This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Colorado Ballet 2018-19 season

This was just sent out by e-mail. I'm glad they are returning to five programs a year, after cutting back to four for financial reasons the last several years. The addition is the Tour de Force, a joint performance with two local groups, Wonderbound and the Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Companies, March 8-10, at the Opera House.  I'm looking forward to the Wizard of Oz in February; Septime Weber did the Alice (in Wonderland) that was presented a few years ago. My sister's grandchildren loved it, and so did I! (And they sold out well in advance.) Interesting that all productions will be at the Opera House, with nothing at the University of Denver, where they have performed once a year for many years.

Sleeping Beauty | October 5 – 14, 2018
Ellie Caulkins Opera House
Let Colorado Ballet take you to an enchanted world with Sleeping Beauty, choreographed by Marius Petipa, and music by Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky performed live by the Colorado Ballet Orchestra. The fairytale Sleeping Beauty will entertain with captivating fairies, curses, princes and a beautiful princess—all depicted through the artistry of Colorado Ballet’s dancers, along with dreamy costumes and sets.

Performance Dates*
Friday, October 5, 2018 – 7:30pm
Saturday, October 6, 2018 – 2pm
Saturday, October 6, 2018 – 7:30pm
Sunday, October 7, 2018 – 2pm
Thursday, October 11, 2018 – 7:30pm
Friday, October 12, 2018 – 7:30pm
Saturday, October 13, 2018 – 2pm
Saturday, October 13, 2018 – 7:30pm
Sunday, October 14, 2018 – 2pm

email-break2.jpg
The Nutcracker | November 24 – December 24, 2018
Just in time for the holidays, Colorado Ballet’s acclaimed production of The Nutcracker returns for its 58th year. In addition to being the largest production of The Nutcracker in the state, Colorado Ballet’s 2016 production was named the best-loved Nutcracker in the U.S. in the 10th Annual Goldstar National Nutcracker Award Contest. Live music will be performed by the Colorado Ballet Orchestra. Last season’s performance of The Nutcracker sold out, so be sure to get your tickets early!

Performance Dates*

Saturday, November 24, 2018 – 1pm
Saturday, November 24, 2018 – 6:30pm
Sunday, November 25, 2018 – 1pm
Saturday, December 1, 2018 – 1pm
Sunday, December 2, 2018 – 1pm
Sunday, December 2, 2018 – 6:30pm
Thursday, December 6, 2018 – 7:30pm
Friday, December 7, 2018 – 7:30pm
Saturday, December 8, 2018 – 1pm
Saturday, December 8, 2018 – 6:30pm
Sunday, December 9, 2018 – 1pm
Sunday, December 9, 2018 – 6:30pm
Thursday, December 13, 2018 – 7:30pm
Friday, December 14, 2018 – 7:30pm
Saturday, December 15, 2018 – 1pm
Saturday, December 15, 2018 – 6:30pm
Sunday, December 16, 2018 – 1pm
Sunday, December 16, 2018 – 6:30pm
Wednesday, December 19, 2018 – 6:30pm
Thursday, December 20, 2018 – 6:30pm
Friday, December 21, 2018 – 1pm
Friday, December 21, 2018 – 6:30pm
Saturday, December 22, 2018 – 1pm
Saturday, December 22, 2018 – 6:30pm
Sunday, December 23, 2018 – 1pm
Sunday, December 23, 2018 – 6:30pm
Monday, December 24, 2018 – 1pm

The Wizard of Oz | February 1 – 10, 2019
In the winter of 2019, Colorado Ballet will bring a premiere to Colorado—The Wizard of Oz. From the creator of the huge 2014 hit Alice (in wonderland), Septime Webre choreographed The Wizard of Oz for a unique partnership between three esteemed ballet companies. Colorado Ballet has partnered with Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet (Artistic Director Andre Lewis) and Kansas City Ballet (Artistic Director Devon Carney) to bring into existence this new large-scale work that will not only expand the repertoire, but will also delight audiences and critics alike. Music by Matthew Pierce will be performed live by the Colorado Ballet Orchestra. Follow the yellow brick road to new and exciting adventures at Colorado Ballet.

Performance Dates*

Friday, February 1, 2019 – 7:30pm
Saturday, February 2, 2019 – 2pm
Saturday, February 2, 2019 – 7:30pm
Sunday, February 3, 2019 – 2pm
Sunday, February 3, 2019 – 6:30pm 
Friday, February 8, 2019 – 7:30pm
Saturday, February 9, 2019 – 2pm
Saturday, February 9, 2019 – 7:30pm
Sunday, February 10, 2019 – 2pm
Sunday, February 10, 2019 – 6:30pm

email-break2.jpg
Tour De Force | March 8 – 10, 2019
Colorado Ballet will present Tour de Force featuring Colorado Ballet alongside Colorado’s own Wonderbound and Cleo Parker Robinson Dance Companies. This collaborative program will showcase a contemporary work performed by Colorado Ballet, a new work choreographed by Wonderbound Artistic Director Garrett Ammon starring Colorado Ballet and Wonderbound dancers, and a new work choreographed by Artistic Director Cleo Parker Robinson featuring Colorado Ballet and Cleo Parker Robinson Dancers. This vibrant and innovative program will celebrate dance in Colorado and the incredible way that the art of dance can create joy and inspiration.

Performance Dates*

Friday, March 8, 2019 – 7:30pm
Saturday, March 9, 2019 – 2pm
Saturday, March 9, 2019 – 7:30pm
Sunday, March 10, 2019 – 2pm

email-break2.jpg
Ballet Masterworks | April 5 – 14, 2019
Carmina Burana 
Closing out the 2018/2019 season, Ballet Masterworks at the Ellie Caulkins Opera house will feature Carmina Burana, and a second work to be announced. For the first time in nearly 20 years, Colorado Ballet will perform Carmina Burana. Choreography by former Colorado Ballet Artistic Director Fernand Nault. The evocative and powerful music by Carl Orff will be performed live by the Colorado Ballet Orchestra and chorus.

Performance Dates*

Friday, April 5, 2019 – 7:30pm
Saturday, April 6, 2019 – 2pm
Saturday, April 6, 2019 – 7:30pm
Sunday, April 7, 2019 – 2pm
Thursday, April 11, 2019 – 7:30pm
Friday, April 12, 2019 – 7:30pm
Saturday, April 13, 2019 – 7:30pm
Sunday, April 14, 2019 – 2pm

email-break2.jpg
Please Note:
  • Subscriber renewal packets will be mailed in April.
  • Season Tickets on Sale Soon. Single Tickets on Sale in July 15, 2018.
  • To purchase new or additional season tickets, call 303-837-8888 ext. 2. Benefits of becoming a season subscriber include 25% off all performances, free ticket exchanges, priority seating and much more.

Let me add a little more about the collaborative program Tour de Force.

The Cleo Parker Robinson company is African-American: https://cleoparkerdance.org/

Wonderbound is a contemporary group: https://wonderbound.com/

In recent years, there has been a lively debate in Denver about the allocation of funding from the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District http://scfd.org/

and a major foundation, Bonfils-Stanton https://bonfils-stantonfoundation.org/

Some of the debate has been the allocation of funds to the largest, best-established organizations vs the smaller/outreach groups. This looks to me a great project that addresses some of those concerns.

I just have to brag a little with this clip of Francisco Estevez and Asuka Sasaki doing a gorgeous torchlift in the Colorado Ballet's Nutcracker this season. Very exciting.

I haven't seen this in Denver since Alexei Tyukov and Maria Mossina retired. In truth, this looks as good as clips I've seen of the same move in Ratmansky's version for ABT - actually, better than many attempts there. 

Edited by California

Unfortunately, hardly anybody who reads this site can get to a performance this weekend of Tour de Force, an imaginative collaboration of three local companies in Denver. Too bad!

The MOVE/ment: world premiere, choreographed by Cleo Parker Robinson. Dancers from both Robinson's company and the Colorado  Ballet.

Set to a medley of recorded music of spirituals, voice-overs, and other contemporary songs, this one featured a series of duets, solos, and ensemble pieces. She moves groups around in intriguing, complex ways that reminded me of Justin Peck's talent in that regard. All in barefeet and all seemed to be having a great time.

Traveling Alone: Amy Seiwert did this a few year ago for Colorado Ballet. Music by Max Richter (recorded). Very serious contemporary ballet. Three couples framed Dana Benton, partnered by Francisco Estevez.

Creatures of Promethus: another world premiere, choreographed by Garrett Ammon, director of the local Wonderbound company of contemporary ballet. Set to excerpts from Beethoven's The Creatures of Prometheus. My favorite, by a mile. Ten couples, all in soft ballet shoes, half from Wonderbound and the rest from Colorado Ballet. This reminded me so much of the style of Jiri Kylian's Six Dances to Mozart. Not in the sense of plagiarism! But in the sense of a light-hearted, funny, surprising, movement-packed whirlwind to serious classical music. This clip of the opening immediately reminded me of a Kylian tableau:

I wish there were more opportunities to see Kylian's Six Dances. I saw it paired with Petite Mort at Pacific Northwest in 2010, but most companies in recent years only seem to do the latter. Both to Mozart. Similar costumes. Overlapping ideas. Very funny deadpan comedy. A few short clips on YouTube.