This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SF Ballet 2018 Tours

4 hours ago, pherank said:

The expense of bringing the full orchestra is prohibitive, I know that much.

In the past, there have been musicians' union issues with bringing in outside groups. Visiting troupes can bring their own conductor, but must use local musicians. Deals have been reached with some companies.

On 10/28/2018 at 9:55 PM, pherank said:

Wheeldon's ballet got mixed reviews in San Francisco (where his work is well known). Obviously not every ballet is going to work on all levels, even for the most experienced choreographers, and the choreographers were asked to take risks, which could be an invitation to disaster. Or not.  😉

I really appreciate how Wheeldon's choreographic range is so broad. Having worked with him and danced two of his earlier pieces, I could see elements in Bound To - like the ebb and flow of dancers on and off the stage and the interesting, fluid partnering - that instantly made it recognizable as his. But I also loved seeing how he has experimented in making more theatrical works with the cool use of lighting and scenery.