dirac

Thursday, May 17

Q&A with Lia Cirio.

What’s the best part of your job?  

Definitely being on stage. It’s just another world. There are just moments that you never forget and breakthroughs that happen on stage that are just really special. And dance for me is an escape. It’s what I live and breathe, and I get to do what I love every day.

A review of New York City Ballet by Apollinaire Scherr for The Financial Times.

Three decades after his 1953 Faun, this second Debussy piece returns to the 1912 Nijinsky Faun for the nymphs. Indeed, there is no faun in Epigraphs to eclipse the women. Robbins’ Faun traced modernism along patriarchal lines; Antique Epigraphs turns to its matriarchs. Ashley Laracey’s solo possessed Isadora Duncan’s capaciousness and independence. Savannah Lowery’s finely calibrated gestures tilted toward Martha Graham’s expressionism. The whole coven of eight moved in magnetic relation to one another like the women in Graham’s Primitive Mysteries walking side by side as if to a single heartbeat......

The San Antonio Metropolitan Ballet presents a piece that takes schizophrenia as its subject.

“I wanted the dance to portray ambivalence,” said Casillas, who has watched her aunt continue to struggle with the reality of her disease. Jacquelin Casillas, Rowan’s mother, said her husband’s sister gets caught in a cycle not uncommon to those who struggle with mental illness.

A review of American Ballet Theatre by Carol Pardo for danceviewtimes.

In contrast, Hee Seo danced "Giselle" rather than inhabiting Giselle. The steps were there, but only once did this Giselle reveal any inner life. As she fitted herself against Albrecht's body, her head nestled against his shoulder like a kitten close to a hearth, part of her attraction to him became clear. Here was a male who would shelter and protect her, the child from a single-parent home. Seo's lightness served her well, both as she slid to the ground, dead of grief, in act one and throughout act two, but this was not enough to transform Giselle from a character to a human being, from two dimensions to three.

Ashley Bouder appears in a video as part of The New York Times' #SpeakingInDance series on Instagram.

Ashley Bouder of New York City Ballet performs part of a make-fun-of-yourself solo from Robbins’s “Dances at a Gathering.”

A review of Northern Ballet in 'Jane Eyre' by Graham Watts for DanceTabs.

Perhaps due to the cluttering of characters, and, perhaps also, in pursuit of narrative honesty, I found Blow’s Jane to border anonymity in the early scenes but – with the arrival of Rochester – her character burst into life with palpable and endearing expressiveness. The chemistry between Torres and Blow in these pivotal roles was excellent. It’s hard to portray Brontë’s twenty-year age gap, in ballet, but Torres successfully conveys the aura of a brooding, Byronic man of experience.

A new fellowship is created to advance the training of conductors for ballet.

The new Fellowship is named after the Founding Music Director of The Royal Ballet and is the first of its kind in the UK. Alongside numerous performing opportunities, the Constant Lambert Fellow will receive vital mentoring, primarily from Koen Kessels, Music Director of both companies.

Per Kirkeby has died at age 79.

Kirkeby enjoyed a long friendship with the film director Lars von Trier, and created title cards for Breaking the Waves (1996), Dancer in the Dark (2000) and Antichrist (2009). In 1999 he turned his hand to scenography and costume, creating designs for New York City Ballet’s production of Swan Lake. “I always thought that an artist should not be easy to ‘catch’, to ‘put in a box’,” he said in an interview in 2009.

Amanda Schull reminisces about "Center Stage."

It turns out, however, that Schull had already been cast. “I went out in the hall and worked on the scenes and it turned out that she just wanted more of me on tape. While I was out in the hall apparently she called one of her bosses and said, ‘I think I just found Jody. And I’m just putting more of her read on tape.’ So then I came in and auditioned for the other role but not really realizing that they didn’t intend for me to ever get it.”