This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Suggestions for choosing a performance of Giselle

Hello everyone at the forums.

Living in Buenos Aires, I am not very familiar with ABT. I will have the chance of attending one single performance of Giselle next May. I might choose Tuesday 15 (Copeland - Cornejo - Abrera) or Wednesday 16 (Boylston - Whiteside - Teuscher). Since I will be working, I won't be able to attend the Wednesday matinee (Lane - Simkin - Shevchenko).

Which of those performances would you suggest and why? 

Thank you in advance for your input.

Hello Eduardo. I would suggest Boylston-Whiteside-Teuscher. I enjoy all of these dancers very much. Also, given Misty Copeland’s popularity with the general public you may be able to get better and less expensive seats for the Wednesday show as well. 

This is my opinion, of course, and I would be interested to see what others think.

In general, I am a fan of neither Boylston nor Copeland, and I'd probably be equally likely to see either of them, if those were my only choices. (Particularly in Giselle. I'd prefer to see either of them in other works.) If that's the case, I agree with the above suggestions: yes, definitely, to Cornejo and Abrera. (Though you're taking a risk with the former, especially. He's been plagued with injuries the past few years.)

I also second the point about the likelihood that tickets are already scarcer for that performance, though, due to Copeland.

In any case, enjoy!

Edited by nanushka

Another vote here for not missing the opportunity to see Herman Cornejo. 

If there's any chance at all to see the matinee, Lane-Simkin-Shevchenko would definitely be my first choice, however. 

Eduardo, hope you report back on the performance!

I think it's all in what you can tolerate with the Giselle options, honestly, to echo what everyone else has said. I have seen seen Misty's Giselle last year with La Scala; it's not great with the fudging of choreo and a total lack of lightness in jumps, but I imagine better than Boylston who seems incongruous with the romantic port de bras and epaulement required in the second act--that would be like nails on the chalkboard to me the whole time, but perhaps that might bother you less. Cornejo and Abrera would seal the Copeland choice because I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to see them in anything.

I would also suggest the performance with Copeland.  Afterwards, you'll be able to discuss what you saw and what you felt about her performance in an informed way, as an eyewitness.  In addition, you'll also experience the nonpareil dancing of Cornejo and Abrera, both of whom are truly special artists.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

I'll definitely get a ticket for the Copeland - Cornejo - Abrera performance, which by the way suits better to my working schedule.

At first I was thinking of the other performance, since Herman Cornejo will be guesting here at Teatro Colón as Conrad, alongside Kochetkova as Medora and Simkin as Ali. That will happen in ten days and I already got my tickets. But I've changed my mind.

3 hours ago, cobweb said:

Eduardo, hope you report back on the performance!

5 minutes ago, laurel said:

I would also suggest the performance with Copeland.  Afterwards, you'll be able to discuss what you saw and what you felt about her performance in an informed way, as an eyewitness.  In addition, you'll also experience the nonpareil dancing of Cornejo and Abrera, both of whom are truly special artists.

Not sure about that. Last January I attended a performance of the NYCB. I entered the forum with the idea of posting something about that, but I found that several other members were reporting about the very same performance I attended. All of them noticed something wrong in one of those ballets, some kind of partnering misunderstanding that was even noticeable in the main ballerina's face (the ballet was Chaconne, maybe some of you read about that here in the forums). I saw nothing of that, I thought everything was fine, I didn't notice anything wrong, neither the partnering flop nor the disgusted ballerina gesture. Adding that to the fact that English is not my native language and my lack of knowledge about steps and many other things, I thought I'd rather remain just a reader.

One more time, thank you all. Really appreciate that you took your time to reply my question.

6 minutes ago, eduardo said:

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

I'll definitely get a ticket for the Copeland - Cornejo - Abrera performance, which by the way suits better to my working schedule.

At first I was thinking of the other performance, since Herman Cornejo will be guesting here at Teatro Colón as Conrad, alongside Kochetkova as Medora and Simkin as Ali. That will happen in ten days and I already got my tickets. But I've changed my mind.

Not sure about that. Last January I attended a performance of the NYCB. I entered the forum with the idea of posting something about that, but I found that several other members were reporting about the very same performance I attended. All of them noticed something wrong in one of those ballets, some kind of partnering misunderstanding that was even noticeable in the main ballerina's face (the ballet was Chaconne, maybe some of you read about that here in the forums). I saw nothing of that, I thought everything was fine, I didn't notice anything wrong, neither the partnering flop nor the disgusted ballerina gesture. Adding that to the fact that English is not my native language and my lack of knowledge about steps and many other things, I thought I'd rather remain just a reader.

One more time, thank you all. Really appreciate that you took your time to reply my question.

I apologize.  I meant to say you could tell your friends and family what you thought, if they will be interested in your opinion of the performance when you return home.  As long as you enjoy your evening at the ballet, that's what's important.

Of course, laurel, no apology needed. I think I misunderstood what you said about discussing the performance.

I thank you and all the other forum members who shared their thoughts here.

8 hours ago, nanushka said:

In any case, enjoy!

I'm sure I will! Never attended a ballet performance at the Met, so I'm sure that will be a great experience!

Eduardo - that cast at BsAs Teatro Colon sounds superior than your ABT options. 

Good to learn Paloma can attract top talent.  

Addendum:  skip ABT and go see New York City Ballet’s All Robbins program at 7:30pm.  

In G Major

Afternoon of a Faun

Antique Epigraphs

The Concert (or, the perils of everybody)

Edited by Jayne
Addendum
7 hours ago, eduardo said:

Never attended a ballet performance at the Met, so I'm sure that will be a great experience!

It is a special experience, I find. It may not be the ideal house for viewing ballet (by a long shot), but there's something exciting about settling in there for a dramatic full-length like Giselle. It feels like an event — and, if one is lucky, the dancing is of a quality to sustain that feeling.

11 hours ago, eduardo said:

I am sure you were not the only one on here who had that experience. I wasn't at that particular performance, but I've been at others after which some on here have written about things that I just completely missed — or that I saw, but interpreted very differently. No one's perspective on here is definitive, and we all have the potential to make observations that can illuminate others' experiences.

I wouldn't let that particular sort of experience (what you described above) prevent you from sharing your thoughts here on what you've seen. That said, it can definitely be just as nice to view and appreciate and not feel the need to put into words any sort of response.

9 hours ago, cobweb said:

Eduardo, I for one would be glad to hear your report. I hope there is room here for many voices. Hope you enjoy the performance!

Thank you, cobweb! As a reader, I do think there's room for many voices here. In my case it's just some sort of self consciousness. Just me, not the forums actually.

8 hours ago, Jayne said:

Eduardo - that cast at BsAs Teatro Colon sounds superior than your ABT options. 

Good to learn Paloma can attract top talent.  

Addendum:  skip ABT and go see New York City Ballet’s All Robbins program at 7:30pm.  

In G Major

Afternoon of a Faun

Antique Epigraphs

The Concert (or, the perils of everybody)

Agreed. Repetiteur will be Julio Bocca, so I think we can expect good performances. Paloma seems to be doing some things right. Later in the season Marianela Núñez will be dancing The Merry Widow. No more guests announced so far. I highly credit her for having settled the argument with Lady McMillan in order to bring back Romeo and Juliet. after the problem arised after the dubious (to put it mildly) choreographic version performed here a couple of years ago, signed by Maximiliano Guerra as his own.

About the NYCB, thank you for the suggestion. Actually, I'll have "my own" Robbins-NYCB festival, since I've got tickets for Thursday and Friday evenings and Saturday matinee a long time ago. On Saturday they will perform the very same program you suggest.

In fact, I thought of attending an ABT performance since I only had the chance to see them once, about thirty years ago, when they came to Buenos Aires on tour. Julio was one of the principals then and Paloma was a member of the corps. On the other hand, every time I have the chance to spend some days in NYC I try to attend any performance by the NYCB.

2 hours ago, nanushka said:

I am sure you were not the only one on here who had that experience. I wasn't at that particular performance, but I've been at others after which some on here have written about things that I just completely missed — or that I saw, but interpreted very differently. No one's perspective on here is definitive, and we all have the potential to make observations that can illuminate others' experiences.

I wouldn't let that particular sort of experience (what you described above) prevent you from sharing your thoughts here on what you've seen. That said, it can definitely be just as nice to view and appreciate and not feel the need to put into words any sort of response.

Thank you nanushka, I appreciate your support, and all the others' who have posted here.

Edited by eduardo
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, laurel said:

In this regard, are any rehearsals of Giselle open this year? Rehearsals are where I've done a lot of comparisons, and seen people on whom I wouldn't spend money.

On 3/28/2018 at 6:13 AM, eduardo said:

Living in Buenos Aires, I am not very familiar with ABT. I will have the chance of attending one single performance of Giselle next May. I might choose Tuesday 15 (Copeland - Cornejo - Abrera) or Wednesday 16 (Boylston - Whiteside - Teuscher). Since I will be working, I won't be able to attend the Wednesday matinee (Lane - Simkin - Shevchenko).

I guess I am in the minority here, but I would attend Boylston’s Giselle.  In my opinion, Boylston is a far stronger and superior dancer with an incredible jump.  I agree that seeing Cornejo would be the high point of the Copeland Giselle performance.  However a Giselle who can’t do the choreography can ruin the entire performance, while an inferior Albrecht may only ruin half the performance.  Whiteside may not project the emotion needed for the role, but he can dance.  That being said, I am seeing a number of performances where I dislike half of my cast, but I’m in NY and I am able to see additional performances to make up for it.  Whichever you see, I’m sure you’ll enjoy seeing your first MET performance.  Have great time!

On 3/28/2018 at 6:13 AM, eduardo said:

This may not be helpful, but I would do everything in my power to change my work schedule in order to see the Wednesday matinee with Lane, Simkin, and Shevchenko. They are far and away the best cast.

2 hours ago, angelica said:

This may not be helpful, but I would do everything in my power to change my work schedule in order to see the Wednesday matinee with Lane, Simkin, and Shevchenko. They are far and away the best cast.

I totally agree!