This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky at the Kennedy Center-Le Corsaire Apr 9-14, 2019

Castings announced: http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/event/BTBSG?fbclid=IwAR0TAfEG1jOHCh5Qq2JOreXJn_z17ZoVxpbnb91xx9VSYN9DqvXTVmTSRZs

Tue., Apr. 9 at 7:30 p.m.
Medora: Viktoria Tereshkina
Conrad: Timur Askerov
Gulnara: Renata Shakirova
Ali: Kimin Kim
Lankedem: Alexei Timofeyev

Wed., Apr. 10 at 7:30 p.m.
Medora: Ekaterina Kondaurova
Conrad: Andrei Yermakov
Gulnara: Elena Evseyeva
Ali: Vladimir Shklyarov
Lankedem: Philipp Stepin

Thu., Apr. 11 at 7:30 p.m.
Medora: Maria Khoreva
Conrad: Xander Parish
Gulnara: Maria Shirinkina
Ali: Timur Askerov
Lankedem: Victor Caixeta

Fri., Apr. 12 at 7:30 p.m.
Conrad: Konsantin Zverev

Sat., Apr. 13 at 1:30 p.m.
Medora: Maria Khoreva
Conrad: Xander Parish
Gulnara: Maria Shirinkina
Ali: Timur Askerov
Lankedem: Victor Caixeta

Sat., Apr. 13 at 7:30 p.m.

Medora: Ekaterina Kondaurova
Conrad: Andrei Yermakov
Gulnara: Elena Evseyeva
Ali: Vladimir Shklyarov
Lankedem: Philipp Stepin

Sun., Apr. 14 at 1:30 p.m.
Conrad: Konstantin Zverev

I could only make the Tuesday night, and it looks like I lucked out - very excited to see Kim as Ali!

Now off to read what the regular Mariinsky watchers think of Tereshkina and Shakirova.

I didn't care for Kondaurova when I saw her as Nikiya last year, so I'm glad I get to see some other ballerinas. Although I would have liked to see Batoeva again - she was a great Gamzatti!

Kennedy Center site is now showing Nagahisa as the Gulnare to Kondaurova's Medora.  Well, that information may have been up there a while--I just noticed it tonight.

I'm very happy about all the dancers I have tickets to see. (Would have been happy to see Yevseyeva as Gulnare as well. Guess you could say I'm just happy to have tickets to see the Mariinsky.)

Edited by Drew

Casting changes ;-(( No Tereshkina, Khoreva replaces her performances, Ekaterina Chebykina will be replacing Khoreva. Sad that i will not see Tereshkina. I'm not a big fan of Chebykina ;-((

http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/event/BTBSG

I have tickets for three performances, three casts. Hugely disappointed not to be seeing Tereshkina.

I found Chebykina's Clemence a couple of years ago wonderful. What I have seen on video since then has seemed considerably more uneven to me, but I'm not at all unhappy to see her.  Just very sorry not to have a chance to see Tereshkina again in a big classical role.  And I was also looking forward to seeing Tereshkina and Kim together! 

Opening the visit with Khoreva also puts a big responsibility on a young and inexperienced dancer's shoulders--and she is also going to be dancing (partly) opposite the sensational Kim in the pas de trois which is a different kind of challenge. I hope she does great.

Edited by Drew

Weeellll that is now three of the dancers I was most looking forward to seeing off the tour--Tereshkina, Shakirova, and Shklyarov. Since Tereshkina is not injured, I find her absence especially painful.  (I don't know what the story is with Shklyarov...and Shakirova's injury has already been mentioned upthread...)

I have no complaints about anyone who IS coming--though I could wish the company had another Ali who was as potentially exciting as Kim. 

Edited because there is no point in worrying about Mariinsky casting until one is in the theater and the curtain up. So I will stick to worrying about my travel plans going smoothly.

Edited by Drew
11 hours ago, canbelto said:

I just tried to view the casting, and I got this once I clicked on the link:

We are experiencing high traffic.

You are currently in a temporary waiting room to enter the Kennedy Center website. 

This waiting room is in place to manage the high traffic we are currently experiencing. From this waiting room page, you will be redirected to the Kennedy Center website, once traffic allows. 

When you are on the Kennedy Center website, you will be able to view and purchase tickets for all events taking place at the Kennedy Center.

Thank you for your patience and your interest in the Kennedy Center.
Your number in line: 3785 
Number of users in line ahead of you: 735 

My number in line is 3785?! :rofl:

I've never seen this before....I mean, I know it's probably because of the Mariinsky casting, but still, hilarious!

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Mariinsky casting.  On a day when public sales begin for a variety of events at the KC, the KC website becomes overwhelmed and the computer program makes an assumption that anyone visiting the site is looking to buy tickets.  I don't know what went on sale today.  You can directly get into the casting page instead of going to the home page  by clicking canbelto's link.

Edited by abatt
12 hours ago, Drew said:

Edited because there is no point in worrying about Mariinsky casting until one is in the theater and the curtain up. So I will stick to worrying about my travel plans going smoothly.

Ditto, and the best way to look at it.

Can anyone who attended the opening night performance help me figure out who was the third Odalisque replacing May Nagahisa? 

I’ll post my thoughts later after I have seen a couple of more performances. The dancing from all main characters was excellent tonight but I can’t  say that I liked Peter Gusev’s version of the ballet. The libretto was different as well as the  music. I am so used to the comical, light headed and silly treatment of the story that I wasn’t prepared to this more somber interpretation, with somewhat sensible portrayal of women slavery. I thought that dropping of Bribanto’s character out of the storyline after Act 2 was a shortcoming as there was no further development of the confrontation between him and Conrad once Medora recognizes him as the betrayer. And I found the set design gaudy. 

Edited by Dreamer
9 hours ago, Dreamer said:

Can anyone who attended the opening night performance help me figure out who was the third Odalisque replacing May Nagahisa? 

I’ll post my thoughts later after I have seen a couple of more performances. The dancing from all main characters was excellent tonight but I can’t  say that I liked Peter Gusev’s version of the ballet. The libretto was different as well as the  music. I am so used to the comical, light headed and silly treatment of the story that I wasn’t prepared to this more somber interpretation, with somewhat sensible portrayal of women slavery. I thought that dropping of Bribanto’s character out of the storyline after Act 2 was a shortcoming as there was no further development of the confrontation between him and Conrad once Medora recognizes him as the betrayer. And I found the set design gaudy. 

The 3rd Odalisque was Bulanova, according to Xander Parrish’s Instagram stories. 

Edited by annaewgn
1 hour ago, annaewgn said:

The 3rd Odalisque was Bulanova, according to Xander Parrish’s Instagram stories

Thank you! I am not familiar with younger Mariinsky dancers and would not have recognized her. At the open dress rehearsal that part was danced by Shamala Guseinova but, according to the playbill, she is not scheduled for any performance.