mnacenani

Marie-Agnes Gillot and Karl Paquette Last Bows

M-A Gillot is due to take her last bows on 31st March at the end of "Orphée et Eurydice" by Pina Bausch. Karl Paquette is due to bow out in December and has chosen Cinderella for his farewell

Such a beautiful woman, perhaps modelling could become a career move for her.

Posted (edited)

Wonderful videos....thank you. 

Sadly, POB remains very unfamiliar to me. I saw them a handful of times in the pre-Nureyev days, and perhaps twice after he became director.  And that is pretty much it...though I also saw Letestu and Martinez dance in a gala in New York when she was more or less in her prime.

Some of the company's repertory choices are baffling to me. But they have had any number of great dancers whose careers I entirely missed getting even a glimpse of on tour. Gillot is one of them.

Edited by Drew
typo

When the POB visited the United States in 2012 it hadn't toured the country in some 20 years. Obviously American audiences missed the careers of many French dancers as a result. But on that tour Gillot danced Myrtha, Béjart's Bolero and Bausch's Eurydice, and she was sensational in all those roles.

6 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

When the POB visited the United States in 2012 it hadn't toured the country in some 20 years. Obviously American audiences missed the careers of many French dancers as a result. But on that tour Gillot danced Myrtha, Béjart's Bolero and Bausch's Eurydice, and she was sensational in all those roles.

I was disappointed to miss out on that tour. I was deciding whether to come up to New York for their planned summer 2018 tour when it was cancelled.

From the casting for Sasha Waltz's Romeo and Juliet at the POB Web site, I noticed that Herve Moreau is not listed. Has he decided to retire quietly without a farewell performance?

1 hour ago, miliosr said:

From the casting for Sasha Waltz's Romeo and Juliet at the POB Web site, I noticed that Herve Moreau is not listed. Has he decided to retire quietly without a farewell performance?

That is correct, though he has battled with injuries for the last few years. That may be why.

The Royal Ballet has similar problems with injuries, perhaps if they just performed the classical rep there wouldn't be such a strain on their bodies.

Mathilde Froustey posted this footage of Marie-Agnes and Aurelie Dupont's improvised dance at the retirement ceremony:

Just this week I saw (on youtube) a peformance of Gillot as Myrtha (with Pujol and LeRiche).  Her grand jetes were astonishing!