This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Isadora starring Natalia Osipova

Buddy

Tickets for Natalia Osipova are on sale now.

http://www.scfta.org/home/emails/Isadora1819OnSale/index.html?utm_source=Email_marketing&utm_campaign=Eblast_IsadoraOnSale1&cmp=1&utm_medium=HTMLEmail

I would have been first in line if she were coming with Don Q, Flames of Paris, La Fille or ANY other CLASSICAL work. This feels like side-line, experimental type stuff she's trying for fun. Not sure it'll be worth the $200 a real ticket will be worth...

Segerstrom Center for the ArtsEvent Calendar

DANCE 2018-2019!

The remarkable life of modern dance revolutionary Isadora Duncan is brought center stage in this highly-anticipated WORLD PREMIERE. A California native, Duncan revolutionized the world of Dance, rejecting the formal language of ballet to forge a new art form of modern movement. Her infamous death was as dramatic as her life. Her story is truly one for the stage.

Natalia Osipova, today’s prima ballerina and principal dancer with the Royal Ballet, will take a star turn in the title role. “With the explosiveness of her jumps, acting blazingly committed and stratospheric technique, Ms. Osipova has become a startlingly singular artist.” – The New York Times

August 10 at 7:30pm; August 11 at 2pm & 7:30pm; August 12 at 1pm
Choreography: Vladimir Varnava of the Mariinsky Theatre; Music: Sergei Prokofiev’s Cinderella, performed live by Mikhailovsky Orchestra of St. Petersburg

BOX OFFICE NOW OPEN | TICKETS START at $29

index_05.jpg

SUBSCRIBE NOW!

Follow us:   Facebook   Twitter    Pinterest   Blogger    YouTube   |  Friends of the Center: LEARN MORE  

To ensure our emails reach your inbox, please add boxoffice@SCFTA.org to your address book.

600 Town Center Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92626
SCFTA.org  |  Box Office (714) 556-2787  |  Group Sales (714) 755-0236

SEGERSTROM CENTER FOR THE ARTS  |  CONTACT US  |  PRIVACY POLICY  |  EVENTS CALENDAR

The Center's International Dance Series is made possible by:

AUDREY STEELE BURNAND ENDOWED FUND FOR INTERNATIONAL DANCE
THE SEGERSTROM FOUNDATION ENDOWMENT FOR GREAT PERFOMANCES
Mrs. Richard Steele, Richard C. and Virginia A. Hunsaker,
George and Terry Schreyer and Michelle Rohé.

Segerstrom Center applauds the following for their support:

Kia

United

Isadora is a co-production by Segerstrom Center for the Arts and Ardani Artists Management.
Isadora is presented with special underwriting from Michelle Rohé.

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

This reminds me of Vishneva’s “Beauty in Motion” sorts of vanity projects...classical stars moving unclassically. No way, Jose! 

I'm with you 1,000%!! It's packaged disappointment or WORSE, like in 2016, when I begrudgingly spent $200 per ticket for Tour de Force III and Vishneva CANCELLED!!!

2 hours ago, Cyberindio said:

Thanks, Cyberindio.

I just got a ticket. If nothing else I can catch the sunset on the coast afterwards.

She’s developing quite a talent, in my opinion, as an actress-ballerina and something like this could be very good. I also have a ticket to see her do another work at Saddlers Wells in London a month later.

Presenting Isadora Duncan artistically is an exciting and challenging prospect. She apparently was a major force in shaping 'classically' oriented dance (although she didn't like 'classical' dance) as we see it today. I believe that I read that Anna Pavlova was influenced by her. Frederick Aston has asserted that he was. If Natalia Osipova, as an exceptional ballerina, can develop some sort of worthy dance statement, that would be great.

As a dance-actress I'm sure that she can do the dramatic part brilliantly but the ‘script’ is critical. Her selection of material has been my main issue. It can get a bit on the gloomy side. I hope that she makes some good choices.

Edited by Buddy
a word change

"Choreography: Vladimir Varnava of the Mariinsky Theatre; Music: Sergei Prokofiev’s Cinderella" ....... dear Buddy did you see Varnava's "Yaroslavna-The Eclipse"  or any part thereof ??  I did, when Mezzo livecast the premiere, I mean the first fifteen minutes or so  :D:D

47 minutes ago, mnacenani said:

"Choreography: Vladimir Varnava of the Mariinsky Theatre; Music: Sergei Prokofiev’s Cinderella" ....... dear Buddy did you see Varnava's "Yaroslavna-The Eclipse"  or any part thereof ?? 

Hi, Mnacenani.

And no, I didn’t. But your comment gave me a chance to view his contribution to Dreamers, an overall work, mainly choreographed for the Mariinsky by — yep, Maxim Petrov — which always puts a smile on my face. Vladimir Varnava's contribution features Yekaterina Kondaurova, who can make anything work and it seems respectable enough. Natalia Osipova is capable of doing the same and maybe this new work can rise to the occasion on its own. His part of Dreamers can be seen here starting at 1:36:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXILEnsBSrY

Edited by Buddy
clarified wording
1 hour ago, mnacenani said:

"Choreography: Vladimir Varnava of the Mariinsky Theatre; Music: Sergei Prokofiev’s Cinderella" ....... dear Buddy did you see Varnava's "Yaroslavna-The Eclipse"   or any part thereof ??  I did, when Mezzo livecast the premiere, I mean the first fifteen minutes or so  :D:D

Having just viewed a few minutes of Vladimir Varnava's "Yaroslavna-The Eclipse," "Isadora" could be a long shot. But one can hope for the best. 

Added: Natalia Osipova is certainly a gifted artist, which is why I keep going to these things.

Edited by Buddy

I have a ticket as part of my SCFTA subscription.  Unfortunately, there were no subscription packages offered without Osipova's program.  I comfort myself with the fact that I'll get to experience Varnava's choreography as I have never seen his works.

Edited by Dreamer

Here’s a kicker.

“Renowned dancer, Veronika Part, also joins the cast of over twenty dancers from around the world.”  I’ve seen Veronika Part given some rather bad roles, but this one remains an unknown.

The entire email announcement from the Segerstom.

“The remarkable life of modern dance revolutionary Isadora Duncan is truly one for the stage. A California native, she left America in the late 1890s to find great acclaim in Europe and Russia as her new dance vocabulary enraptured audiences.

“Royal Ballet principal dancer, Natalia Osipova, stars in the dramatic title role. “Osipova has become a startlingly singular artist,” praised The New York Times. Renowned dancer, Veronika Part, also joins the cast of over twenty dancers from around the world. This new work will offer choreography by Vladimir Varnava of the Mariinsky Theatre and will be set to Sergei Prokofiev’s Cinderella, performed by the Mikhailovsky Orchestra of St. Petersburg.”

On 6/5/2018 at 12:24 AM, Buddy said:

Having just viewed a few minutes of Vladimir Varnava's "Yaroslavna-The Eclipse," "Isadora" could be a long shot. But one can hope for the best. 

Added: Natalia Osipova is certainly a gifted artist, which is why I keep going to these things.

"Isadora" incidentally will premiere at Stasik in Moscow on 21st September and is already sold out. I am due to see the mat and eve performances of Don Kixot at the Bolshoy on the 22nd so booked my flight for the 21st in the hope of finding a ticket for Isadora ...... pulled by the stellar gravity of Natasha. Will probably end up regretting it once again, as I did going to the Bolshoy "Petipa" galas .....

Hi Menacenani

Glad to see that you're on the road again. The inclusion of Veronika Part is also very interesting, as I consider her to be one of the finest if given worthy material.  She can be magical. I'm curious as to what they'll give her since  this seems a one woman's showcase.

For the sake of those who have bought tickets for this new work I sincerely hope that the choreographer of the new Isadora makes a better job of his ballet about Duncan than MacMillan made of his account of the dancer and her life. I also hope that this new ballet does not prompt Lady MacMillan to press for her late husband's "Isadora" to be revived. Duncan's life was extraordinary but even with the assistance of the dramaturge who had worked with MacMillan on creating Mayerling MacMillan did not manage to turn an account of Isadora's life into an effective narrative ballet. It stubbornly remained an account of incidents in her life.MacMillan failed to transform it into something greater, namely an effective piece of dance theatre. I always thought that MacMillan was persuaded that Isadora's life could be turned into an effective dance work by a rather good television documentary which Ken Russell made about her life. I shall be interested to read the comments of those who see the new Isadora. 

Edited by Ashton Fan
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:06 AM, Ashton Fan said:

I always thought that MacMillan was persuaded that Isadora's life could be turned into an effective dance work by a rather good television documentary which Ken Russell made about her life. I shall be interested to read the comments of those who see the new Isadora

I remember that Ken Russell TV film (one of his best) and I also remember the feature film with Vanessa Redgrave,  The MacMillan ballet was an absolute turkey, but Ashton's short piece when danced by Seymour was superb, Ashton I believe had the advantage of having actually seen Duncan on stage.  The Isadora work I liked best though was the Bejart piece for Maya Plisetskaya with a group of children.

I'm assuming the Pure Dance performances at Sadlers Wells will actually be this Isadora.  If the American reviews regard it as anything less than a masterpiece, I'll be off loading my ticket.

I thought the Pure Dance program was announced to include a bit of Tudor’s Leaves Are Fading and a new short pas de deux by Ratmansky...though I suppose she might include some of this Isadora as well....or there might be changes to what was announced. But if those appeal to you more, then perhaps wait before offloading? 

(I get to see Osipova so rarely I would be happy to see her in most things, and am curious about this Isadora, but a program with even minimal Tudor and Ratmansky would be especially appealing.)

The inclusion of Veronika Part still greatly interests me. Does she think that it’s really worthy of herself, which would be a high recommendation, or is her preference to share with/give support to a fellow great artist, try something different, etc.

Natalia Osipova has remarkable talent both as a pure dancer and as an emerging dance actress/expressionist/artist. Her choice of material has always been the critical issue from my standpoint. I’d like to hope for the best on this one.

Edited by Buddy
spelling correction

Perhaps an even better description of the piece:

A 'Cinderella' without Cinderella? Ballerina Natalia Osipova will make the music sing 'Isadora'

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-natalia-osipova-isadora-duncan-20180807-htmlstory.html

Varnava had known Osipova for years and was eager to work with her. But he wasn’t sure he could come up with a “Cinderella” that would match or surpass the multitude of ballets that already exist. So he presented her with an unusual idea.
“Vladimir called and asked me, ‘What do you prefer, what do you like more: the story of Cinderella or the score?’ I told him right away I was more excited about the music than the story. And then he shared with me the idea of ‘Isadora,’ to make a story based on her life and set it to the score of the ‘Cinderella’ ballet.”

Edited by pherank

Because of the very long drive, the preview descriptions and one review I’ve decided not to attend today’s performance, which I was hoping to comment on. It could be brilliant and I do like the apparent final scene of transcendence idea, but the rest sounds just a bit too heavy/gloomy once again and it's a lovely sunny day.

I still have a  ticket to see her Pure Dance program at the Saddlers Wells in London next month. I look forward to it.

Edited by Buddy

Saw it last night.

Was entertained but underwhelmed.

No questioning the commitment and ability of the dancers; but I did not feel the spirit of Isadora was evoked.  The movements were too tight and nervous.  The presentation was too concerned with being symbolic and allusive.  The ever-undulating thisses and thats made me sea-sick.  Afterwards, I felt neither a greater understanding of Isadora nor--taking Isadora out of the equation--understanding nor empathy with the faux-Isadora.  I was unable to set aside the notion that character Terpsichore looked halfway between an Indian in a white-feathered headdress and the figure of Liberty on turn-of-the-century coinage and stamps.  The extended Soviet sequences will I am sure resonate more strongly with Russian audience members, which is to say that non-Russian I had had enough of them very quickly.

In all fairness, my enlightened audience-neighbor enjoyed the production; and the ever-generous Segerstrom audience gave its customary standing ovation.  You see, if we give something a standing ovation, it helps convince us that yes we most certainly must have seen a wonderful show.

Wise decision, Buddy. I attended Friday night as a part of my subscription series.  I spent most of the second act with my eyes closed, listening to the music, which was very well-played. We've had beautiful summer days in Southern California this weekend.