This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see a discussion here about this. It comes out next November. I believe it was rumored Misty Copeland would star, but it appears they gave up on ballet and cast Keira Knightley instead as the Sugar Plum Fairy. (You may want to have a drink in your hand before watching and especially listening to the trailer.)

I think it looks pretty awesome!  I thought the dancer I saw in the trailer was African American? I didn't see Keira Knightley...I'll have to watch more closley.

Edit- ok, so I think they're both in it.  The pink haired one was Knightley as the Sugar Plum.  I hope they don't make her dance though (unless she had ballet training?)...the dancing I did see looked good!

Edited by Balletwannabe

Many thanks for posting, Anthony_NYC, and it's good to hear from you. The drink in hand is well advised. The director, Lasse Hallstrom, has done some good work, so there's hope.

Looks like Copeland is a sort of specialty act in a show-within-a-show.

Yeah, I guess I missed Misty, but she’s not the star, anyway. What I hate in the trailer is the portentous treatment of the music for the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy. Hollywood seems to have only one mode these days. But trailers are usually awful regardless of the quality of the movie, so I guess we’ll see.