This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB 2018-2019 Season

On 8/30/2018 at 3:27 PM, Leah said:

New corps members this season are India Bradley, Nieve Corrigan, Gabriella Domini, Gilbert Bolden, Mary Mackinnon, and Andres Zuniga.

Trying to recall who were last year’s apprentices. Is this the whole batch of them, or was there anyone not continuing on?

4 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

Probably controversial and will never happen but I wish they would ask Gelsey Kirkland to coach.  Everyone always says how special she was...well there's a reason for that!  Why not utilize her talents now that her ex is out of the picture!

I believe that Kirkland pretty much renounced her SAB training and went Russian, or tried to in some ways. She is a fan of full length, story ballets including mime. I don't think she'd be a fit for NYCB. I agree that she was special as a dancer, not my favorite, but special. However that doesn't mean she has what it takes to be a great teacher or coach. Most importantly she has never indicated an interest in the Balanchine legacy, quite the opposite.

20 minutes ago, vipa said:

I believe that Kirkland pretty much renounced her SAB training and went Russian, or tried to in some ways. She is a fan of full length, story ballets including mime. I don't think she'd be a fit for NYCB. I agree that she was special as a dancer, not my favorite, but special. However that doesn't mean she has what it takes to be a great teacher or coach. Most importantly she has never indicated an interest in the Balanchine legacy, quite the opposite.

Yes, I was thinking specifically of the non-Balanchine story ballets.  She's been teaching for several years now, yes, I understand it's Russian... but so is the foundation of Balanchine technique.  Anyways, as I said, I realize this is a controversial opinion.  

This first week of casting makes me want to throw all my money at NYCB.

Many exciting debuts. I’m looking forward to Lauren King in Emeralds, as well. I didn’t realize she had done that role previously. 

ETA: And Harrison Ball’s return!  A debut in Tschai Pas is a pretty good welcome back. 

Edited by yukionna4869
On 8/31/2018 at 1:32 PM, nysusan said:

So happy to hear about this! Now I want to see Farrell here coaching her roles.

Great idea! I’d love to see Farrell coaching. Imagine her working with Sara Mearns! Bring back Tzigane!! 

I may try for tickets to Indiana Woodward’s debut in Symphony in C. She should be lovely in that Third movt. 

18 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

Great idea! I’d love to see Farrell coaching. Imagine her working with Sara Mearns! Bring back Tzigane!! 

I may try for tickets to Indiana Woodward’s debut in Symphony in C. She should be lovely in that Third movt. 

She did it in saratoga with Sebastian VV. Spectacular. Go! 

57 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

Maybe now that Martins is gone, some of the ballets as to which Farrell owns the copyright might enter NYCB rep, such as Tzigane.

On 9/5/2018 at 4:58 PM, FPF said:

He was great in this at Saratoga!

I saw him on Lincoln Center grounds a few weeks ago, presumably taking a noon-time break from rehearsals. Hesitated going up to say hello and good work. With 4T and Symphony in C, he finally seems to be getting tested and groomed for bigger roles.  His brother, btw, is a Martha Graham dancer.

Though, Woodward would seem too big a partner, physically speaking, for S. V-V.

37 minutes ago, bcash said:

I saw him on Lincoln Center grounds a few weeks ago, presumably taking a noon-time break from rehearsals. Hesitated going up to say hello and good work. With 4T and Symphony in C, he finally seems to be getting tested and groomed for bigger roles.  His brother, btw, is a Martha Graham dancer.

Though, Woodward would seem too big a partner, physically speaking, for S. V-V.

I realize Sebastian V-V is not a big guy, but Indiana Woodward is tiny. I would think they’d make a perfect pairing.