This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

RDB Group to Jacob’s Pillow, Mid-June 2018

On 3/31/2018 at 1:13 PM, CharlieH said:

A contingent from the RDB will perform in June 20-24 at Jacob’s Pillow Festival, Becket, Massachusets (Berkshires area).

https://www.jacobspillow.org/events/royal-danish-ballet/

How difficult is it to get there from NYC? Any direct busses...or is driving the only way to go? Any recommended lodging options? Thanks for any travel hints!

I realize that this is too late forthe RDB, but if you're still interested in going to the Pillow for future performances, their webpage mentions some travel options: https://www.jacobspillow.org/visit/directions-travel/.  

I saw the RDB Saturday matinee on June 23rd. The program format was unbalanced, with a short ballet and excepts from 5 others before the intermission and the Bournonville's Napoli Tarantella by itself afterwards.  The pas de sept from A Folk Tale was the opener. The dancers normally portray trolls, but here were in plain red costumes. Next was the shortDvorak pas de deux by Lander. This was followed by a pas de deux between James and the Sylph from La Sylphide, featuring Amy Watson as the sylph and Marcin Kupinski as James. This was one of the highlights, due to Watson's charming sylph. The white and black swan pas de deux were next, with the black swan (Holly Jean Dorger with Jonathan Chmelensky) ) a bit vulgar, but easily able to handle the technical challenges. I think that the white swan is not that effective as a showpiece without the corps de ballet behind, but the dancers (Kizzy Matiakis and Andreas Kaas) were fine. More Bournonville followed, with a pas de deux from Kermesse in Bruges featuring Ida Praetorius and Andreas Kaas, both charming. Finally, the first "half" ended with the 2nd act pas de deux from Giselle. Again, the dancers, J'Aime Crandall and Meirambek Nazargozhayev, were excellent, but I don't find this to be dramatically effective with out the wilis and Myrtha. The Tarantella from Napoli provided the fun grand finale.

Nikolaj Hubbe was interviewed post-peformance. He spoke about wanting to show off the diversity of the company's diverse repertory, not just the Bournonville. And he was very patient when questioned by an audience member about the Royal Ballet (UK) rather than the RDB. The talk is available on the Jacob's Pillow youtube channel (with a bit of performance footage interspersed).

Putting excerpt programs together is always rather tricky I suppose, but overall this sounds very enjoyable...

It has been seventeen years (!) since I have seen dancers from the RDB perform. (Assuming Lendorf with ABT in Whipped Cream doesn’t count.) 

Edited by Drew
Typo