This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT: Roster in Review - 2018

3 minutes ago, nanushka said:

If not heaven, maybe Forster, Hoven and Royal could help them! (And Gorak — though probably not filling in for either of those two specifically.)

I agree, in theory, but if Stearns and/or Whiteside becomes injured and has to be replaced immediately, and for several shows across several ballets (we've seen that happen), not one of those three has done or is scheduled to debut as Siegfried, Prince Desire, Conrad, Manon. I'd hate to see one of them get thrown into one of those roles with only a few days rehearsal time (aka Lane in SL).

Separately, there are two Conrad TBA's that will hopefully go to one of those soloists.

Just now, ABT Fan said:

I agree, in theory, but if Stearns and/or Whiteside becomes injured and has to be replaced immediately, and for several shows across several ballets (we've seen that happen), not one of those three has done or is scheduled to debut as Siegfried, Prince Desire, Conrad, Manon. I'd hate to see one of them get thrown into one of those roles with only a few days rehearsal time (aka Lane in SL).

Aaron Robison, now of SFB, has a lot of fans on this site (including me) and their season ends in May. He's done Manon (with Houston) and has quite a rep.

https://www.sfballet.org/artists/dancers/aaron_robison

35 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Well not all injuries are last-minute, and there's a long time between now and May/June/July for a lot of things to potentially change — but yes, an "immediate" replacement with one of those three would not be ideal.

As for Hammoudi — been there, done that, no more please! He's gotten enough Met chances, and has never (to my knowledge, in my opinion) risen to the occasion.

They could bring back former "company flagship" soloists such  as Jared Matthews and Joseph Phillips for guest appearances so the NYC audience can catch up on their progress and get a demonstration of what might have been if ABT put more effort into developing and recognizing the home grown talent a few years ago.

12 hours ago, lmspear said:

They could bring back former "company flagship" soloists such  as Jared Matthews and Joseph Phillips for guest appearances so the NYC audience can catch up on their progress and get a demonstration of what might have been if ABT put more effort into developing and recognizing the home grown talent a few years ago.

Love it.

On 12/18/2018 at 5:28 PM, nanushka said:

As for Hammoudi — been there, done that, no more please! He's gotten enough Met chances, and has never (to my knowledge, in my opinion) risen to the occasion.

Nanushka, I have never seen any of his "Met chances," but I will take your word for it. That's disheartening to hear, though.

Also, I'm noticing today that Tyler Maloney has been given two Harlequins, and one 'Boy' in Whipped Cream. (Perhaps this was always the case and I am only noticing now... but I think some of these were formerly scheduled as Lendorf performances?) Has anyone noticed him especially in the past?

1 hour ago, vendangeuse said:

Also, I'm noticing today that Tyler Maloney has been given two Harlequins, and one 'Boy' in Whipped Cream. (Perhaps this was always the case and I am only noticing now... but I think some of these were formerly scheduled as Lendorf performances?) Has anyone noticed him especially in the past?

I think Maloney was cast as the Boy in Whipped Cream all along, and I believe the same goes for Harlequinade (I think the Harlequins originally assigned to Lendorf went to Carlos Gonzalez). Maloney was very good in Serenade After Plato's Symposium. I've otherwise only seen him in strictly corps roles, but he has always struck me as a fine dancer. 

I hope Marshall Whiteley gets some opportunities this spring. He's certainly a standout in the corps, and based on videos he has posted, he's able to pull off a surprising degree of bravura dancing for someone so tall. 

Edited by fondoffouettes