Sign in to follow this  
its the mom

Akram Khan's Giselle/Cinema

Me too, but I don't think we'll get a cinecast.  But with this happening, we could get a DVD!

On Harris Theater's twitter feed they are saying that this is a "US-exclusive".

Hmmmm, wonder if that means we Canadians might see it in Ottawa.

44 minutes ago, kbarber said:

Hmmmm, wonder if that means we Canadians might see it in Ottawa.

The NY Times article cites the very high cost --  perhaps exclusivity was part of the deal. Still, Chicago in late February can be dicey weather-wise.

"Ms. Barretto said the costs of bringing the production were high. “When I put the numbers together, I almost fell off my chair,” she said. A trustee, Caryn Harris and her husband. King (a member of the Harris family for which the theater is named), agreed to provide a substantial proportion of the budget, enabling the Harris to bring around 95 members of English National Ballet — dancers, the artistic team and production staff — to Chicago."

5 hours ago, kbarber said:

Nooooooo!  Chicago in February is a real weather crap-shoot!

4 hours ago, sandik said:

Nooooooo!  Chicago in February is a real weather crap-shoot!

It sure is! My February trips to Chicago have always gone wrong on some level, but that's when the Harris Theater seems to schedule marquee ballet tours.

Could a moderator please change the heading to correct the spelling of Akram Khan's name?

3 hours ago, JMcN said:

Could a moderator please change the heading to correct the spelling of Akram Khan's name?

I think it is a common error with his name.  Sorry about that.

Agree with everyone above, traveling to Chicago in February would not be my choice, but I really do want to see this ballet.  

12 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

It sure is! My February trips to Chicago have always gone wrong on some level, but that's when the Harris Theater seems to schedule marquee ballet tours.

You aren't kidding. Last time I went there in February my flights were cancelled in both directions...

I'm taking my chances on a trip from LA to Chicago in winter, but I really want to see Akram Khan's Giselle and ENB, and  so have bought tickets to two performances.  Fingers crossed.

I remember seeing the clips Cirio posted on Instagram and found them intriguing. I definitely would love to see this in cinemas but the ENB, unlike the RB, doesn't to cinema broadcast in the US it seems.

Posted (edited)

I saw one preview and the official world premiere as well as a couple of other performances in Manchester and Liverpool.

I must admit to being a huge fan of Akram Khan and I was totally blown away by this production.  I saw 3 casts and they were all tremendous but, for me, James Streeter was truly outstanding as Albrecht.

Overall the production was very well received - in Liverpool it got standing ovations at all the performances I saw (a near miracle in Liverpool) but I think it could be a bit marmite.  One friend refuses to even mention it and another walked out at the first interval.  Everyone else I know who saw it had the same reaction as me.

BTW, it seemed to be only one chain of cinemas (Vue) that showed the cinecast in the UK and I couldn't get to any of them near-ish to me.

I hope people are able to get to Chicago in February and enjoy the production as much as I did.

Edited by JMcN

Sign in to follow this