This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Opera director John Copley fired from the Met

35 minutes ago, Vs1 said:

Well, maybe he learned about the horrors of saying or doing something.  Not be nice to victims, but rather, don't expose oneself to suffer, loss, or worse

Does it matter what his motive is, if it results in the wished-for behavior, which is to stop making sexualized remarks in the workplace?

35 minutes ago, Helene said:

Anyone who is willing to make a complaint risks being treated as a whistleblower, which is a dog's life.  It has to be worth the risk, or the complainant wouldn't have rejected the union route and have gone to management.

Though of course he might not have fully anticipated the effects of his choice. So it has to have been thought worth the risk at the time, and he could have different feelings now. Just a possibility, I'm not suggesting that's necessarily the case.

Edited by nanushka
15 minutes ago, Helene said:

That is true, @nanushka, and he could have misread the tide, especially when men raise the complaint.

This whole conversation literally makes no sense.

I was speaking to an earlier commenter on this thread who said they had experienced sexual harassment and yet was castigating the person who reported Copely at great length. I was saying SHE had not learned compassion. This entire offshoot of the conversation has been from Vs1 quoting me out of context and seemingly not understanding what I wrote.

Edited by aurora
4 minutes ago, aurora said:

This whole conversation literally makes no sense.

I was speaking to an earlier commentor on this thread who said they had experienced sexual harassment and was castigating the person who reported Copely at great length. I was saying SHE had not learned compassion. This entire offshoot of the conversation has been from Vs1 quoting me out of context and seemingly not understanding what I wrote.

True, I think. But taking Vs1's comment to be referring to the alleged victim (which your original reference was not), I think it does make sense.

Edited to add:

Actually, I think Vs1's original comment may have been about Copley, and then we switched to talking about the chorus member.

Edited by nanushka
31 minutes ago, Helene said:

That is true, @nanushka, and he could have misread the tide, especially when men raise the complaint.

True. He opens himself up to criticism from multiple sides. ("Maybe he wasn't enough of a man to take it.") ("Maybe he was being homophobic.") (“Maybe he isn’t fluent in English.”) (etc.)

Edited by nanushka
Just now, nanushka said:

True, I think. But taking Vs1's comment to be referring to the alleged victim (which your original reference was not), I think it does make sense.

But I was quoted and then misinterpreted. why would the victim learn compassion from being victimized? Or was it Copely who would have from being called out... I actually can't understand what Vs1 was saying.

1 minute ago, aurora said:

But I was quoted and then misinterpreted. why would the victim learn compassion from being victimized? Or was it Copely who would have from being called out... I actually can't understand what Vs1 was saying.

No, you're right, you were I think. I edited to add what I think is an explanation of how the convo proceeded above.

10 hours ago, Vs1 said:

? Is it better elsewhere?

It  depends on context, a remark like that wouldn't get you sacked in Britain, under some circumstances such as a history of offending colleagues it could result in a reprimand from HR (three such reprimands and you're out) but if said in a jocular way, it would offend no one.   The London theatre scene is notoriously louche and if sexual innuendo offends people they are in the wrong profession.   There is total incredulity and a great deal of anger here over Copley's treatment, I have no doubt that in the UK he could make a case of unfair dismissal and win.