in the basket- she was upset and confused for a moment  until she realized the culprit was her father. Then she tentatively goes back to fetch Solor. This made her a more sympathetic character in the last act when Solor was accusing her of killing Nikiya. 

Ahn mostly did well considering this is his only 2nd Solor performance. It would be great if he can land the double tours smoother.

Edited by alexL

I am at the Saturday matinee. The first intermission report..... Trenary never disappoints! A fabulous first act debut, and I am completely enjoying both Teuscher and Ahn.  

A very enjoyable matinee today. Teuscher was lovely as Nakiya. I have never seen Ahn but I was very impressed with him and look forward to seeing him again. As I mentioned, Trenary was a wonderful Gamzatti. She really embodies the character and draws in the audience.

The corps in Act II was very good. It appears they have ironed out any rough edges; the audience was very appreciative with a sustained applause that lasted for quite some time. 

Overall a great day at the ballet. I am looking forward to Harlequinade later this week.

I went to see la bayadere on thursday. Isabella, jeffrey and misty. 

I thought it was very good, especially jeffrey. 

Gabe was the bronze idol, also very good.

The 3 shades were skylar, april and katie. 

Skylar is having an amazing season, a super hero!!

4 minutes ago, mimi67 said:

I went to see la bayadere on thursday. Isabella, jeffrey and misty. 

I thought it was very good, especially jeffrey. 

Gabe was the bronze idol, also very good.

The 3 shades were skylar, april and katie. 

Skylar is having an amazing season, a super hero!!

Skylar is amazing but Trenary seems to be more favored by management. I expect she will be the next principal. What is the general take on principals being cast in soloist roles? I don't recall it happening much in ABT aside from Blue Bird in SL 

A little late, but adding to the chorus of praise for Kimin Kim and Hee Seo's Friday night performance. I attended with my partner, who doesn't see much ballet and is not usually effusive about it, and he was raving about how "even he" could tell that their dancing was really extraordinary after just the first act. 

This was my first time seeing Kim and I was absolutely blown away by both his technique and artistry. So princely! His jumps made me literally gasp with delight. He really brought out the best in Seo--this was the loveliest performance I've ever seen her give. Some of her Act II variations felt under-powered and a bit less than compelling to me as well, but overall Nikiya is a role that really plays to her strengths (lyricism, fluidity, lovely use of her arms and hands). It was not as dramatically rich an interpretation as my favorite Nikiya (Veronika Part), but it was a great performance nonetheless.

Seeing Kim and Seo's wonderful chemistry made it quite stark, by comparison, how so many of the current ABT partnerships lack the same excitement. I saw Giselle with Stella Abrera and Cory Stearns earlier this season and despite my enjoyment of Stella's dancing, the performance overall fell flat for me because Stearns is so inert.  I fully support the current tack management is taking to be less dependent on guest stars and to develop their talent pipeline from within the company, but at the same time I feel starved for the kind of breath-taking dancing that Kim delivered, and that ABT used to offer in the days of Diana, Marcelo, Veronika, Nina, Malakhov, Carreno, pre-injury Hallberg and co. I think there is an argument to be made for bringing in guest stars judiciously but more frequently than this current season--especially ones like Kim who can help an ABT dancer develop via partnership. I really hope he'll be back next season. 

With everyone reporting that the Shades were much better Friday than earlier in the week, I can't imagine how awful they must have looked earlier because to me they still looked pretty ragged on Friday. I found the wobbles and lack of synchronicity to be distracting. I do agree with those who mentioned Zimmi was a standout despite being one of the least experienced dancers on the stage. I noticed her in a rehearsal I attended earlier this season and have been following her since then. If ABT doesn't give her an offer to join the corps, they're crazy!

It was noticeable to me too that Gillian was not as steely in her technique as in the past  (it seemed like she skipped balances I used to remember her doing--she is after all human and 20 years into her career), but I'd still rather see her as Gamzatti than anyone else at ABT. Her fouettés were impressive and her acting was impeccable. She brings a nuance and depth to Gamzatti, especially in Act III where we saw her experience guilt and uncertainty. Even in side-stage moments, like when she and Kim were watching Seo's Act II solo, she was compelling to watch. It's easy to play Gamzatti as a one-note villain, but Gillian gives her humanity while still preserving her hauteur. 

19 minutes ago, vipa said:

Skylar is amazing but Trenary seems to be more favored by management. I expect she will be the next principal. What is the general take on principals being cast in soloist roles? I don't recall it happening much in ABT aside from Blue Bird in SL 

Hmm well Herman Cornejo and Xiomara Reyes danced the pas de trois well after both were principals. And for many years Marcelo Gomes danced Purple Rothbart and Veronika Part and Stella Abrera Lady Capulet. So it definitely happens. Don't think there's a hard and fast rule. Sarah Lane probably has the muscle memory for the Peasant pas de deux in Giselle to do it in her sleep so I can see why she's cast.

5 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Hmm well Herman Cornejo and Xiomara Reyes danced the pas de trois well after both were principals. And for many years Marcelo Gomes danced Purple Rothbart and Veronika Part and Stella Abrera Lady Capulet. So it definitely happens. Don't think there's a hard and fast rule. Sarah Lane probably has the muscle memory for the Peasant pas de deux in Giselle to do it in her sleep so I can see why she's cast.

Interesting, it just seems to me that in terms of developing talent it would be good to give new people opportunities. Often in ABT, corps members are over qualified for what they do. Of course, casting is complicated. 

1 minute ago, vipa said:

Interesting, it just seems to me that in terms of developing talent it would be good to give new people opportunities. Often in ABT, corps members are over qualified for what they do. Of course, casting is complicated. 

I have a feeling a lot of the rehearsal time is being tied up with Harlequinade. Ratmansky demands extreme commitment if you're to participate in his projects. That might be why the Bayadere casting seemed so "huh?" 

I have a different opinion of the Saturday matinee. Devon was a mixed bag today. Her upper back was so stiff that I'm wondering if there is an injury and makes me wonder how her Swan Lake (which I loved last year) and Juliet will be. She suffered greatly in comparison to Sarah's soulful expressive turn on Wed. Where she excelled is her rock solid balances; she nailed the scarf variation. I thought Ahn was very raw with a long way to go as a good partner. Even his solos were not clean or exciting. No chemistry with either lead woman. (Why wasn't Tommy Forster given this opportunity? Or Blaine Hoven? Where has he been?) Trenary was excellent as Gamzatti! So glad to have her back. Her Italian fouettes were grand and solid. The shades were much improved today. I preferred the sharpness of Joey Gorak's Bronze Idol to Gabe's today; I often find him explosive but sloppy. All in all some things to like, others not so much. 

Edited by Barbara
5 minutes ago, canbelto said:

I have a feeling a lot of the rehearsal time is being tied up with Harlequinade. Ratmansky demands extreme commitment if you're to participate in his projects. That might be why the Bayadere casting seemed so "huh?" 

Of course,thank you for pointing that out, New ballets always get the most rehearsal hours. With a new Ratmansky full length that's on steroids  

22 minutes ago, Barbara said:

I have a different opinion of the Saturday matinee. Devon was a mixed bag today. Her upper back was so stiff that I'm wondering if there is an injury and makes me wonder how her Swan Lake (which I loved last year) and Juliet will be. She suffered greatly in comparison to Sarah's soulful expressive turn on Wed. Where she excelled is her rock solid balances; she nailed the scarf variation. I thought Ahn was very raw with a long way to go as a good partner. Even his solos were not clean or exciting. No chemistry with either lead woman. (Why wasn't Tommy Forster given this opportunity? Or Blaine Hoven? Where has he been?) Trenary was excellent as Gamzatti! So glad to have her back. Her Italian fouettes were grand and solid. The shades were much improved today. I preferred the sharpness of Joey Gorak's Bronze Idol to Gabe's today; I often find him explosive but sloppy. All in all some things to like, others not so much. 

Her arms were beautiful, but I agree. I was very disappointed. I can't tell if people wax poetic about Devon because she's tall and glamorous, or if I'm just going to her 'off' nights. I'm still excited for her Swan Lake, especially since she's paired with Cory Stearns (I assume they're still together?)

Overall this performance was much better due to the corps finally synching up. But without a believable romance, there just wasn't much to care about. It just doesn't make sense that Teuscher + Ahn got 3 performances and Lane + Cornejo got 1 (why not 2 & 2?). Maybe Cornejo didn't want to go to LA? 

25 minutes ago, Inge said:

It just doesn't make sense that Teuscher + Ahn got 3 performances and Lane + Cornejo got 1 (why not 2 & 2?). Maybe Cornejo didn't want to go to LA? 

are you sure about this ? I checked, Teuscher got 2 Bayaderes, I believe, as did Seo and Boyslton. 

Teuscher seems to be the new AD favorite, KM has a clear tendency to "fall in love" for a dancer and then he will just have her/him do everything, like nothing would be enough, no matter how ready or how good or not so good she/he performs the roles given.... We had Seo ballet theater season a coupe of years ago, and she was clearly not ready for that, still nothing stopped him.

The casting this week is a good example of how bringing 1-2 world class dancers could help to lift the quality of the performances, give Teucher, Boylston and/or Seo one show each, so they get their chance, and bring someone exciting for the remaining shows.

Edited by Classic_Ballet

I forgot to mention Catherine Hurlin. Her point shoes did not make a single noise after each landings and this rarely happens with the current ABT dancers. Loved her relaxed shoulders and easy footwork. I'd love to see her in the soloist roles more often. 

21 minutes ago, Classic_Ballet said:

are you sure about this ? I checked, Teuscher got 2 Bayaderes, I believe, as did Seo and Boyslton. 

Teuscher seems to be the new AD favorite, KM has a clear tendency to "fall in love" for a dancer and then he will just have her/him do everything, like nothing would be enough, no matter how ready or how good or not so good she/he performs the roles given.... We had Seo ballet theater season a coupe of years ago, and she was clearly not ready for that, still nothing stopped him.

The casting this week is a good example of how bringing 1-2 world class dancers could help to lift the quality of the performances, give Teucher, Boylston and/or Seo one show each, so they get their chance, and bring someone exciting for the remaining shows.

Los Angeles. Teuscher/Ahn/Shevchenko have one. All Met casts have one except Lane/Cornejo.

Edited by Inge
19 minutes ago, Classic_Ballet said:

oh ok, got it, sorry about that

Ah sry didn't meant to sound so curt. I didn't remember the Los Angeles performances either until someone mentioned it on Lane's Instagram, and she replied bluntly: 

'Our cast won't be performing in LA.'

Ouch

12 hours ago, vipa said:

Skylar is amazing but Trenary seems to be more favored by management.

I'm curious why you think so?

They both got a Gamzatti and Princess Praline this year, and Lead Maiden. Trenary was cast as Columbine in the original casting, then Brandt was put in to replace Copeland (maybe this is your reasoning, since Brandt wasn't cast in the first place?). Brandt was put in last year as Medora as a last minute sub (as was Shevchenko); not Trenary. Trenary did get SB a few years ago. I think they seem pretty aligned on roles and I could see them being promoted together, when that time comes. 

10 hours ago, Classic_Ballet said:

Teuscher reminds me more of Michele Wiles, another KM favorite who was all of a sudden cast in everything regardless of actual suitability. Like Teuscher Wiles was tall and a strong technician. Her limitations in interpretation became worse, not better, the more she was cast. I hope Teuscher doesn't go the way of Wiles.

11 hours ago, alexL said:

I forgot to mention Catherine Hurlin. Her point shoes did not make a single noise after each landings and this rarely happens with the current ABT dancers. Loved her relaxed shoulders and easy footwork. I'd love to see her in the soloist roles more often. 

A quiet landing is nice, but I've decided to not judge the ABT dancers on this particular factor while they are at the Met, a house that was meant to project sound from the stage (and, by most accounts, has excellent acoustics for opera). I was just reading about how Balanchine had the State Theater designed so that it would dampen all sound from the stage, which, of course, caused acoustical problems for NYCO for years. And, even after the recent acoustical enhancements to the State Theater to satisfy NYCO, I rarely hear the NYCB dancers' shoes. I haven't noticed if that's the case when ABT occupies that theater in the fall.

38 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

A quiet landing is nice, but I've decided to not judge the ABT dancers on this particular factor while they are at the Met, a house that was meant to project sound from the stage (and, by most accounts, has excellent acoustics for opera). I was just reading about how Balanchine had the State Theater designed so that it would dampen all sound from the stage, which, of course, caused acoustical problems for NYCO for years. And, even after the recent acoustical enhancements to the State Theater to satisfy NYCO, I rarely hear the NYCB dancers' shoes. I haven't noticed if that's the case when ABT occupies that theater in the fall.

Yes! It's a nightmare stage for dancers. I wonder if anything could be done about it? Is there a temporary way to dampen the noise? Even light, accomplished dancers like Kotchetkova can sound like an army drill in some variations at The Met. 

But yes, Hurlin's first leap in her solo was completely silent. The second, not as much, but I spent the rest of the time listening to her steps and watching her feet closely to compare them to the other Shades' landings. It was pretty incredible. 

Edited by Inge
2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I'm curious why you think so?

They both got a Gamzatti and Princess Praline this year, and Lead Maiden. Trenary was cast as Columbine in the original casting, then Brandt was put in to replace Copeland (maybe this is your reasoning, since Brandt wasn't cast in the first place?). Brandt was put in last year as Medora as a last minute sub (as was Shevchenko); not Trenary. Trenary did get SB a few years ago. I think they seem pretty aligned on roles and I could see them being promoted together, when that time comes. 

I might be overstating ABTFan but the basis for my thinking is that Trenary not only got Aurora in the Ratmansky SB but did opening night in Paris. Also, as you stated she was cast in Columbine in the original casting.

10 minutes ago, vipa said:

I might be overstating ABTFan but the basis for my thinking is that Trenary not only got Aurora in the Ratmansky SB but did opening night in Paris. Also, as you stated she was cast in Columbine in the original casting.

They are both young artists who’ve been given quite a few opportunities in recent years, but my sense (at least at this early stage of their careers) is that Trenary is a more fully developed artist, whereas Brandt goes for whiz-bang technical feats. Trenary has a certain ease, warmth and old-school glamour about her that I also find very compelling. 

Regarding Teuscher...have I been moved by her dancing yet? No. She can be a somewhat remote presence onstage. But I’m hoping her development follows the Murphy rather than the Wiles trajectory. Wiles’ dancing had a somewhat hard-edged quality, whereas Teuscher comes off as a much softer dancer, with greater potential for lyricism.

1 minute ago, fondoffouettes said:

Regarding Teuscher...have I been moved by her dancing yet? No. She can be a somewhat remote presence onstage. But I’m hoping her development follows the Murphy rather than the Wiles trajectory. Wiles’ dancing had a somewhat hard-edged quality, whereas Teuscher comes off as a much softer dancer, with greater potential for lyricism.

I feel similarly. I like her and am interested in seeing her. But she hasn't utterly wowed me yet. I thought her first attempt at Nikiya was good but on the cautious/reserved side. While she was a bit stiffer (back especially) than usual she still didn't have that brittle quality Wiles did. Wiles I believe only ever danced Gamzatti.