This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2018 La Bayadere

Perhaps we have to start a movement for Orchestra seats to be assigned by height. Young people are much taller these days than they were when I was growing up. I note that the seats in Grand Tier and Dress Circle are steeply raked. Not sure about Balcony or Family Circle.

Does anyone here know the rules about getting cushions at the Met? Some years ago, when we brought my granddaughter, they had to see that she was a child before they would give us a cushion. Can short adults get cushions? Is there a height maximum?

2 minutes ago, angelica said:

Perhaps we have to start a movement for Orchestra seats to be assigned by height. Young people are much taller these days than they were when I was growing up. I note that the seats in Grand Tier and Dress Circle are steeply raked. Not sure about Balcony or Family Circle.

Does anyone here know the rules about getting cushions at the Met? Some years ago, when we brought my granddaughter, they had to see that she was a child before they would give us a cushion. Can short adults get cushions? Is there a height maximum?

I know people who always bring their own cushions. It's a small investment if you attend performances regularly.

24 minutes ago, angelica said:

Perhaps we have to start a movement for Orchestra seats to be assigned by height.

To be clear, you are suggesting discrimination/segregation based on innate genetic characteristics? Wholly in jest, I hope!

Edited by nanushka

I am, as someone said on another thread, Sarah-Lane-size (height-wise, at least, not width-wise).  I tried to get a cushion at the opera recently and was refused on the basis of not being a child. I did not know about this rule. 

Regarding the empty seats in this round of La Bayadere....Years ago ABT threw an all star week of La Bayadere, which included: Smirnova, Terechkina, Cojocaru, Vishneva and Part.....I personally, went and saw pretty much all the shows....This year I havent attended to even one....and many abt long time fans feel the same, I am sure. The met is a huge theater to fill, no question about it, but when the casting has been of star quality people have consistently attended, for sure...once again, compare the selling of Osipova/Hallberg's Giselle versus the rest......

I dont think that ABT problems to fill the house should be resolved leaving the met, its a highly prestigious venue that I believe they should keep, although its clearly not ideal. The problems surfacing now are simply the result of the mediocrity of the casting planned week after week. Home grown talent, yes, we all advocate for that (Hallberg, Murphy, Kent, Gomes), at the expense of quality, definitely not......

52 minutes ago, abatt said:

I know people who always bring their own cushions. It's a small investment if you attend performances regularly.

abatt, I would just like to confirm this. When they inspect your bags going in, will they allow anyone to bring their own cushion? The size of a Met cushion? I once was seated next to someone who was sitting on her own cushion, but she had transferred from a wheelchair.

27 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

A year ago Sofiane Sylve attended Alessandra Ferri's performance of Onegin at the Met. She was wearing what looked like a homemade tiara made from white flowers found at a second-hand bridal store. I have no doubt it blocked the view of the person sitting behind her.

IMHO, this is morally wrong. At least take it off during the performance.

27 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

18 minutes ago, Classic_Ballet said:

I dont think that ABT problems to fill the house should be resolved leaving the met, its a highly prestigious venue that I believe they should keep, although its clearly not ideal. The problems surfacing now are simply the result of the mediocrity of the casting planned week after week. Home grown talent, yes, we all advocate for that (Hallberg, Murphy, Kent, Gomes), at the expense of quality, definitely not......

At this point, I think I'd be happier if they dropped the emphasis on homegrown talent.  It doesn't seem to be working for them anymore.  I enjoyed seeing Shevchenko, Teuscher, Lane and Brandt last year, but I didn't fall in love with them, and I think a great dancer makes you love them.  That is what is needed to fill the Met and what is missing right now from pretty much all the female principals on the roster.  I keep hoping for greatness, but then I see them, and they can't quite deliver.  They either have the artistic part down, but make too many mistakes or they have the technical part down, but not the emotional part.  I hope some of them prove me wrong, but apart from Brandt, most of them are pretty well developed as dancers by now, even if they haven't had the chance to perform specific roles.  (I do have hopes for Trenary because when I saw her as Olga in Onegin, she was riveting, and I did love her, even if Boylston was stronger technically.)

I agree that the problem is less the Met than it is the dancers, but I don't know how ABT goes about fixing that.  Bringing in guest stars provokes outcries, but it attracts an audience.  Relying on their current crop of performers isn't doing that, and I think it's a totally fair judgment on the part of the audience as to what they are seeing.  It's still ballet, it's still beautiful with many wonderful moments, but it doesn't make me long to see that particular performer again in anything and everything they do.

1 hour ago, minervaave said:

I agree that the problem is less the Met than it is the dancers, but I don't know how ABT goes about fixing that.  Bringing in guest stars provokes outcries, but it attracts an audience.  Relying on their current crop of performers isn't doing that, and I think it's a totally fair judgment on the part of the audience as to what they are seeing.  It's still ballet, it's still beautiful with many wonderful moments, but it doesn't make me long to see that particular performer again in anything and everything they do.

I agree with your post completely, to me one potential solution is "balance". Bring 2-3 big stars, and combine that with opportunities to in house dancers. Having 1-2 shows per week with a world-class casting won't hurt the growing opportunities for the home dancers. In fact, I think it would be a great experience for Trenary and Brandt, for example, to dance next to Smirnova, Nuñez, etc., . I dont understand why does it have to be all or nothing, before we had a constellation of stars  to the point that the season looked like a ballet festival more than anything else, and now we went 180 degrees opposite, practically zero guest artist this year. Considering the quality of the female principals, having no guest stars, especially after Vishneva is gone, is ridiculous to my eyes.

Edited by Classic_Ballet
6 hours ago, Classic_Ballet said:

I agree with your post completely, to me one potential solution is "balance". Bring 2-3 big stars, and combine that with opportunities to in house dancers. Having 1-2 shows per week with a world-class casting won't hurt the growing opportunities for the home dancers. In fact, I think it would be a great experience for Trenary and Brandt, for example, to dance next to Smirnova, Nuñez, etc., . I dont understand why does it have to be all or nothing, before we had a constellation of stars  to the point that the season looked like a ballet festival more than anything else, and now we went 180 degrees opposite, practically zero guest artist this year. Considering the quality of the female principals, having no guest stars, especially after Vishneva is gone, is ridiculous to my eyes.

I completely disagree.  Lane got one Nikiya this year.  One.  Who knows when she’ll get to dance it again.  If you bring in guest artists 2-3 performances a week, she likely would have gotten 0.  And dancers like Brandt and Trenary would get no opportunities as the principals above them would get all of them.

I have no problem with ABT bringing in outside talent as full company members.  They’ve tried to do this and it’s failed as of late-Lendorf, Kochetkova did not boost much whether due to injuries or lack of audience excitement.  But it has worked in the past.

10 hours ago, angelica said:

abatt, I would just like to confirm this. When they inspect your bags going in, will they allow anyone to bring their own cushion? The size of a Met cushion? I once was seated next to someone who was sitting on her own cushion, but she had transferred from a wheelchair.

Yes,  there are people who bring their own cushions.   I'm not talking about people in wheelchairs; I'm referring to people who are 100 percent mobile on their own two feet.  As far as I know, the bag inspectors don't care.  They are looking for weapons, not cushions. 

Edited by abatt

In prior years McKenzie went completely overboard in relying on guest artists, many of whom were unreliable.  Now the plan seems to be  that the school is going to produce a pipeline of  talent for ABT if we are patient.  However, I do not believe that the JKO school attracts the best talent, so I don't think the JKO pipeline is going to be a source of abundant talent in the future.  I think the best dancers flock to other more prestigious schools, not the JKO school.  While I like  a lot of the new dancers who are rising within the company,  it is highly questionable whether they  will ever become superstars who will sell massive numbers of tickets.    People are looking to attend "events", and the Osipova Hallberg performance was such an "event".

Heartedly agree with your assessment of the school Abatt!  There is nothing wrong with 'company ballerinas' if they have the talent of an Alicia Alonso or Nora Kaye,......which was the norm in the early days of Ballet Theater!!  They more than held their own with the likes of Alicia Markova and Tamara Toumanova.....

2 hours ago, Kaysta said:

I completely disagree.  Lane got one Nikiya this year.  One.  Who knows when she’ll get to dance it again.  If you bring in guest artists 2-3 performances a week, she likely would have gotten 0.  And dancers like Brandt and Trenary would get no opportunities as the principals above them would get all of them.

I have no problem with ABT bringing in outside talent as full company members.  They’ve tried to do this and it’s failed as of late-Lendorf, Kochetkova did not boost much whether due to injuries or lack of audience excitement.  But it has worked in the past.

It is complicated. I agree a big issue is performance opportunities. Back in the day ABT did extensive touring. Cynthia Gregory, as one example, had numerous Swan Lakes under her belt before doing it at the Met. Now a principal debuts a role at the Met - does it once or twice and has to wait a year for another opportunity. That is no way to build a role, career or following. It also puts a strange kind of pressure on the dancer. Unfortunately I don't know what the answer is.

Does anyone know if Rush Ticket seats are taken out of the pool of tickets available for general, full-price purchase? Tonight's performance was not well sold up until recently, but I just checked and side orchestra sections now look almost entirely sold out. I'm wondering if they are truly "sold" or just set aside for Rush. 

I attended Wednesday night and lots of seats that appeared "sold" online (up until around 5 or 6 p.m., when online ticketing closed) were actually empty in the theater.

Edited by fondoffouettes
1 hour ago, abatt said:

Yes,  there are people who bring their own cushions.   I'm not talking about people in wheelchairs; I'm referring to people who are 100 percent mobile on their own two feet.  As far as I know, the bag inspectors don't care.  They are looking for weapons, not cushions. 

Thank you, abatt. The next time I have what might turn out to be a problematic seat I'll give that a try.

The JKO school isn't considered anywhere near the top-tier schools of the country. Besides the behemoth of talent that is SAB, there's Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet, San Francisco Ballet School, the Kirov Academy in DC, and others. Maybe that will change in the future but I don't see it changing.

Would it help if ABT were to visit these schools for talent-scouting? Or is there a downside to this that hasn't occurred to me?

I would just like to add that after seeing Shevchenko as Myrta, and seeing her dance Gamzatti in the dress rehearsal, I think she has the makings of greatness.

Edited by angelica

Just noticed on Sarah Lane's Instagram that she, Shev, and Stephanie Williams are performing the Shades Trio tonight. Kind of ridiculous that they needed to sub in two principal women for roles corps girls should/could be dancing. There really is no development or role experience in the pipeline right now, is there?

Edited by Fleurfairy
4 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

Just noticed on Sarah Lane's Instagram that she, Shev, and Stephanie Williams are performing the Shades Trio tonight. Kind of ridiculous that they needed to sub in two principal women for roles corps girls should/could be dancing. There really is no development or role experience in the pipeline right now, is there?

What? Just looked at that, too. That's ridiculous and insulting to Lane and Shevchenko (but, at least Lane isn't the only female principal still doing soloist work, as in peasant pas.)

Perhaps, as we've already seen this week, they've realized what a bit of a mess the corps has been and need to bring out the big guns.

I guess I'm glad I'll get to see Lane/Shev tonight. But, this is still ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

What? Just looked at that, too. That's ridiculous and insulting to Lane and Shevchenko (but, at least Lane isn't the only female principal still doing soloist work, as in peasant pas.)

Perhaps, as we've already seen this week, they've realized what a bit of a mess the corps has been and need to bring out the big guns.

I guess I'm glad I'll get to see Lane/Shev tonight. But, this is still ridiculous.

The Shades trio I saw weds was not a mess nor did other reports indicate they were. I'm not sure how this in any way fixes the Shades issue.

Both Cornejo and Simkin regularly (at least in the past, and long after being made principal) do soloist parts. As does Cirio.

5 minutes ago, aurora said:

The Shades trio I saw weds was not a mess nor did other reports indicate they were. I'm not sure how this in any way fixes the Shades issue.

Both Cornejo and Simkin regularly (at least in the past, and long after being made principal) do soloist parts. As does Cirio.

By putting 2 principals in the Shades Trio, they remove two of the strongest corps dancers (who should be amongst the strongest) to be part of the overall Shades corps (if that is indeed what they're doing). Two may not be much, but given what I saw Wed night, they need help.

What soloist roles do Cornejo/Simkin regularly perform?

Edited by ABT Fan
31 minutes ago, aurora said:

Let's be honest. Shades Trio is a soloist role at the most. Ideally, a corps or even apprentice dancer should be performing it. The fact that they are putting two principal women in (and notice they didn't dare put Misty in) says 1) their corps and soloist well is very shallow at the moment and not many dancers can step in and make it look decent; 2) they haven't been developing the corps dancers enough to be able take on roles like these at the last minute and 3) management doesn't mind insulting Lane and Shevchenko by giving them these subpar performance opportunities. It's like throwing crumbs to a starving lion.