This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dorothy Chandler 18/19 Season

I received an email explaining the Music Center will do a "Facebook live launch" of their upcoming 18/19 season tomorrow:

Join us on Facebook as we announce the spectacular 18/19 season of Glorya Kaufman Presents Dance at The Music Center! The Music Center’s President & CEO Rachel Moore and Vice President of Presentations & Education Michael Solomon will discuss the upcoming season, answer questions from fans and share what they are most looking forward to next season. Only on Facebook Live. April 24 at 11 a.m. PST.

Link to watch: https://www.facebook.com/MusicCenterLA/

Personally, I would just love an email listing this right now but to each marketer his own!

The 2018-19 schedule is now on their web site:

https://www.musiccenter.org/tickets/events-by-the-music-center/Glorya-Kaufman-Dance/1819-season/

Most interesting: Royal Ballet's Mayerling July 5-7, 2019! They are doing it in London in fall 2018, but I can't figure out how to make that work for my schedule, so this is nice to see. Only three performances.

Edited by California

I am so ecstatic about Mayerling. I also hate that this is in LA proper so I won't be able to see all three casts as the back and forth would be painful.

NEVERMIND: I am also confused if the previously announced RB/Wayne Macgregor/Walt Disney Hall collab is in addition to this, or does this replace that event for unnamed reasons? Or was that the Wayne Macgregor run in October (though that is with his company, not the RB)? To me it seems weird that the Royal would announce their tours, including a visit to LA, but not announce they are bringing Mayerling as well?

Sorry, I was going off of the email announcement which didn't clarify this, not the website link. I see now the other program.

Edited by ksk04

Miami City Ballet finally comes to town - to present George Balanchine's The Nutcracker
https://www.musiccenter.org/tickets/events-by-the-music-center/Glorya-Kaufman-Dance/1819-season/george-balanchines-the-nutcracker/

George Balanchine's
The Nutcracker
®
November 30, 2018 | 7:30 p.m.
December 1, 2018 | 2:00 p.m.
December 1, 2018 | 7:30 p.m.
December 2, 2018 | 11:00 a.m.
December 2, 2018 | 4:00 p.m.
The Music Center's Dorothy Chandler Pavilion

I just wish they were doing a Balanchine mixed rep of less-seen works.

I am trying without success (for the past hour) to get to the Music Center's site to buy tickets for Mayerling next July 4 weekend. Single tickets for the spring 2019 series went on sale at 10 am PDT, and I'm guessing they're just crashing. Anybody else having any luck? 

5 hours ago, California said:

I am trying without success (for the past hour) to get to the Music Center's site to buy tickets for Mayerling next July 4 weekend. Single tickets for the spring 2019 series went on sale at 10 am PDT, and I'm guessing they're just crashing. Anybody else having any luck? 

Their site finally came back ( as of 1:37 PDT) but when you try to get to the ticket purchasing site, they say they are having technical difficulties. I'll keep trying. If anybody figures out how to get through, please post.

Edited by California

I got on  about an hour ago, after I saw your message California. I got tickets into my cart but then a big mess with my password that wouldn't work (despite it being correct). When I called, the guy said they weren't actually releasing them online for another hour so he was surprised I could even add them to my cart? Seems like a series of unfortunate technological mishaps, but I did get one date (so far) by phone.

30 minutes ago, ksk04 said:

I got on  about an hour ago, after I saw your message California. I got tickets into my cart but then a big mess with my password that wouldn't work (despite it being correct). When I called, the guy said they weren't actually releasing them online for another hour so he was surprised I could even add them to my cart? Seems like a series of unfortunate technological mishaps, but I did get one date (so far) by phone.

I just now got two tickets - picked from seating chart. Very nice. Then it stopped working so I couldn't get the Sunday matinee. And when I got back to that it seemed the option to "purchase tickets" had disappeared. I am amazed at how incompetent this whole process is -- I guess the Met and State Theater have us spoiled. Pretty good selection, though.

EDITED TO ADD: As of 5:15 pm PDT all three performance have "purchase tickets" available again. 

Edited by California

Can I ask for some suggestions on seating? About feet visibility, sidelines and distance from upstairs

The ramp in orchestra stalls looks decent from the photos on the official website. But I'm not sure what the space is really like. 

Are the front rows of loge and balcony too faraway?

As a short person, I'm  worried about tall men sitting in front of me.

And I'm kind of worried if I get a good seat after the cast is released (in May, I guess.) 

13 hours ago, Xiaoyi said:

Can I ask for some suggestions on seating? About feet visibility, sidelines and distance from upstairs

I've only sat in the "Founders Circle" and Grande Circle balcony area - on the side overhang - which is quite comfortable, and the seats are arranged in such a way that there's no issue with heads being in the way of sight. However, my seats have been located to the sides of the stage so there is that issue. I seem to recall noticing that the orchestra seating has fairly decent legroom. The Dorothy Chandler seating map for the Orchestra section shows that rows are offset to make for better viewing.

Dorothy-Chandler-Pavilion-Seating-Chart-

Unless you can get first row seats, the orchestra seats have the potential tobe disastrous in the first eight rows as the seats are not staggered and there is no rake in the auditorium.  For that reason, I usually sit in the Founders' Circle and especially like and aim to purchase the "wing" areas on each side of the Founders' Circle (row B is better than row A).   The front loge seats are fairly good.  I have only sat in the balcony for the opera.  Except for the orchestra, all other sections are steeply raked.

This year, due totally to the Royal Ballet's appearance, I donated and talked personally with someone in the Donor Services department, expressing my excitement about the Royal Ballet and how my ballet teachers had all come from the Royal Ballet, so they gave me front row seats for all shows.  I was flabbergasted at how wonderfully they accommodated me, but then so many people prefer to sit farther back.   

As far as casting, I would expect Steven MacRae to be first cast Rudolf unless Edward Watson is back, and also Thiago Soares for a performance.  There will likely be three distinct casts.  It is a great show in which to see a variety of their principal dancers and soloists.  I am as excited  about seeing Gary Avis as Franz-Josef (or in anything, actually) as much as seeing whoever does Rudolf.   

Edited by Josette

@pherank and @JosetteThank you very much for sharing the information about the theater. I will try to find some tickets on the Founders Circle if the cast is ideal for me.

By the advertisement of RB Japan Tour , 2019.06.21-30, which is just one week ahead of LA tour (the picture below). It lists almost all the principal dancers except Kish and Bonelli (who is in some study course until next season). 

There is high hope that most of them will come to LA after that. So there will be four possible Rudolph (McRae, Soares, Hirano and Ball). I don't think that Watson will try this exhausting repertoire again, although I would do everything to see the performance if he is listed.

53977527gy1fwu2rxqjp4j22c0340kjl.jpg

Edited by Xiaoyi

Yes, totally agree with Josette about the lack of rake and lack of staggered seating in the orchestra. And yes, all other sections are STEEPLY raked downward. Don't sit in the front rows of one of the upper levels if you have vertigo or a heights issue. Walking down the stairs to the first rows can be a bit nervy, and I am not one who has a fear of heights.

Anyone been able to get the Cyber Monday check out process to happen? Code CYBER for select dance programs (including opening night of Mayerling). I can get the code applied, but am not able to add seats to my cart! 🤔 Their website says their phones are having technical difficulties as well! Nothing much works there, apparently.

On 11/14/2018 at 5:27 PM, Josette said:

As far as casting, I would expect Steven MacRae to be first cast Rudolf unless Edward Watson is back, and also Thiago Soares for a performance.  There will likely be three distinct casts.  It is a great show in which to see a variety of their principal dancers and soloists.  I am as excited  about seeing Gary Avis as Franz-Josef (or in anything, actually) as much as seeing whoever does Rudolf.     

It is official now that Thiago Soares will be performing with the company on tour in Los Angeles. The news came with the announcement of his retirement on his Facebook.

Soares danced with Cuthbertson as Mary Vetsera during the fall, so I would imagine that pairing stays barring injuries. I do hope there are three casts, as I have tickets to the Friday and Sunday shows and those would be the most likely to be repeated.

I have never seen Soares live, so am completely thrilled to see what will be his last performance with the Royal Ballet.   It will be a special and emotional performance for the company. A FB friend who knows Soares quite well told me several months ago that Soares would indeed be dancing Rudolph in Los Angeles, but it was not from an "official" source.  I saw Soares's FB post about his retirement just a few minutes ago. 

18 hours ago, ksk04 said:

Soares danced with Cuthbertson as Mary Vetsera during the fall, so I would imagine that pairing stays barring injuries. I do hope there are three casts, as I have tickets to the Friday and Sunday shows and those would be the most likely to be repeated.

Mayerling is too challenging for the male dancer’s stamina. So there will definitely be three casts.

I have a question for those familiar with this venue.  I found a seating chart (link to PDF) on their website, but there are 2 different seating charts shown for the orchestra seats - one with an orchestra pit (where the front row is Row B), and one without (where the front row is Row BB).  I would guess that the first seating chart applies for the Royal Ballet's performances, since the listing on their website says it will have a live orchestra.  But when I go to book seats, the seating map shown starts at Row BB.  There aren't any seats available until further back from that, but I wasn't sure what has been sold already.  If you have tickets to this or have been to this venue before, can you help?  I'd really appreciate your thoughts - thanks so much!

I would guess they display the seats grayed out even though they are not being sold. However @Josette said above that she got front row seats for all performances, so she might be able to tell you which row they are in.

I find the DCP website totally unreliable and often faulty (see above) and I haven't been able to purchase tickets through it in 6 months, and despite emails trying to get help to resolve the issue, I have received no response. Once previously, they called me months after buying a set of tickets and told me I needed to move because I apparently bought tickets that shouldn't have been sold which was annoying because months later the selection of tickets was terrible and they also didn't really seem to care about that. Not my favorite venue!

Cast for The Royal Ballet's Mayerling:

https://www.musiccenter.org/tickets/events-by-the-music-center/Glorya-Kaufman-Dance/1819-season/royal-ballet/

July 5 Cast

Ryoichi Hirano, Natalia Osipova, Sarah Lamb, Kristen McNally, Francesca Hayward, Marianela Nuñez, Alexander Campbell, Christopher Saunders, Gary Avis

July 6 Cast

Matthew Ball, Sarah Lamb, Laura Morera, Itziar Mendizabal, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Mayara Magri, James Hay, Gary Avis, Nehemiah Kish

July 7 Cast

Thiago Soares, Lauren Cuthbertson, Itziar Mendizabal, Lara Turk, Anna Rose O’Sullivan, Claire Calvert, Paul Kay, Alastair Marriott, Gary Avis