This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT: Roster in Review - 2018

13 hours ago, Jayne said:

It might work for ABT have a fall season in Orange County with all their works.  Then spend Jan - June in NYC.  

ABT has to fit its NYC schedule into the available time at the Metropolitan Opera House and the formerly-known-as State Theatre.  The Met is occupied from late September through mid-May by the Metropolitan Opera Company.  There are a couple of open weeks in the fall at the State, so ABT has a fall season there.

On 3/22/2018 at 3:02 AM, its the mom said:

I think they did Fancy Free in 2015.  I just thought it would have been nice to give Robbins more of a nod on his 100th birthday.  Perhaps they will in the fall.  

I was not thrilled with what Dorrance did in Vail.  Perhaps I have not seen enough of her work.

I'm a sucker for rhythm, so I'm an instant audience for tap, but even with that, I think Dorrance is doing something really special with her work.  I saw a bit of the Tiler Peck/Bill Irwin work online, and loved it, in part because I'm a big Irwin fangirl.  Dorrance brought her Blues Project to Seattle a couple years ago and it just knocked me flat -- we see her again next month and I'm really excited. 

But not every work is for everyone -- your mileage may vary!

On 3/22/2018 at 6:17 AM, abatt said:

The invitation to Dorrance to choreograph a piece for ABT is bizarre.  I always go see Dorrance and her company, but tap  and ballet do not blend.  An experiment that may be completely appropriate and innovative for a summer festival is not not an experiment that should also be pursued at a large opera house.  This is a McKenzie gimmick.

Did you see her work at the Guggenheim?  I have a feeling that's part of the attraction in this commission for ABT -- she made that austere and beautiful space into a dance place.

On 3/21/2018 at 1:47 PM, meunier fan said:

It's interesting to note that the RB seems to subsidize McGregor's one act ballets when they appear - certainly in their premiere outings - by subsidizing the ticket prices.  They are much lower than the full lengths certainly.  (If memory serves this was true for the premiere of Woolf Works as well.) I don't know if this will be true for ABT's triple outing in this regard.  

I bought the RB tape and paid to see SFB and watch WB Day and can't understand it.

Edited by Vs1
error
On 3/21/2018 at 7:19 AM, its the mom said:

4) Severe lack of creativity and vision.  While the company is supposedly America's classical company, the dancers should be afforded the opportunity for strong contemporary work.  Looking around at the other large companies in the U.S. and abroad, they are all performing works which afford the dancers the opportunity to work with current, contemporary, and proven choreographers.  (PNB, SFB, Boston, and numerous European companies come to mind.) While many here will disagree, I am delighted that the dancers are working with McGregor.  I do not consider Lang, Millipied, and the latest announcement of Dorrance, to be of the caliber the dancers deserve.  Obviously, an opinion.  I also wonder why the company has not joined in on the MacMillan celebration or Robbins celebration (I realize they performed "Other Dances.")  

Is this what people want or expect from ABT or is it the company's role?

On 5/13/2018 at 11:45 AM, fondoffouettes said:

Is Sean Stewart leaving the company? This post from Cassandra Trenary seems to suggest it, but it’s ambiguous.

Sean Stewart was one of the dancing peasant men in Act I of "Giselle" on Tuesday night - he is still listed in the corps.  According to his ABT bio, Sean Stewart joined the ABT corps de ballet in 1997 - twenty-one years ago.  He left the company in 2002 and rejoined in 2008.  I don't know his age but I think 40 is looming on the horizon.  Hopefully it is his choice to move on from his life in ballet since he has always been a very stylish dancer and a good performer.

Just now, FauxPas said:

Sean Stewart was one of the dancing peasant men in Act I of "Giselle" on Tuesday night - he is still listed in the corps.  According to his ABT bio, Sean Stewart joined the ABT corps de ballet in 1997 - twenty-one years ago.  He left the company in 2002 and rejoined in 2008.  I don't know his age but I think 40 is looming on the horizon.  Hopefully it is his choice to move on from his life in ballet since he has always been a very stylish dancer and a good performer.

Wow! I would have never guessed he was nearing 40. But ballet dancers seems to drink at the fountain of youth. 

It's confirmed that Gray Davis (husband of Cassandra Trenary) is leaving after the Met season, and will presumably head to Georgia shortly thereafter.

It'll be interesting to see if Lendorf remains on the roster after this season. It's been assumed he's been injured (he was injured awhile back, but is he still (?), I've seen no confirmation), but he's barely danced with the company, pulling out of one performance after another. If he's still injured, I wish him a good recovery. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go. 

Zimmi Coker, an apprentice that a few of us have noticed during the Met season, has been promoted to the corps along with a few of the other former apprentices. I noticed this in tonight's R&J program. The roster on the company's website hasn't been updated yet.

14 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Zimmi Coker, an apprentice that a few of us have noticed during the Met season, has been promoted to the corps along with a few of the other former apprentices. I noticed this in tonight's R&J program. The roster on the company's website hasn't been updated yet.

Yay! Well-deserved. Happy we can look forward to seeing Zimmi develop with ABT. 

According to an e-mail just sent out by English National Ballet, Jeffrey Cirio is joining as Lead Principal. No indication of whether he will continue an affiliation with ABT.

"Joining the Company

Following his recent guest performances with the Company in Song of the EarthLa Sylphide, and Akram Khan’s GiselleJeffrey Cirio, currently Principal at American Ballet Theater, joins English National Ballet as Lead Principal."

12 minutes ago, California said:

According to an e-mail just sent out by English National Ballet, Jeffrey Cirio is joining as Lead Principal. No indication of whether he will continue an affiliation with ABT.

Wow. He has not really been carrying (i.e. allowed to carry) a very full principal load while at ABT, but if he leaves the company, or reduces his commitment, this would still be a hit, given the current state of the male roster.

Edited by nanushka
12 minutes ago, California said:

"Joining the Company

Following his recent guest performances with the Company in Song of the EarthLa Sylphide, and Akram Khan’s GiselleJeffrey Cirio, currently Principal at American Ballet Theater, joins English National Ballet as Lead Principal."

Oh no!! 

Good for him, though, but even if he still performs with ABT, it will be limited I’m sure. A big loss to them (and us), but, that’s what McKenzie gets for not utilizing a talented principal!

On 5/29/2018 at 1:22 PM, ABT Fan said:

It's confirmed that Gray Davis (husband of Cassandra Trenary) is leaving after the Met season, and will presumably head to Georgia shortly thereafter.

It'll be interesting to see if Lendorf remains on the roster after this season. It's been assumed he's been injured (he was injured awhile back, but is he still (?), I've seen no confirmation), but he's barely danced with the company, pulling out of one performance after another. If he's still injured, I wish him a good recovery. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go. 

Why presumably head to Georgia? Is his wife leaving the company too?

On 3/6/2018 at 2:07 PM, ABT Fan said:

From Cassandra Trenary's Instagram, it looks like her husband, Gray Davis (the subway hero....), may be leaving after the Met season to become the new Artist in Residence at The Georgia Academy of Dance and the Performing Arts. She says that he starts in the Fall and I'm assuming that's a full-time job.

4 minutes ago, chicagoballetomane said:

See above, from the first post on this discussion thread. I don't think there's any indication that Trenary is leaving ABT.

Edited by nanushka
25 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Wow. He has not really been carrying (i.e. allowed to carry) a very full principal load while at ABT, but if he leaves the company, or reduces his commitment, this would still be a hit, given the current state of the male roster.

I think you probably hit the nail on the head.  He was not cast in principal roles.  

54 minutes ago, chicagoballetomane said:

This may have been mentioned upthread, but Gray Davis' mother, Sherri Davis, founded The Georgia Academy of Dance and the Performing Arts in 1990.

I'd be surprised if Trenary left ABT at this point in her career. It's a prestigious company and she's clearly on the track to principal (as well she should be, IMO).

19 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

This may have been mentioned upthread, but Gray Davis' mother, Sherri Davis, founded The Georgia Academy of Dance and the Performing Arts in 1990.

I'd be surprised if Trenary left ABT at this point in her career. It's a prestigious company and she's clearly on the track to principal (as well she should be, IMO).

Are you sure that is Gray's mom?  I do not think it is.

25 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

She is. From Gray Davis' bio on the  Georgia Academy of Dance & the Performing Arts Artistic Staff page:

"Gray Davis, a Georgia Dance Theatre alumnus,  began his training at the Georgia Academy of Dance & the Performing Arts under the directorship of his mother, Sherri Davis."

For some clarification: per Gray Davis' ABT Bio, Sherri Davis is his stepmother: 

"Gray Davis started his training at the Georgia Academy in Peachtree City, Georgia under his stepmother Sherri Davis."