This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alyona Kovalyova

mnacenani

Having only seen her briefly in several video clips, at only 19 years old, she is perhaps my favorite along with the amazing Olga Smirnova. Both have followed similar paths. Olga Smirnova is probably destined to be one of the greatest and most fascinating but Alyona Kovalyova is perhaps today’s most beautiful. 

As only a Soloist she’ll already get a second time at Swan Lake on the 16th. I wish her much success and expect to hear a great deal of good news about her.

Edited by Buddy

One of the main features that I like so much about Alyona Kovalyova is her extending into space, largely the result of her longe limbs. This she shares with the Mariinsky’s Oksana Skorik, whom I see as her counterpart for pure beauty of motion. Oksana Skorik has a noticeable refinement and, when focused upon it, a very fine expression of poetry. Alyona Kovalyova has an innocent loveliness. She is what poets write about.

A dancer with shorter limbs has to compensate with such things  as expressiveness. Out of curiosity I just watched a video clip of Galina Ulanova, a short limbed ballerina, but one of the greatest, most enchanting and most beautiful ever. How did she deal with this? First, she really reached out and projected her motion. Also she could energize her outward motion. Beyond all this she had magnificent expression in her limbs. I must add that she had magnificent expression everywhere which makes isolating parts, such as I’m doing here, only one element of a totality that is probably much greater than the sum of its parts.

Looking around the internet I’ve been able to see the White Swan duet from her second Swan Lake performed two nights ago and it goes well beyond anything that I’ve seen her do. Besides her exceptional beauty of motion, this shows a mature serenity and calm that permeates both her dance and her character. It’s quite remarkable for a young lady of only 19 years. 

Makhar Vaziev, Artistic Director of the Bolshoi Ballet, has cited her “intelligence”. Here, combined with wonderful sensitivity, it seems very evident. It’s a well thought out, yet totally relaxed and unforced interpretation. It has poetry, depth, expression, loveliness, technical fineness and heart touching beauty.

I don’t think that there’s any doubt that she’s remarkable and has an amazing career ahead of her.

If you want to read previous and ongoing discussion look here and at several other related Bolshoi topics.
http://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/42333-is-alyona-kovalyova-zvezda-material/

Edited by Buddy
spelling correction

Also from her posted Instagrams it seems that she leads about as happy a normal teenager's existence away from the theater as is possible. I think that this is great and hope that it can be a rewarding part of her artistic life as well.

Edited by Buddy