This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

6 minutes ago, lmspear said:

The beige pump theory: shoes that match your hosiery--or flesh tone if going bare legged--elongate the leg.  It's the application of the matching tights and pointe shoes practice applied to real life.

Interesting. I've heard this trick is also used to hide big feet. 

Nevertheless as someone who HAS to match my shoes to my outfit in color (like I won't leave the house until they are coordinated) I love it when Meghan does something like buy orange shoes that goes with her green skirt and white sweater for her trip to Ireland:

imi40.jpg

3 hours ago, canbelto said:

Well just in terms of fashion I prefer Meghan's simple style to Kate's rather fussy, ornate preferences. So purely on a fashion level I'm looking forward to many years of watching Meghan and her sartorial choices.

It's going to be interesting watching the two of them together over the next few years -- I agree that Kate W's general style is a bit more decorative, but like many women in that family, she has to coordinate her look with the other people in the clan.  She's a simpler contrast to the Queen (not to mention the late Queen Mother, who was a floral-and-ruffle kind of woman), and more youthful than her stepmother-in-law.  They all of them try to patronize British designers -- I'm wondering how Meghan M will finesse that.

45 minutes ago, lmspear said:

The beige pump theory: shoes that match your hosiery--or flesh tone if going bare legged--elongate the leg.  It's the application of the matching tights and pointe shoes practice applied to real life.

I've seen beige or nude heels for quite awhile -- I agree it does extend the leg line, and takes emphasis away from the feet, but it does sometimes feel like it's the universal choice.

I think we are going to see Ms. Markle in a lot of neutrals and simple, modest clothes in the future.  Maybe with just one twist (such as the orange pumps).  

IThe BRF revolves around just one sun, and that sun is Elizabeth II.  Additionally, Meghan does not want to outshine her SIL or Step MIL. So while Kate may wear daring coat dresses in bright colors, or Camilla might wear a good 18 inches of feathered frippery height in her hats, Meghan is the actress/royal in the supporting role to Harry. 

She will get the small jewels and 5th best carriage at Royal Ascot. 

So expect more beautifully tailored caramel brown winter coats and beanie hats in the future.  There are plenty of still shots from her entertainment industry days to see her in short hems, bird of paradise colors and shiny bling.   

In 10 years, when Elizabeth II leaves us, if Meghan has done well to orbit all the shinier stars, King Charles may upgrade her jewels on loan, her clothing allowance, and her leeway to dress as she pleases.  

See Sophie, Countess of Wessex as an example. 

Edited by Jayne
Spelling

Well Kate does have 3 kids under 5 and the youngest is less than 6 weeks old. Each pregnancy involved hyper morning sickness requiring hospitalization.  

I think it’s ok for a mom with a new baby to stay home for the first year, and in many countries maternity leave is a paid 12 month benefit (Canada too).  

If Meghan has kids, I think she will also choose to take maternity leave.  Remember that the tabloids will complain about anything and everything.  Fewer appearances mean less £££ / $$$ in their coffers. 

I’d much rather have fewer tabloid pics for a few years as long as their kids turn out to be decent people.  Tge same tabloid employees certainly want maternity leave for their own families.  

Back to the art of the wedding.  There is a blog called Royal Hats that has some good coverage.  

https://royalhats.wordpress.com/

14 hours ago, Jayne said:

In 10 years, when Elizabeth II leaves us, if Meghan has done well to orbit all the shinier stars, King Charles may upgrade her jewels on loan, her clothing allowance, and her leeway to dress as she pleases.  

See Sophie, Countess of Wessex as an example. 

The jewels tend to be shared around anyway, at least on state occasions.  Princess Anne and Prince Edward hanker towards being private citizens, something Anne's children have more or less achieved.  Princess Meaghan will be obliged to wear bright colours in future so that she stands out in a crowd, understated good taste, though not frowned upon, gets trumped in favour of those at the back of the crowd being able to pick out the royal they've come to see.

16 hours ago, canbelto said:

One thing Meghan does seem to have which Kate doesn't is more of a work ethic. Meghan's already clocked in quite a few royal appearances while Kate has been the "laziest" royal for several years now. Last year she only did 63 engagements which was less than Prince Phillip who is 95.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/2018/01/01/laziest-members-royal-family/

12 hours ago, Jayne said:

Well Kate does have 3 kids under 5 and the youngest is less than 6 weeks old. Each pregnancy involved hyper morning sickness requiring hospitalization.  

I think it’s ok for a mom with a new baby to stay home for the first year, and in many countries maternity leave is a paid 12 month benefit (Canada too).  

If Meghan has kids, I think she will also choose to take maternity leave.  Remember that the tabloids will complain about anything and everything.  Fewer appearances mean less £££ / $$$ in their coffers. 

I’d much rather have fewer tabloid pics for a few years as long as their kids turn out to be decent people.  Tge same tabloid employees certainly want maternity leave for their own families.  

I expect Kate has plenty of household help and I doubt if there will be any damage to her health or the kiddies if she makes the supreme sacrifice of shaking a few more hands, declaring a few more things open, and making nice with rich foreigners the government is hoping to do business with. However, it's not as if any of these people are likely to be rushed to hospital suffering from stress due to overwork. Fortunately, as a U.S. taxpayer, it's not my problem and I can just enjoy the view. :)

There does seem to be a problem with persistent tone-deafness. Harry and Meghan invited 1200 of the public to the wedding by way of gracious reachout to the hoi polloi but informed them that it was strictly BYOB:

But it seems the hospitality won’t extend far. Representatives of the royal family, which has an estimated net worth well in excess of £400m, have sent letters to these guests encouraging them to bring their own picnics, in a move described by one invitee as “unfathomable”.

On the royals and the arts:

As Andy Hillier, editor of the charity sector magazine Third Sector, points out, the two great advantages of a royal association are publicity and trust. “For smaller organisations, the biggest advantage is publicity because it can be very difficult to draw attention to yourself. For larger organisations, the publicity benefit might not be so obvious unless you’re staging a big event, but trust is a big issue at the moment, and if you have a royal patron there is an assumption that there’s a royal stamp of approval and that you will have been thoroughly vetted.”

To piggy back off the tone-deaf part, there was Prince Charles saying that if he couldn't hunt foxes, he "might as well leave."

Oddly the person that seems to have adapted the most with the times is Queen Elizabeth II.  Over 60 years ago she refused to allow Princess Margaret to marry a divorced commoner. This time she has been extremely welcoming of Meghan Markle, a divorced mixed-race American and has taken a hands-off approach with the younger generation of royals. 

1 hour ago, Helene said:

I'm a major fan of the fringe tiara, however much chaos it caused at Queen Elizabeth's wedding.  Although she might want to wear the sapphire bandeau as a tie to his mother.

http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2018/05/tiara-thursday-place-your-meghan-tiara.html?m=1

I think the tiara style will depend on the dress style, but I’m really hoping Harry gets a Scots Dukedom (not the odds-on favorite Sussex, which is confusingly close to the Earl of Wessex’s title).  

More kilts, please!  

Edited by Jayne

While we are waiting, maybe we can discuss ballet hats and tiaras?  Here is Lauren Lovette’s Karinska designed Merry Widow hat from Vienna Waltzes.  In the harsh halogen lights, it is not as fabulously dashing as on stage.  But that is true of many costumes.  

This is from her public facing Imgrum account.  Found by googling “Vienna Waltzes Merry Widow hat”

14350423_1763805410536144_28908165370216

Edited by Jayne
12 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I’m really hoping Harry gets a Scots Dukedom (not the odds-on favorite Sussex, which is confusingly close to the Earl of Wessex’s title).  

More kilts, please!  

Scottish title might not go down well with the SNP currently in power at Holyrood,  No kilts, Harry will wear regimental dress uniform.

2 hours ago, canbelto said:

To piggy back off the tone-deaf part, there was Prince Charles saying that if he couldn't hunt foxes, he "might as well leave."

Oddly the person that seems to have adapted the most with the times is Queen Elizabeth II.  Over 60 years ago she refused to allow Princess Margaret to marry a divorced commoner. This time she has been extremely welcoming of Meghan Markle, a divorced mixed-race American and has taken a hands-off approach with the younger generation of royals. 

It was said at the time the Yorks went up in flames that the Queen was taking a more hands-off role in such matters. Also, times have changed. It would be harder today for the Establishment to bear down on an individual, even a royal individual, as was done to Margaret. Besides, look how that turned out. Instead of a handsome, well-spoken war hero for her they got a photographer with a penchant for tight trousers and louche friends.  Not a great argument for interference.

3 hours ago, Mashinka said:

You clearly never met him.

Yes, he was a bit before my time. 

Edited by dirac
Edited to note that I looked up the Group Captain's dates and theoretically I could indeed have met him, even if he would have been a bit long in the tooth. :)
9 hours ago, Jayne said:

I think the tiara style will depend on the dress style, but I’m really hoping Harry gets a Scots Dukedom (not the odds-on favorite Sussex, which is confusingly close to the Earl of Wessex’s title).  

More kilts, please!  

Always a fan of a kilt!

On 5/15/2018 at 3:17 PM, canbelto said:

The royal whose style I like the most currently is Sophie. She manages to follow the royal dress code while looking ordinary and down to earth. I often see her outfits and think "I'd wear that."

This is true, but when she wants to wear a space ship hat, she goes all out.  

https://goo.gl/images/iUJMrW

https://goo.gl/images/dFnkK9

https://goo.gl/images/9MBwP7

https://goo.gl/images/JDojXg

La Sylphide:  2 wedding scenes!  

Raymonda:  iconic wedding dance 

Midsummer Night’s Dream (Balanchine): iconic ppd as part of 2nd act wedding celebrations. 

Don Quixote:  final act wedding reception

Romeo & Juliet: marriage by the friar

Cinderella: final wedding dance 

La Fille Mal Gardee (Ashton): adorable wedding variation

Ondine / The Little Mermaid: unhappy wedding to the wrong girl

The Firebird:  marriage of Koschei and the Maiden Princess 

Esmerelda: who marries Pierre

there are more....

Edited by Jayne
1 hour ago, Jayne said:

This is true, but when she wants to wear a space ship hat, she goes all out.  

https://goo.gl/images/iUJMrW

https://goo.gl/images/dFnkK9

https://goo.gl/images/9MBwP7

https://goo.gl/images/JDojXg

Haha true. But more often I like her practical business casual outfits.

Sophie-countess-of-wessex-malawi-14-Marc

In other news there's quite a bit of drama with Meghan's father and his decision to attend/not attend the wedding.