This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB 2018-2019 Season

Just now, abatt said:

Prices are increasing for next season.  I see that the lowest  priced ticket is now $35 plus facility fee.  For the past few seasons the lowest price point was $30 plus facility fee.  It appears that every ticket price point has increased.

Looks like the interim AD's really like Bigonzetti.  In addition to bringing back Oltremare, they are also reviving his In Vento. 

29 to 30 to 35?

ABT 360 to 480?

It is like college rates of inflation

It makes sense to raise the price of the lowest priced tickets, although in the aggregate I'm not sure that price increase really amounts to much in terms of the company's overall financial health.  However, in the past I've seen many, many NYCB programs on tdf, so they have trouble selling the high priced tickets for many programs.  Increasing the prices doesn't seem to make sense for  the higher priced tickets.  Oh well.  I guess even more tickets will end up on tdf or at the half price line across the street at the Atrium.

I just noticed that Union Jack is no longer listed for Spring 2019!   My 2018/2019 subscription book has Union Jack listed for four performances, but NYCB’s website has Tschaikovsky Suite No. 3 replacing all of the Union Jack performances.  

7 minutes ago, NinaFan said:

I just noticed that Union Jack is no longer listed for Spring 2019!   My 2018/2019 subscription book has Union Jack listed for four performances, but NYCB’s website has Tschaikovsky Suite No. 3 replacing all of the Union Jack performances.  

Thank you for noting that. I love Union Jack and I was excited to see it listed when the 18/19 schedule first came out. But then when I checked the schedule online recently and didn't see it I figured it was a major case of wishful thinking on my part. Now I know that I am not delusional, so thank you for that!

Its certainly disappointing that they've dropped it, but it still looks like a really great season.

nysusan and cobweb - I love Union Jack too, and I actually screamed when I saw it on the schedule.  I was already planning out some of my ballets for next year, but couldn't find Union Jack on the online schedule.  Since I sure it was mid May, I grabbed the hard copy of the schedule, and realized they'd pulled the ballet.  I'm sure there are going to be many more people who are equally upset. 

I imagine it is very expensive to put on. The wardrobe budget must be huge (first section). I don’t know how much it costs for the pony, but there’s that. Plus to pull off the first section well must demand a ton of rehearsal time. 

4 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I imagine it is very expensive to put on. The wardrobe budget must be huge (first section). I don’t know how much it costs for the pony, but there’s that. Plus to pull off the first section well must demand a ton of rehearsal time. 

I remember a guide explaining that at the max there are something like 80 dancers on stage at the same time -- and no other company has ever asked permission to perform, most likely because so few companies have that many dancers!

On 5/26/2018 at 6:55 AM, DanielBenton said:

Too bad since i already ordered a ticket for it on May 23!

I would hope that they would let you exchange the ticket.  I realize that casting and programs are subject to change, but this was only published a little over a month ago. 

Just noticed another change in the calendar.  During the spring season 2019, Brandenburg is replaced by Diamonds.  Too bad, because Brandenburg has not been performed in quite some time and I was looking forward to its return.   I guess we cannot complain about seeing Diamonds instead.

I'm now wondering how many additional  calendar changes there are that we have not  noticed.

35 minutes ago, abatt said:

Just noticed another change in the calendar.  During the spring season 2019, Brandenburg is replaced by Diamonds.  Too bad, because Brandenburg has not been performed in quite some time and I was looking forward to its return.   I guess we cannot complain about seeing Diamonds instead.

I'm now wondering how many additional  calendar changes there are that we have not  noticed.

I just did a comparison with the printouts I had from the original season announcement, and the three changes I found are all in spring:

• Tchaikovsky Suite 3 instead of Union Jack
  • Diamonds instead of Brandenburg
  • Dances at a Gathering instead of Liebeslieder Walzer

(The "Classic NYCB II" program was originally two different programs, one with DaaGStars and Stripes and the new Fall 2018 ballet, the other with Liebeslieder instead of DaaG. Now they're both the same.)

I'm particularly disappointed not to be able to see Liebeslieder Walzer again, since I've only seen it once and have heard it's a piece that can really grow on one over repeated viewings.

What has been NYCB's recent practice in performing the individual Jewels ballets separately?

Edited by nanushka
48 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I just did a comparison with the printouts I had from the original season announcement, and the three changes I found are all in spring:

(The "Classic NYCB II" program was originally two different programs, one with DaaGStars and Stripes and the new Fall 2018 ballet, the other with Liebeslieder instead of DaaG. Now they're both the same.)

I'm particularly disappointed not to be able to see Liebeslieder Walzer again, since I've only seen it once and have heard it's a piece that can really grow on one over repeated viewings.

What has been NYCB's recent practice in performing the individual Jewels ballets separately?

NYCB rarely performs individual Jewels ballets.  My only memory of stand alone ballets from Jewels is at galas.  For example, a few years ago they did the Rubies pdd at the Valentino gala.

So disappointed that they axed Liebeslieder.

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

Wow, that is a TOTAL BUMMER!!!

The TWO pieces I was MOST looking forward to seeing next year were Union Jack and Liebeslieder Walzer!!

All of these are huge production numbers that I can't recall being performed in the past several seasons. (I want to say that Liebeslieder was the most recently performed... somewhere around Fall 2015 when Jennie Somogyi retired?) I make the assumption that without an AD in place, the leadership team doesn't feel equipped to rehearse new folks for the principal/corps roles and stage the production in general? 

7 minutes ago, DC Export said:

All of these are huge production numbers that I can't recall being performed in the past several seasons. (I want to say that Liebeslieder was the most recently performed... somewhere around Fall 2015 when Jennie Somogyi retired?) I make the assumption that without an AD in place, the leadership team doesn't feel equipped to rehearse new folks for the principal/corps roles and stage the production in general? 

Yes, given current circumstances I don't fault them at all for making these changes (only perhaps for not making them before the original announcement). It's still a pretty impressive and exciting year of programming.

(And yes, I think that's correct re: Liebeslieder. The one time I saw it was her farewell performance.)

7 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Thanks, JuliaJ! I am marking those dates on my calendar RIGHT NOW.

I wonder why, if they are doing Liebeslieder in the winter, they are replacing it for the spring?

Don't buy anything just yet! A few years ago, I noticed a lone Les Noces on the schedule and thought that was odd, given such an elaborate production. It was apparently a mistake, as it was replaced weeks later with something else.