This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018-19 Season

6 hours ago, silvermash said:

I think what Nureyev brought from what he learnt from his time at Kirov is just fine, it's his own additions and reworked of choreographical aspects which are debatable... The third act of Raymonda is indeed beautiful, Bayadère as well and it's his most achieved ballet IMO... Swan Lake has some issues, Romeo and Juliet and Cinderella, well.... Staging is often questioned but the choreography is really unrealistic...

I have heard although not seen personally Nureyev choreography and the thing that stuck with me was a performer saying he felt it was almost "hard for the sake of being hard". I can't help  but wonder if the prodigy type talent Nureyev had made certain technical ablilities seem more attainable than they really are for even the most accomplished of dancers and that is why his stagings are known to be "so hard".

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:42 PM, Kaysta said:

I am making my first trip to Paris in March and picked up some Swan Lake tickets.  I don’t really care that much about casting, as I’m just excited to see the Palais Garnier, but when in general is casting listed?

The official casts are published 15 days before the run starts. But yeah, as Mashinka mentioned Dansomanie usually publishes the info before the company does. 

Mathieu Ganio is the most otherwordly Prince Siegfried, Mathias Heymann is also great. 

Ould-Braham, Hecquet and Albisson are terrific Odette/Odiles. 

Edited by Colette
On 11/24/2018 at 10:42 PM, Kaysta said:

I am making my first trip to Paris in March and picked up some Swan Lake tickets.  I don’t really care that much about casting, as I’m just excited to see the Palais Garnier, but when in general is casting listed?

Oh, I really don't want to disappoint you, but "Swan lake" will take place in Opéra Bastille - as all Nureyev's ballets in Paris...

I think that Hugo Marchand could be a good Siegfried too, especially if he dances with Dorothée Gilbert - they're great together.

I'm less convinced by Amandine Albisson, who, too often in my opinion, doesn't pay attention enough to her partner - but she's indeed a beautiful dancer, with a strong technique and beautiful lines. Maybe we can hope to see the new "Première danseuse" Héloïse Bourdon, who danced Odette/Odile at the Mariinsky a few years ago.

On 11/24/2018 at 4:42 PM, Kaysta said:

Fantastic!  (I think of the whole city as a ballet --  a really great ballet!)

(If the Swan Lake is in the Opera Bastille as mentioned above, then perhaps you can still find a way to see the Palais Garnier--perhaps there are tours --and don't worry if you know French or not since you just want to get inside--or other performances taking place there.)

Yes, Swan Lake is in Opéra Bastille. it works well there.

In Nureyev Swan Lake, Rothbart is a very important character and quite often the most interesting of the evening. In any case, it's important that the 2 male dancers are matching well....

Usually the casting for these 3 main roles are known about at least one month before, albeit injuries among the selected dancers but it will come after the winter break... Considering it starts mid-February, the dancers will start rehearsing in December so perhaps we will know it tentatively earlier or at the last minute 😉

6 hours ago, Drew said:

Fantastic!  (I think of the whole city as a ballet --  a really great ballet!)

(If the Swan Lake is in the Opera Bastille as mentioned above, then perhaps you can still find a way to see the Palais Garnier--perhaps there are tours --and don't worry if you knoew French or not since you just want to get inside--or other performances taking place there.)

There are public tours in English of the Palais Garnier

Thanks, you are all correct, it is at Opera Bastille.  I was thinking the seating chart looked big in comparison to the pictures, now I know why!  And to think I booked a hotel right outside Palais Garnier! 😆

I’ll just have to do the public tour, as was nicely suggested!

Edited by Kaysta