This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Modern Masters

chicagoballetomane

I attended the matinee of the Joffrey’s Modern Masters program today, which I was quite excited to see because Glass Pieces and the 4Ts were on tap!

The Four Temperaments is a masterpiece that never disappoints. The highlight for me was Stefan Goncalvez in Melancholic - his supple back and fluid movement were a joy to behold. I also enjoyed Victoria Jaiani in Choleric, as she completely commanded the stage. Christine Rocas was a bit of a disappointment in Sanguinic as she didn’t quite have the speed or attack that the role requires.

The next two ballets I have no desire to see again. The soundtrack for Body of Your Dreams by Miles Thatcher was humorous, but the choreography had little to do with “music.” Mercifully, this completely frivolous piece was only about 10 minutes long. 

The Nicolas Blanc piece Beyond the Shore has some enjoyable moments. The Broom of the System section was my favorite, followed by the Aerosol Melody section, which featured a great performance by Amanda Assucena. The remainder of the ballet was just too dark to see, and the soundtrack was grating. Maybe I just wasn’t in the right mood, but after the 4Ts, I just didn’t want to see another ballet with dark lighting, fling-her-around partnering, and a series of loud sounds being played as opposed to music. 

After the second and third numbers, Glass Pieces was like a breath of fresh air. Real music! Light that allows the audience to see the dancers! The final section with the male corps de ballet provided an energetic and riveting end to the show. 

Edited by chicagoballetomane