This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Feature on Nedvigin & Atlanta Ballet

A short feature in "Pointe" about Gennadi Nedvigin & recent developments at Atlanta Ballet:

"Nedvigin says he was influenced by his old boss, Helgi Tomasson, and by the variety of choreographers and works Tomasson assembled at SFB. "It's inspiring for dancers to continually work with different choreographers," says Nedvigin, who has already brought in Liam Scarlett's Vespertine and world premieres by Gemma Bond and Craig Davidson. [...]

"Doing things quicker seems to be a theme of Nedvigin's tenure so far. Elevating the level of dancing, increasing company size and altering its repertoire mix are all happening simultaneously and sooner than planned [...]"

On 5/1/2018 at 8:05 PM, Drew said:

A short feature in "Pointe" about Gennadi Nedvigin & recent developments at Atlanta Ballet:

"Nedvigin says he was influenced by his old boss, Helgi Tomasson, and by the variety of choreographers and works Tomasson assembled at SFB. "It's inspiring for dancers to continually work with different choreographers," says Nedvigin, who has already brought in Liam Scarlett's Vespertine and world premieres by Gemma Bond and Craig Davidson. [...]

"Doing things quicker seems to be a theme of Nedvigin's tenure so far. Elevating the level of dancing, increasing company size and altering its repertoire mix are all happening simultaneously and sooner than planned [...]"

I assume Atlanta Ballet 2 is meant to be a training ground for future AB members - a conduit to/from the Atlanta Ballet Centre for Dance Education. All the new works should be fun for the audience, and hopefully, they will be inspired works.

47 minutes ago, pherank said:

I assume Atlanta Ballet 2 is meant to be a training ground for future AB members - a conduit to/from the Atlanta Ballet Centre for Dance Education. All the new works should be fun for the audience, and hopefully, they will be inspired works.

I had initially been a bit worried about the number of premiers by (on the whole) less than high profile choreographers during this past season, but I have enjoyed the two I have seen so far, Blink by Tara Lee and Remembrance/Hereafter by Craig Davidson, and am looking forward to another by Maxim Petrov this weekend, Concerto Armonico. 

Will these ballets hold up under repeated viewings? So far, I can say that I think at the least that I would enjoy seeing Blink again. And last year's premier, Gemma Bond's Denouement, is coming back next year, so I will get a chance (as I hope) to see how it holds up--I liked it a lot on first viewing. Actually,   I'm a tad baffled that ABT with its big "women's movement" initiative isn't including Bond in their first group of women choreographers. Of course, I don't know if she was interested, but...oh well.

12 hours ago, Drew said:

Actually,   I'm a tad baffled that ABT with its big "women's movement" initiative isn't including Bond in their first group of women choreographers. Of course, I don't know if she was interested, but...oh well.

I think I know why:

"Gemma Bond is seven months’ pregnant and sniffily from a cold, two attributes that give her a charmingly lopsided, whispery quality as she wheels around the studio calling out musical counts..."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_danc/when-world-class-dancers-leap-into-a-new-role-choreographing-world-premieres/2018/03/09/c8e3e182-216b-11e8-94da-ebf9d112159c_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1176890bead6

8 minutes ago, pherank said:

I think I know why:

"Gemma Bond is seven months’ pregnant and sniffily from a cold, two attributes that give her a charmingly lopsided, whispery quality as she wheels around the studio calling out musical counts..."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_danc/when-world-class-dancers-leap-into-a-new-role-choreographing-world-premieres/2018/03/09/c8e3e182-216b-11e8-94da-ebf9d112159c_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1176890bead6

Ah--Perhaps that's it...In any case I'm interested in seeing more of her work.