This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sarasota @ Joyce Aug. 2018

mussel

I enjoyed them so much last year that I bought tickets to several performances right away without knowing what they would be performing, since it had not been announced.

Big mistake. I just looked at the Joyce's website and the rep is up. I could not be more disappointed. For a 6 performance run they are only performing 3 pieces plus 1 performance of "TBD Divertissements by Ricardo Graziano". And out of those 3 pieces only one is by Ashton. One. Only 1 Ashton. 

There is a special program for both shows on Saturday "(In honor of the 30th anniversary of Ashton’s death)" consisting of:

Varii Capricci by Frederick Ashton
TBD Divertissements by Ricardo Graziano
Symphony of Sorrow by Ricardo Graziano

Don't ask me how that honors the anniversary of Ashton's death, unless Graziano is arranging Ashton divertissements, which I think would be unlikely.

And this is the program to be performed at all of the other performances:

There where she loved by Christopher Wheeldon

I am just amazed that this company that has made its reputation on its productions of Ashton's ballets is bringing such a small, weak rep with so little Ashton.

Next time I'll wait for them to announce the rep!

23 minutes ago, nysusan said:

I enjoyed them so much last year that I bought tickets to several performances right away without knowing what they would be performing, since it had not been announced.

Big mistake. I just looked at the Joyce's website and the rep is up. I could not be more disappointed. For a 6 performance run they are only performing 3 pieces plus 1 performance of "TBD Divertissements by Ricardo Graziano". And out of those 3 pieces only one is by Ashton. One. Only 1 Ashton. 

There is a special program for both shows on Saturday "(In honor of the 30th anniversary of Ashton’s death)" consisting of:

TBD Divertissements by Ricardo Graziano

Don't ask me how that honors the anniversary of Ashton's death, unless Graziano is arranging Ashton divertissements, which I think would be unlikely.

And this is the program to be performed at all of the other performances:

There where she loved by Christopher Wheeldon

I am just amazed that this company that has made its reputation on its productions of Ashton's ballets is bringing such a small, weak rep with so little Ashton.

Next time I'll wait for them to announce the rep!

We only have tickets for Saturday, so it looks like we'll be seeing the "special" program.  I agree that it would be nice if Graziano is arranging Ashton divertissements....but who knows. 

Hello!

I do hope this isn't inappropriate to comment here regarding this, but I work for The Sarasota Ballet and I thought I would tell you that there is a rather large error on the Joyce website regarding the repertoire. I know we have spoken with the Joyce about this and hopefully it will be fixed on their site soon.

However, just for you all to know, the repertoire is the following:

Program 1

Sir Frederick Ashton's Monotones I & II   |   Ricardo Graziano's Symphony of Sorrows   |   Christopher Wheeldon's There Where She Loved

Program 2

Starts with Wheeldon's There Where She Loved and then to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Ashton's passing the program will include Monotones I & II and four Ashton diverts/extracts (La Chatte Métamorphosée en Femme; the pas de trois from Les Patineurs; Méditation from Thaïs; and the final pas de deux from The Two Pigeons, performed by Victoria Hulland and guest artist Marcelo Gomes).

I hope that clears up the mistake (and hopefully any disappointment as well!)

1 hour ago, Ettore said:

Program 2

Starts with Wheeldon's There Where She Loved and then to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Ashton's passing the program will include Monotones I & II and four Ashton diverts/extracts (La Chatte Métamorphosée en Femme; the pas de trois from Les Patineurs; Méditation from Thaïs; and the final pas de deux from The Two Pigeons, performed by Victoria Hulland and guest artist Marcelo Gomes).

Ettore - Thank you for posting this update! The Joyce website is now correct ... and while I was there I bought a ticket to Program 2. 😁

There's never enough Ashton.

2 hours ago, Ettore said:

Hello!

I do hope this isn't inappropriate to comment here regarding this, but I work for The Sarasota Ballet and I thought I would tell you that there is a rather large error on the Joyce website regarding the repertoire. I know we have spoken with the Joyce about this and hopefully it will be fixed on their site soon.

Program 1

Sir Frederick Ashton's Monotones I & II   |   Ricardo Graziano's Symphony of Sorrows   |   Christopher Wheeldon's There Where She Loved

Program 2

Ettore, thank you so much for clearing that up. I can never see Monotones enough so now all disappointment is gone and I am thrilled that i have tickets to 4 performances. I may have to break my "no Saturday matinee" rule and buy another ticket so I can see the Ashton diverts twice. Once everybody in NY knows that Marcelo is dancing on Saturday those 2 performances will surely sell out so I'm buying that extra ticket now!

53 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Ettore - Thank you for posting this update! The Joyce website is now correct ... and while I was there I bought a ticket to Program 2. 😁

There's never enough Ashton.

20 minutes ago, nysusan said:

Ettore, thank you so much for clearing that up. I can never see Monotones enough so now all disappointment is gone and I am thrilled that i have tickets to 4 performances. I may have to break my "no Saturday matinee" rule and buy another ticket so I can see the Ashton diverts twice. Once everybody in NY knows that Marcelo is dancing on Saturday those 2 performances will surely sell out so I'm buying that extra ticket now! 

Happy to have helped, and hopefully see you at the Joyce and maybe even Sarasota!

3 hours ago, Ettore said:

Hello!

Program 1

Program 2

Thank you so much for all of the information!  I am looking forward to seeing The Sarasota Ballet, and also delighted that I will also be seeing Marcelo!

Anyone still undecided about going to Sarasota Ballet's Program 2 - Saturday performances at the Joyce (with Gomes guesting) had better act fast.   Orchestra is sold out for both performances, but there are some Loge tickets (side) still available.

No reports? 

I was there last night. This is my first viewing of Sarasota Ballet. I thought Monotones I and II was lovely. I've only seen this piece once before and didn't appreciate it; here, it was luminous and poetic. Only problem was one of the women in the first section was very wobbly; in this piece that is very exposed and distracting. However, I loved the woman in the second part (Victoria Hulland?). I also enjoyed the Wheeldon piece, There Where She Loved. Never seen this before and found it intriguing, with lots of distinctive solo sections. Loved the music and singing. As I am new to the dancers, it's hard to single any out, but I thought several of them were wonderful, especially two tall women. Clean, appealing, unmannered dancing overall, and the program looked very well prepared and rehearsed. The one sour note... Symphony of Sorrows... overwrought portentous repetitive. From the "Acrobatic Lifting" school of modern choreography, with hunky barechested men and limp, depressed women. No thanks. 

3 hours ago, cobweb said:

No reports? 

I was there last night. This is my first viewing of Sarasota Ballet. I thought Monotones I and II was lovely. I've only seen this piece once before and didn't appreciate it; here, it was luminous and poetic. Only problem was one of the women in the first section was very wobbly; in this piece that is very exposed and distracting. However, I loved the woman in the second part (Victoria Hulland?). I also enjoyed the Wheeldon piece, There Where She Loved. Never seen this before and found it intriguing, with lots of distinctive solo sections. Loved the music and singing. As I am new to the dancers, it's hard to single any out, but I thought several of them were wonderful, especially two tall women. Clean, appealing, unmannered dancing overall, and the program looked very well prepared and rehearsed. The one sour note... Symphony of Sorrows... overwrought portentous repetitive. From the "Acrobatic Lifting" school of modern choreography, with hunky barechested men and limp, depressed women. No thanks. 

Thanks for the review!   I saw Sarasota Ballet a few years ago, and they were lovely.  I'm looking forward to Monotones I and II and the Wheeldon ballet.   I only have the other program with pdd for the third act. 

I've seen both casts of this first program and have been enjoying it, albeit with some reservations that I'll try to go into later. Amy Wood has been my favorite dancer so far, but I miss Danielle Brown. I really liked her last time they were here. Anyone know if she is still dancing with them?

From the time I attended a performance of Monotones by ABT approximately three years ago, I have deemed this ballet—partly on account of Satie’s haunting music—a stupendous work. Therefore, the Sarasota Ballet’s presentations this week of Monotones at the Joyce Theater have been—despite the inordinate wobbling in part I by Ryoko Sadoshima on Wednesday and inapt smiling by Kate Honea last night—manna from heaven for ballet lovers in New York during these hot, lazy days of summer. As proven by their respective performances on successive evenings in the other works of the first program also—Symphony of Sorrows and There Where She Loved—Sadoshima and Honea are not only excellent dancers but gorgeous women to boot. In particular, alongside her artistry, the exquisite shapeliness of Honea (who joined the company in 2001) leads me to suspect that La Chatte will be among the highlights of this weekend's programming.

Even though Monotones I is marvelous, the commonly held belief as to the superiority of Monotones II is correct. (Concurrently, Satie's Gnossiennes are moving; his Gymnopedies, even more so.) The height and extensive limbs of Amy Wood can create an appearance of unwieldiness during some maneuvering required by the choreography in Monotones II. However, by the same token this expansiveness makes various arabesques, turns, lifts breathtaking. In the same pivotal role, the captivating Victoria Hulland displays becoming majesty and requisite elegance.

As gloomy and brooding a work as the music it is set to, Graziano's Symphony of Sorrows includes some tortuous choreography and may be unappetizing to many people. By contrast, Wheeldon’s There Where She Loved—with attractive music played live (alternating songs by Chopin and Weill)—is markedly brighter and encompasses a greater emotional range. The Sarasota Ballet's depth of talent was confirmed on Thursday evening when second casts, including two young women who joined the company in 2016, gave superb performances of both pieces. A searing, profound effort by Hulland in a somber pas de deux ended the evening, and makes me eager to view the upcoming segment from The Two Pigeons. In addition, however, to La Chatte the casting for the Pas de Trois from Les Patineurs and Méditation from Thaïs looks extraordinarily promising.

I have tickets for today’s performances but am thinking about going tomorrow  as well. The Joyce site says tickets are available - but then keeps declining the purchase saying something is wrong with my credit card when that is not the case. Anyone have any further info, are they sold out?

ETA never mind. At the box office I got a ticket for tomorrow. There are a few left. 

Edited by cobweb

Undoubtedly: Time is the mother of all tsunamis! All we come in contact with—even if looming large in our memory—in due course recedes further and further ... into the background. This idea is conveyed powerfully in Symphony of Sorrows with the entrances and exits by the dancers occurring via the "dark void" upstage. The ballet’s ending is a continuation of the way it begins, its final image being—paradoxically—hauntingly beautiful….

One performance I found particularly affecting in Ricardo Graziano's work was that of Ellen Overstreet. The capacity of this dancer to transform the tortuous movement in the choreography into something appearing entirely natural is wonderful to behold.

Another notable performance materialized in There Where She Loved. There is a fascinating parallelism between the first movement in Wheeldon's work, set to Chopin's Zyczenie (The Wish), and its fourth, set to Weill's Nannas Lied (Nanna's Song). The choreography for both is for the same dancers, a woman and four men. In this role Christine Windsor is outstanding!

Edited by Royal Blue

ITA with NinaFan about today’s matinee, especially Monotones, which I found magnetic and moving. I am enjoying these performances so much that I am eyeing airfare to Sarasota.  I saw Les Patineurs once before, many years ago as a teenager. Can’t remember where - perhaps on one of the occasional trips to NYC, or more likely, some touring company that came through my area circa 1980. That one long-ago performance left an indelible impression. I was looking very forward to today’s excerpt and it did not disappoint except for being way too short to satisfy my eagerness. When the three dancers ran offstage I was hoping this was just a prelude to solo variations... but alas! So maybe to Sarasota to see the full length in December. Maybe. Meanwhile thoroughly enjoying the clean clean style and thorough preparation these dancers show, along with a fascinating rep that is almost entirely unknown to me. On to tonight!

ps. nysusan, I would be inerested to hear your reservations. I always find commentary on here, pro and con, to be informative, and maybe especially so with rep that is so new to me. 

ETA OT: racking my memory and a quick internet search indicates it must have been the Joffrey I saw doing that memorable Les Patineurs so many years ago. I saw them on tour in my out-of-the-way area, and I wore my Joffrey t-shirt till it fell apart. 

Edited by cobweb

As I surmised Kate Honea proved awesome in La Chatte; my enjoyment of the final Pas de Deux from The Two Pigeons exceeded the high expectations that had been created by Marcelo Gomes' legion of fans; in a week filled with wonderful performances that of Saturday evening's Monotones II was the most heartbreakingly beautiful.

Edited by Royal Blue
23 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I am curious about the training of the dancers. The program and website don’t give any info about the background of the dancers. I can’t imagine they all come from the associated school... or can they??

They don't. You have to Google each dancer to learn more about their training and prior experience - although the little flag on each dancer's headshot does provide a clue. For instance, Thomas Giugovaz — who was very impressive in Monotones 1 — is from Italy. A quick Google search reveals that he trained at the La Scala school. 

I'm not sure why Sarasota is so coy about their dancers' training and prior experience. (And you have to be at least a coryphée to even get a bio on the website.) Perhaps the intention is to keep the audience focussed on the here-and-now and to make it clear that the company is a company and not a pick-up troupe.