Jump to content
Buddy

Maria Iliushkina — “ ”Zvezda" (Star) material ?? “

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, ECat said:

From the performance I saw of her this evening doing the "walking pas deux" in Jewels [Emeralds section] in Los Angeles, I would have to say that she has a bright future ahead of her.  She was radiant, elegant, and floated on a the gorgeous cloud of perfume this ballet was meant to evoke.  Maria was a highlight of this performance.

 

 

 

“….floated on [the] gorgeous cloud of perfume….”

 

I sometimes watch Anna Pavlova’s “Swan” in slow motion (without the music). The grainy specs on the old video can resemble stars as she seems to be dancing in the heavens. For me, it’s been magical.

I also watch some Balanchine, such as “Ballo della Regina,” in slow motion to New Age music. This puts it a dreamworld that I adore and would love to see developed as an entire genre of dance resembling what Wendy Whelan and Christopher Weeldon have done with “After The Rain.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D316-KMBU8

(start at 14:10)

I’ve been watching several video clips of Maria Iliushkina, including “Emeralds.”

 

**  In these, not only does she seem to float, but she does it with perhaps the most dreamy feeling of slow motion that I’ve yet seen — Quite Wonderful.  **

 

You also wrote at the “Jewels” topic…

“Maria Iliushkina and Roman Belyakov were the second couple [in “Emeralds”].  There is another thread just about Maria and her bright future and from this performance, I agree. First of all she has a beautiful face - almost doll like.  She was almost floating during her walking pas de deux and was so expressive in her variation.  She melted into to some of those poses so beautifully.

“Maria seemed to be the crowd favorite of this one.  it was a great start to the evening!”

https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/45114-the-mariinsky-ballet-jewels-los-angeles-dorothy-chandler-pavilion/?tab=comments#comment-420153

So nice to hear this.

 

And she indeed does have “a beautiful face - almost doll like” — In fact, at times, almost angel-like.

 

Edited by Buddy
spelling and typo corrections

Share this post


Link to post

@Buddy Thank you for your addition and videos.  What an innovative thought to put ballet on mute and watch it to another piece of music!

 

Your description of Maria's face as being "angel-like" is absolutely perfect!  She was angelic in every way.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

 

45 minutes ago, ECat said:

 

 

Your description of Maria's face as being "angel-like" is absolutely perfect!  She was angelic in every way.

 

 

" angelic in every way "

In the gala Giselle duets video clip she's the most angelic looking being that I've ever seen on a ballet stage, of the adults anyway. The children always walk away with this one.

And speaking of children, she's the most *Innocent Child* of any ballerina that I've seen -- A quality to cherish.

And her absolutely lovely dancing just reinforces it all.

Edited by Buddy

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, Buddy said:

 

" angelic in every way "

In the gala Giselle duets video clip she's the most angelic looking being that I've ever seen on a ballet stage, of the adults anyway. The children always walk away with this one.

And speaking of children, she's the most *Innocent Child* of any ballerina that I've seen -- A quality to cherish.

And her absolutely lovely dancing just reinforces it all.

Oooh I will have to go find that Giselle on Youtube STAT!  Was just watching her Lilac Fairy debut.  For such a young dancer she already has a lovely depth and maturity on top of her perfect technique.  I'm delighted that she is getting Odette/Odile.  I would also love to see her as Giselle in a full length, Juliet, Princess Aurora, La Sylphide, Princess Shyrin, and Diamonds.

Share this post


Link to post

 

Tomorrow’s the big day — Swan Lake !

 

(Thanks to Sophia at Dansomanie and the two ballet forums from Russia)

She looks very lovely. Beautiful, long lines. Hopefully this is just the beginning of many such performances.

Share this post


Link to post

I saw her dance Emeralds three times last fall when the Mariinsky was in Los Angeles and she won me over with her special, genuine personal quality and musicality. I sought her out at the reception after one of the performances to thank her, and she spoke with humility and gratitude about being given the opportunity to prepare and dance the role.  Swan Lake requires lyricism, dynamic phrasing, and emotional content to give a meaningful performance, which are qualities which she has shown.  I wish her all the best in her first performance in the dual role.  

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Josette said:

I saw her dance Emeralds three times last fall when the Mariinsky was in Los Angeles and she won me over with her special, genuine personal quality and musicality. I sought her out at the reception after one of the performances to thank her, and she spoke with humility and gratitude about being given the opportunity to prepare and dance the role.  Swan Lake requires lyricism, dynamic phrasing, and emotional content to give a meaningful performance, which are qualities which she has shown.  I wish her all the best in her first performance in the dual role.  

Nice comments, Josette. Thank you.

I had the remote chance of actually seeing her Swan Lake debut, but I won’t be in Europe at the time. Hopefully another time.

Does anyone know of any other Mariinsky Coryphee (one step up from Corps de Ballet) (Yekaterina Chebykina,….?) that’s been given an opportunity like this? Is she on her way to becoming some level of Soloist? In any case, it’s lovely to see this happen.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Josette said:

I saw her dance Emeralds three times last fall when the Mariinsky was in Los Angeles and she won me over with her special, genuine personal quality and musicality. I sought her out at the reception after one of the performances to thank her, and she spoke with humility and gratitude about being given the opportunity to prepare and dance the role.  Swan Lake requires lyricism, dynamic phrasing, and emotional content to give a meaningful performance, which are qualities which she has shown.  I wish her all the best in her first performance in the dual role.  

Josette I saw her Emeralds in LA as well and she was breathtaking.  I'm delighted to hear that you had the pleasure of meeting her and that her personality was a genuine as her dancing.

2 hours ago, Buddy said:

Nice comments, Josette. Thank you.

I had the remote chance of actually seeing her Swan Lake debut, but I won’t be in Europe at the time. Hopefully another time.

Does anyone know of any other Mariinsky Coryphee (one step up from Corps de Ballet) (Yekaterina Chebykina,….?) that’s been given an opportunity like this? Is she on her way to becoming some level of Soloist? In any case, it’s lovely to see this happen.

What rank was Alina Somova when she debuted her Swan Lake?  From what I recall it was very early in her career.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I think she was 18? I think that’s what the documentary Ballerina said.

Share this post


Link to post

Buddy, yes, I think Chebykina was still a coryphee when she debuted as Odette/Odile.    I'm delighted that Ilyushkina is to have this opportunity - she's such a lovely young dancer with those beautiful lines!  

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, MadameP.

There are now a couple of two minute solo videos, Odette and Odile.

First impressions -- There’s definitely a feeling of a very young artist doing something for the first time. More important is the realisation that in her typically unassuming way she has some basically very fine and beautiful  dance qualities. Maturity will make this much more apparent. Yet her youthful newness has its own touching embraceability that merged with her fine loveliness of dance can be something quite special.

Added: If it's within forum guidelines to say so, comments from the major ballet forum in Russia are surprisingly unanimous in their praise and  enthusiasm for this performance. 

Edited by Buddy
"Added" added

Share this post


Link to post

There are now about six very brief video clips. Here is an official one from the Mariinsky. None show the famous duet except for this one that gives some very quick glimpses at the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GawnEq9BrLs

This is obviously a giant step in recognition for this very young artist. Aside from the feeling in these videos of a young girl caught up in a dreamworld of opportunity, something that is bigger than herself and carrying her along, there’s also the realisation that she’s a very competent, secure and, above all, lovely, performing artist.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for sharing the video @Buddy!  She is so lovely.  The way she uses her hands is so feminine and beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post

Very happy for her on her debut. I hope she gets the opportunity to develop in the role. 

Share this post


Link to post

Excerpts show she was an absolutely stunning Odette-Odile.  She has such beauty of line and epaulement and such artistry - it's a superb debut for this young ballerina, and to think this is her first principal role.  It is an amazing achievement.  

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, MadameP said:

Excerpts show she was an absolutely stunning Odette-Odile.  She has such beauty of line and epaulement and such artistry - it's a superb debut for this young ballerina, and to think this is her first principal role.  It is an amazing achievement.  

"It is an amazing achievement," MadameP. 

 There are now videos of most of her performance. Having  just watched the complete Act I Duet, which for me at the Mariinsky is the essence, I think that she is remarkable and has a remarkable future ahead of her.

The ability has probably always been there as her non-Mariinsky Giselle gala excerpt from about a half-year ago brought home to me. Now it's finally being featured.

Hopefully this is just the beginning of an "amazing" future.

Added: I wrote recently that of all the great performances that I've seen I'm still maybe waiting for the one that wins my heart. This may be the one.

 

Edited by Buddy

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Buddy said:

"It is an amazing achievement," MadameP. 

 There are now videos of most of her performance. Having  just watched the complete Act I Duet, which for me at the Mariinsky is the essence, I think that she is remarkable and has a remarkable future ahead of her.

The ability has probably always been there as her non-Mariinsky Giselle gala excerpt from about a half-year ago brought home to me. Now it's finally being featured.

Hopefully this is just the beginning of an "amazing" future.

Added: I wrote recently that of all the great performances that I've seen I'm still maybe waiting for the one that wins my heart. This may be the one.

 

I wrote recently that of all the great performances that I've seen I'm still maybe waiting for the one that wins my heart. This may be the one.

____________________

 

I agree!  I watched and it was really like seeing the ballet afresh!  Such a beautiful partnership, heartfelt acting, and for sheer beauty of lines, epaulement, artistry - it was a staggering achievement for this young ballerina.  I can't remember when I enjoyed a Swan Lake as much as this one!  Bravo indeed to both Ilyshkina and Korneev!

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, MadameP said:

I wrote recently that of all the great performances that I've seen I'm still maybe waiting for the one that wins my heart. This may be the one.

____________________

 

I agree!  I watched and it was really like seeing the ballet afresh!  Such a beautiful partnership, heartfelt acting, and for sheer beauty of lines, epaulement, artistry - it was a staggering achievement for this young ballerina.  I can't remember when I enjoyed a Swan Lake as much as this one!  Bravo indeed to both Ilyshkina and Korneev!

"I watched and it was really like seeing the ballet afresh....it was a staggering achievement for this young ballerina. I can't remember when I enjoyed a Swan Lake as much as this one! "

The more I watch the video clips the more I tend to agree with this, MadameP. There's a wonderful quality that she has that's new to my ballet viewing. For me, she's managed to seamlessly combine the loveability of a little child with a wonderfully mature talent.

Unfortunately the videos that I mentioned yesterday showing her entire performance have gone "private." I did watch the essential Act I duet over and over. It was sort of a revelation.

Let's look forward to seeing much more of her !

Share this post


Link to post

In my loosely structured writing I’ve mentioned some things the I find quite interesting and wonderful about her dancing. I’ve mentioned how her back leg in arabesque can tend to have an ‘identity’ of its own and perhaps much more intriguingly how she seems to be able to stop motion and still be dancing.

Looking through some video clips I see things that can account for this. Mainly focussing on her arms I notice that they are at times moving and shaping in a manner different from the general motion of her body. The most interesting effect is the stop motion one. She can do such things as lock her wrist which gives a strong sensation of stopping the action while most of herself is still moving.

There are so many beautiful subtleties to this very understated young artist and there’s a lot of dance intelligence and prowess in her often lighthearted playfulness. I think that there’s a lot to delight in and hopefully see much more of.

Share this post


Link to post

Yesterday a child came out to wonder -- Caught a dragonfly inside a jar

Fearful when the sky was full of thunder -- And tearful at the falling of a star

*** And the seasons they go round and round — And the painted ponies go up and down ***

We're captive on the carousel of time -- We can't return we can only look behind -- From where we came

And go round and round and round -- In the circle game

(The Circle Game — Joni Mitchell)

 

So welcome to the sometimes astonishing world of show business, or high art, or ballet or in this instance the Mariinsky Ballet.

Posted today is a video clip of Anastasia Nuykina (debut?) as Gamzatti, who does just fine. Opening the scene are four background dancers. Sometimes I skip this. But what’s happening here!? Is that the Odette-Odile (Swan Lake) from several weeks ago, perhaps the most coveted role in all ballet, dancing around behind with three other ‘chorus’ dancers.

Yes, it’s Maria Iliushkina — And what a little burst of unassuming Sunshine she once again is !

Well what can I really say? Her trajectory has been as predictable as a tadpole in a pond of water. Have you ever tried to catch one?

Whither Thou Goest Next ?  Background ‘chorus’ dancer or the most precious Giselle yet ?

Wherever this might be, it’s an adventure in Sunshine, Loveability, Beauty and Pure Talent.

Edited by Buddy

Share this post


Link to post

Please delete.Posted at wrong topic.

 

Edited by Buddy

Share this post


Link to post

She’s back !

Odette/Odile (Swan Lake) — May 1.

(again with Nikita Korneyev)

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbill/2020/5/1/1_1930

The Mariinsky’s List of Dancers is slowly being updated. Coryphees, of which Maria Iliushkina is still a member, are now on the Soloist page (Corps de Ballet, for the moment, isn’t listed).  The future appearances of Coryphees are also given (for the first time?) on each artist’s page. Here’s her’s (look under her photo).

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ballet/soloists/coryphees/coryphees_woman/iliushkina1

Edited by Buddy
gramar correction

Share this post


Link to post

I try to suppress all desire to play the equivalent of "kremlinologist" with the Mariinsky -- but I must confess it seems a very good sign that Illiushkina is being given a second opportunity at Odette-Odile.  I am hoping that she gets a chance at another major role soon.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Drew said:

I try to suppress all desire to play the equivalent of "kremlinologist" with the Mariinsky -- but I must confess it seems a very good sign that Illiushkina is being given a second opportunity at Odette-Odile.  I am hoping that she gets a chance at another major role soon.

"it seems a very good sign" indeed, Drew. 

I find that she has many exceptional qualities and they aren't all necessarily immediately apparent. Sometimes folks seem to pick up on them one thing at a time and do get enthusiastically supportive. I'm with them.  

Edited by Buddy

Share this post


Link to post

Buddy, speaking of updates to the site, do you know what happened to Kristina Shapran?

Share this post


Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...