This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Balanchine's Birthday celebration 2018?

I was hunting on the NYCB site to see what was planned for this year... there are often interesting lecture demos, etc... (there is still this on the website, but, given that the 21st is a Sunday this year, it must not be current:   https://www.nycballet.com/Season-Tickets/Saturday-at-the-Ballet-with-George.aspx)

They seem to be presenting an all Balanchine program on the 23rd, but there is no mention of lectures or demonstrations...   Am I looking in the wrong place?  Or was this all pulled together in the past by Peter Martins and with him away no one has picked up the slack?

Perhaps because the State Theater has been rented instead to Shen Yui for the 21st?  I'm still surprised there is not more...  The more I think about it, the more I imagine it would be the job of the director of Education who organized the events...   Maybe I just haven't hunted through the website thoroughly enough?    Did they not do one last year? (I'm afraid I was out of commission at the time and not checking ballet calendars)

Edited by Amy Reusch

1.  The company’s season doesn’t start until 1/23 (after Mr. B’s birthday, which was on 1/22).

2.  The first Saturday in the season (1/27) has 2 all-Balanchine programs. 

3.  At 11 am on 1/27, there is a special program in the auditorium of NYST on Balanchine’s Apollo. The current description of the program (from NYCB’s website) is: “Join us as we explore the masterwork George Balanchine referred to as the “turning point” in his life: Apollo. Choreographed in 1928 for the Ballet Russes, Apollo is one of the oldest Balanchine ballets in NYCB’s repertory and the first major work created with his long-time collaborator Igor Stravinsky. See Apollo anew at this presentation hosted by Principal Dancer Adrian Danchig-Waring.”  (Sidenote: it was originally going to be hosted by Peter Martins...)

Tickets for the Apollo program may be bought at the NYST box office. 

On 1/2/2018 at 10:34 PM, vipa said:

This is nice but it pales in comparison to the past markings of Mr. B's birthday.

Which past birthday events do you remember? Is there something you'd like them to do?

I've been to at least three of the past Balanchine Birthday celebrations. Twice they did a lecture demo with SAB senior division students onstage. One year Peter called on Silas Farley to demonstrate a lot and it seemed clear Farley would make it into the company. They may have offered other events that I didn't attend on the same day (full family ballet classes come to mind). Another year they had most of the women principals dance and then speak about certain solos. The dancing was great, and I remember being charmed that they all mentioned their nerves at speaking onstage.

Ashley Bouder danced Nutcracker

Sara Mearns danced Symph in C 
Rebecca Krohn danced Elegy
Tiler Peck danced Allegro B
Megan Fairchild danced Tchai Pas
Maria K danced Western Symph
Sterling Hyltin danced Mozartiana

I'm planning to attend the Apollo event. Whatever they do has to fit in with a two performance schedule, since it's always happened on a Saturday.

Edited by BalanchineFan

They used to have these lecture demonstrations for the Balanchine birthday Saturday in the late afternoon, after the matinee but before the evening show.  11AM on a Saturday is just cruel.

Also, the event used to be free, but now they are charging  for it.  When it was free, the tickets were gone almost immediately.  There seem to be a good number of seats left at the moment. 

7 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Which past birthday events do you remember? Is there something you'd like them to do?

There was quite a fun one a number of years ago. Everything but the mat. & eve. performances were free. There was a movie about Balanchine, numerous panel discussions, Martins teaching the advanced students on stage. Even a vodka toast to Mr. B. It is true that the free tickets went fast.

2 hours ago, nanushka said:

Perhaps something low-key is for the best after all this year. I imagine a bigger celebration this month might feel a bit off for many in the company and audience, no matter what their feelings about recent developments.

That’s so funny...I had just been thinking that if ever there were a year to have a full throttle Balanchine birthday celebration to reaffirm what this company is about, THIS is the year!  But you may be being more psychologically astute. I just know that, more even than usual, I wish I could be at NYCB this month attending every single all Balanchine program and cheering extra loudly. 

24 minutes ago, Drew said:

That’s so funny...I had just been thinking that if ever there were a year to have a full throttle Balanchine birthday celebration to reaffirm what this company is about, THIS is the year!  But you may be being more psychologically astute. I just know that, more even than usual, I wish I could be at NYCB this month attending every single all Balanchine program and cheering extra loudly. 

Yes, I definitely feel that too. I'll be at a few!