Buddy

Maria Iliushkina — “ ”Zvezda" (Star) material ?? “

These are two Instagram clips from Mariinsky dancer Victor Caixeta. I’m sure that the dancer that he’s practicing Swan Lake with is Maria Iliushkina. There has been comment on the Russian internet about this. Apparently Victor Caixeta explains it somewhere in the Instagram. Maybe someone can help me locate it or any other postable  explanation.  She’s still only in the Corps de Ballet.

In any case enjoy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzncNzoIgOf/

7 hours ago, Buddy said:

These are two Instagram clips from Mariinsky dancer Victor Caixeta. I’m sure that the dancer that he’s practicing Swan Lake with is Maria Iliushkina. There has been comment on the Russian internet about this. Apparently Victor Caixeta explains it somewhere in the Instagram. Maybe someone can help me locate it or any other postable  explanation.  She’s still only in the Corps de Ballet.

In any case enjoy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzncNzoIgOf/

Illiushkina debuted Odette in the 2nd Act of 'Swan Lake' at a closed performance of the White Act for a private company at the Mariinsky. Since it wasn't the full performance, nor an open one, I doubt they'll count it as an official debut, but hopefully she gets a shot at the full length sometime this season! 

22 hours ago, annaewgn said:

.... hopefully she gets a shot at the full length sometime this season! 

That would be nice.

Thanks, Annaewgn.

On 9/18/2019 at 1:55 AM, annaewgn said:

Illiushkina debuted Odette in the 2nd Act of 'Swan Lake' at a closed performance of the White Act for a private company at the Mariinsky. Since it wasn't the full performance, nor an open one, I doubt they'll count it as an official debut, but hopefully she gets a shot at the full length sometime this season! 

Her SIegfried was Emakov - a debut for him also. 

3 hours ago, MadameP said:

Maria Ilyushkina was promoted to coryphee today.

Congratulations to her! I wish it was second soloist, but still progress it progress. 

8 hours ago, annaewgn said:

Congratulations to her! I wish it was second soloist, but still progress it progress. 

I agree - I think she deserved second soloist!  And what about Maria Bulanova?  With all her roles and talent, where is her promotion?  

On 9/20/2019 at 5:32 AM, MadameP said:

I agree - I think she deserved second soloist!  And what about Maria Bulanova?  With all her roles and talent, where is her promotion?  

It appears for whatever reason they thought Nuykina was more deserving. I have a strong feeling that Masha won't be in the corps for much longer though. 

Yes, congratulations to Maria Iliushkina. I hope that this means that we'll be seeing more of her. She has some absolutely lovely qualities.

Had the pleasure of seeing Maria dance the “pavlova” solo from king candaules in Paquita act iii today! She subbed in for May Nagahisa. Maria definitely seems a star in the making. To me, she gave the strongest performance in that sequence of variations after Tereshkina. Lovely, lyrical, beautiful lines and balances. Will look forward to seeing more of her! 

On 10/12/2019 at 5:26 PM, MarzipanShepherdess said:

Had the pleasure of seeing Maria dance the “pavlova” solo from king candaules in Paquita act iii today! She subbed in for May Nagahisa. Maria definitely seems a star in the making. To me, she gave the strongest performance in that sequence of variations after Tereshkina. Lovely, lyrical, beautiful lines and balances. Will look forward to seeing more of her! 

Yes, Maria  was sublime.  I hope to see more of her in the future.

1 hour ago, annaewgn said:

Iliushkina will be debuting Odette/Odile on January 10th. 

Wow !  Great news ! Giant step forward !   😊

1 hour ago, Buddy said:

Wow !  Great news ! Giant step forward !   😊

It's definitely going to be interesting-- she's never had to carry a full-length ballet. She's done Lilac Fairy, which is probably the closest, but still not Odette-Odile. We also have yet to see her in a role with that much acting, to that degree. And, of course, there's the whole Odile thing. But, of course, without giving dancers opportunities, we wouldn't have some of the stars we have today.

However, I think this has the potential to be a highlight of Mariinsky's season. 

44 minutes ago, annaewgn said:

It's definitely going to be interesting-- she's never had to carry a full-length ballet. She's done Lilac Fairy, which is probably the closest, but still not Odette-Odile. We also have yet to see her in a role with that much acting, to that degree. And, of course, there's the whole Odile thing. But, of course, without giving dancers opportunities, we wouldn't have some of the stars we have today.

However, I think this has the potential to be a highlight of Mariinsky's season. 

From what I've seen in the "Lilac Fairy" video clips, Annaewgn, I think that she can handle it.

As for a highlight of the season, I certainly hope so.

Based on what I saw at the Costa Mesa La Bayaderes, Maria Khoreva will probably be the sensation of the season. But -- the 'seasoned' Yekaterina Kondaurova and Alina Somova may produce some outstanding surprises, along with Oxana Skorik and Viktoria Tereshkina. These four just continue to grow and grow way beyond my recent expectations.

Maria Iliushkina is a more subtle affair. Aside from her mega-smile and her remarkable moves she might not radiate imposingly in a crowd.

But -- feature her solo as Odette/Odile and the results could be remarkable. I've already seen this happen in video clips of the Giselle duets that she did at a gala a few months ago.

43 minutes ago, Buddy said:

From what I've seen in the "Lilac Fairy" video clips, Annaewgn, I think that she can handle it.

As for a highlight of the season, I certainly hope so.

Based on what I saw at the Costa Mesa La Bayaderes, Maria Khoreva will probably be the sensation of the season. But -- the 'seasoned' Yekaterina Kondaurova and Alina Somova may produce some outstanding surprises, along with Oxana Skorik and Viktoria Tereshkina. These four just continue to grow and grow way beyond my recent expectations.

Maria Iliushkina is a more subtle affair. Aside from her mega-smile and her remarkable moves she might not radiate imposingly in a crowd.

But -- feature her solo as Odette/Odile and the results could be remarkable. I've already seen this happen in video clips of the Giselle duets that she did at a gala a few months ago.

I sure hope so! I do like Iliushkina. I think she has potential and I want her to do well! I of course have my worries, but only time will tell. 

11 hours ago, annaewgn said:

I sure hope so! I do like Iliushkina. I think she has potential and I want her to do well! I of course have my worries, but only time will tell. 

"Worry not"

(say The Poets)  😊

Edited by Buddy

13 hours ago, Buddy said:

Two Instagram videos of her rehearsal and private debut in Odette for an unannounced company performance. I think she will do wonderfully. Some people say that she may not be able to handle Odile, but we'll see. I for one am glad for this debut. 

1 hour ago, Incandescence said:

Two Instagram videos of her rehearsal and private debut in Odette for an unannounced company performance. I think she will do wonderfully. Some people say that she may not be able to handle Odile, but we'll see. I for one am glad for this debut. 

You made my day, Incandescence !  Thank you !

Everyone who has danced Odette/Odile has danced it for the first time.

Best wishes for her debut!

17 minutes ago, Helene said:

Everyone who has danced Odette/Odile has danced it for the first time.

Best wishes for her debut!

😊

Not over the top hopefully, on my part -- She may go down in history as the *Most Precious* Odette/Odile ever.

Edited by Buddy

Coach’s Corner :

I think that the best question that she could ask herself after any Odile portrayal is….

“ Oh, was she supposed to be bad ? “   😊

Edited by Buddy

She could have a more mysterious and stealthy Odile instead of the overtly sexy types we are used to seeing. I must say again that I am so very pleased that the management specifically chose her to dance O/O. She is often excluded from the discussion on up and coming new ballerinas, but now the tide has turned in her favor. All the best for her, health and most importantly luck. 

Edited by Incandescence

Just catching up with the news that Illiushkina will be making her debut as Odette-Odile early next year. Wishing her much success! (She was lovely in D.C. in her variation from Paquita.)

From the performance I saw of her this evening doing the "walking pas deux" in Jewels in Los Angeles, I would have to say that she has a bright future ahead of her.  She was radiant, elegant, and floated on a the gorgeous cloud of perfume this ballet was meant to evoke.  Maria was a highlight of this performance.