This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Red Sparrow" Coming Up in March ......

The picture is getting a hard "R."  

Now, don't get too excited. Nowhere does it say that Jennifer Lawrence is getting graphically nude, and in this social climate, it's a safe bet that this will be male nudity. We do know that there is a naked shower fight between Lawrence and a male attacker, and throughout all the footage so far, various characters have told Sparrow to 'take off' her clothes. In terms of violence, the movie is bringing out the big guns, literally, and should be a treat for action fans who don't like their beef drained of blood. It sounds like a true romp.....

I guess "romp" doesn't have quite the same meaning in movies as formerly........

I went to a special preview, was so disappointed and bored that I left after an hour. It’s hard to believe that it’s generated positive reviews. Every character and performance was over the top. Very little dancing, not memorable. 

I agree, Peg.  Even though it has many good actors they are not put to good use,  the story is confusing and not even very spy thriller-intense imo. No chemistry between Jennifer Lawrence and Joel Edgerton. The most deliciously campy lines go to Mary Louise Parker, almost worth the price of admission. They did do a very good job of cgi'ing Jennifer's head on Isabella's body but the choreography was no great shakes and the dance sequence very brief. In no way did Jennifer L look the part of a Bolshoi prima. Toward the end Jennifer's character attends the ballet and although the stage is seen from a distance you can easily tell it is Isabella dancing and she does get a cast credit as Princess Aurora dancer. However, at my cinema it was a sell out and I bet it does good business. If it makes money this is based on book one of a trilogy so....

Thanks for the reviews, all. I may still see it out of curiosity, assuming there's nothing better to do. :)

If it makes money this is based on book one of a trilogy so....

Apparently the movie isn't doing so well at the box office.