This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB 2018-2019 Season

La Sylphide and Sleeping Beauty to be revived next season.  New choreography is discussed in the attached article.  Not much other substantive info revealed.  The article is mostly about the trials and tribulations of planning the season by the interim directors.   Oh, and the search for Martins'  replacement is in the "early" stages.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/arts/dance/new-york-city-ballet-new-season.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

31 minutes ago, abatt said:

La Sylphide and Sleeping Beauty to be revived next season.  New choreography is discussed in the attached article.  Not much other substantive info revealed.  The article is mostly about the trials and tribulations of planning the season by the interim directors.   Oh, and the search for Martins'  replacement is in the "early" stages.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/16/arts/dance/new-york-city-ballet-new-season.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

It says the new season is being announced today, but I can't find anything yet on their web site. A  year ago they announced the new season on April 17, so we'll hope this comes soon. If anybody finds anything on-line, please do share.

I guess I'm cynical, but since Justin Peck was in charge of or instrumental in selecting the last two new works, it was unlikely that Peck would pick a competitor within NYCB to make a new work.   Also, Lovette's work has been okay, but it has not been groundbreaking or exceptional in any way.  If part of the goal is to increase diversity, it made sense that they would choose Abraham, who also happens to be a MacArthur Genius award winner. 

Jewels returns.   Excellent.

DeLuz's retirement is on the final day of the fall season.  Program TBA, but it looks like they are reviving Prodigal, Other Dances and Fancy Free around that time.  Any or all are likely for his farewell.

Justin Peck was apparently in charge of some programming.  I think that might explain why Times are Racing appears  on 3 programs.  Yes, actually, it is very popular.  Although I'm not a fan of this ballet, I thought it looked much less exciting without Robert Fairchild.  Ashley Isaacs doesn't have the charisma to pull off R. Fairchild's role.

Edited by abatt

Concerto Barocco, Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux, Stravinsky Violin Concerto, and Symphony in C in the same evening... is this the rapture!? :wub: The upcoming seasons look magnificent. I can't wait.

I'm very curious to see Orpheus after having read about it in Bernard Taper's biography of Balanchine.

I wish they'd give us the entirety of "After the Rain." The pas de deux alone is too sappy for my taste, and I love the cold starkness of the Rain segment.

The only truly groan-worthy item, in my book, is Oltremare. I actually love The Times Are Racing and especially Ashly Isaacs in it (although I admit I saw it only twice, and both with Isaacs doing the role R. Fairchild originated).

What's the deal with the One-Time-Only Program on Feb. 8, I wonder? Some special announcement?!

Edited by mille-feuille

What a fantastic season! I only wish they were doing Tchaikovsky Suite No. 3 more than just once (on the spring gala program). But that's just a small quibble about a season filled with Balanchine masterpieces, including all of his major works set to Tchaikovsky. 

Edited by fondoffouettes
45 minutes ago, yukionna4869 said:

Maybe I should revisit it.

I’m loving the 2018-19 season. I hope Amat can get a leave of absence from Carousel to do an Emeralds or two. 

The NYTimes called Amar's performance in Carousel "electric".  I'm guessing that he is going to be nominated  as best supporting actor in a musical when the Tony noms are announced next month.   I don't think we will see him back at NYCB during the Fall season or Winter seasons.

Edited by abatt

If the search for a new AD is still "in the early stages" (!!), what is going to happen with promotions, I wonder. Surely they can't put that off indefinitely. They will soon have to make decisions about moving the apprentices to the corps, and choosing a new batch of apprentices. Will other promotion decisions be made as well?

Prices are increasing for next season.  I see that the lowest  priced ticket is now $35 plus facility fee.  For the past few seasons the lowest price point was $30 plus facility fee.  It appears that every ticket price point has increased.

Looks like the interim AD's really like Bigonzetti.  In addition to bringing back Oltremare, they are also reviving his In Vento. 

Edited by abatt
3 hours ago, mille-feuille said:

Concerto Barocco, Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux, Stravinsky Violin Concerto, and Symphony in C in the same evening... is this the rapture!? :wub: 

LOL. :D

I'm way overdue to see Concerto Barocco again, one of my favorite ballets ever.

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Porte et Soupir! :D

Woo Hoo! One of my guilty pleasures! The company absolutely needs to revive this one while Maria Kowroski is still on the roster. I've seen several ballerinas perform it (including Karin von Aroldingen, who originated the ballerina role) and Kowroski was hands down the best — appropriately droll without being the least bit arch. It doesn't hurt that she looks fabulous in the get-up. I can imagine Reichlen in it, too, but will make it a point to see Kowroski if she's cast.